Which US Credit Cards Accepts Grab App?

Old Feb 13, 2018, 2:01 pm
Original Poster

Which US Credit Cards Accepts Grab App?

I will be in SE Asia and was planning to use the Grab ride share app. I tried to enter my credit card and It will not accept it. I used both citibank and chase issued debit and credit cards and no go.

I want to see which bank cards are acceptable.
Old Feb 14, 2018, 9:00 am

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
Originally Posted by skyline101
I will be in SE Asia and was planning to use the Grab ride share app. I tried to enter my credit card and It will not accept it. I used both citibank and chase issued debit and credit cards and no go.

I want to see which bank cards are acceptable.
If none of your cards will load, Grab offers an option to pay cash. When in SE Asia, I pay for Uber by credit card and pay for Grab with cash.
Old Apr 5, 2018, 3:09 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Honors Diamond, Starwood Platinum Preferred
I was able to load my AmEx but neither of my Visa cards.
Old Apr 11, 2018, 7:46 am

so far, it has rejected a Chase Visa and a Citi Mastercard. Next, I'll try an Amex.
Old Apr 11, 2018, 8:28 am

OK, I figured this out. Add the cards online rather than from phone, and you have to allow pop ups.
shocky, 355F1, Beano and 1 others like this.

Last edited by katstarr; Apr 11, 2018 at 8:29 am Reason: adding info
Old Apr 15, 2018, 12:30 am

Programs: AS MVP; UA Gold; DL Gold; Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by katstarr
OK, I figured this out. Add the cards online rather than from phone, and you have to allow pop ups.
Thanks! This was great info. Loaded my CSR with pop up blocker off, and with the VISA verified window allowed to "pop up," CSR loaded!
Ready for our SE Asia holiday this July.

cheers!
katstarr likes this.
Old Apr 15, 2018, 12:36 am

Programs: AS MVP; UA Gold; DL Gold; Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by osotoc
Thanks! This was great info. Loaded my CSR with pop up blocker off, and with the VISA verified window allowed to "pop up," CSR loaded!
Ready for our SE Asia holiday this July.

cheers!
Posted too soon: while cards (added an AMEX too) loaded on the website, on the Grab app, both cards say each card type "is not yet supported here." Hmmm.
We will have to wait and see. Grab is not convenient if I have to worry about having local currency with me.
Old May 17, 2018, 5:00 pm
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Diamond, IC Amb
Originally Posted by osotoc
Posted too soon: while cards (added an AMEX too) loaded on the website, on the Grab app, both cards say each card type "is not yet supported here." Hmmm.
We will have to wait and see. Grab is not convenient if I have to worry about having local currency with me.
I was told that Grab only accepts VISA & MC, no AMEX yet.
Old May 17, 2018, 5:01 pm
IHG Contributor Badge

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by katstarr
THIS!!!!!!!!!!
Old May 17, 2018, 11:41 pm
IHG Contributor Badge

Geez!

Visa card added successfully on laptop.

But using it isn’t an option within the app itself. It’s crossed off.
Old May 18, 2018, 2:12 am

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
Originally Posted by 355F1
Geez!

Visa card added successfully on laptop.

But using it isn’t an option within the app itself. It’s crossed off.
Just wait until you arrive in a country where Grab is available. You will then be able to add - and use for payment - your US based credit card. (I use a US based Chase VISA card here in Asia on my Grab account. Works beautifully.)

The problem nearly everyone has in trying to add their credit cards in advance is trying to do so from a country where Grab isn't available. The app doesn't allow it.
shocky and Beano like this.
Old May 18, 2018, 8:54 am
IHG Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Diplomatico
Just wait until you arrive in a country where Grab is available. You will then be able to add - and use for payment - your US based credit card. (I use a US based Chase VISA card here in Asia on my Grab account. Works beautifully.)

The problem nearly everyone has in trying to add their credit cards in advance is trying to do so from a country where Grab isn't available. The app doesn't allow it.

I moved the pick up pin to Bali to test this. It still didn’t work.

Ill post next week once we arrive in Bali.
Old May 18, 2018, 7:21 pm

Originally Posted by 355F1

I moved the pick up pin to Bali to test this. It still didn’t work.

Ill post next week once we arrive in Bali.
Yes - because you aren't in Bali.
Old May 21, 2018, 10:02 pm

So, were you able to use a US issued credit card in Bali? I added a US based Visa and MC, but get the same "card not available" result.

I am going to several countries in SE Asia. In the past few years used Uber everywhere. Now with Uber gone, Grab being the only option - I really would hate to deal with cash (as I am in some of these places for a relatively short time and really do not plan to get cash). Sure hope one of my US CCs will work. Uber will definitely be missed.
Old May 22, 2018, 5:57 am

Contacted Grab and here is their reply:
Greetings from Grab.

We appreciate you for writing in to us in regards to the GrabPay service.

As we have checked from our end, we are regret to inform you that only locally issued credit, and/or debit cards are accepted at the moment for GrabPay services.
So the answer is "no" and it's a big downgrade in service.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.