Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Question to Uber drivers: short ride

Search this Thread

Old Jan 19, 2018, 6:50 pm
Original Poster

Question to Uber drivers: short ride

I will soon need a ride with 4 family members from PHX airport in Uber XL which is only 3 miles. I know Uber drivers hate short distance rides. What should I do, go ahead and request Uber XL, or maybe don't bother and just take a taxi instead?
Old Jan 19, 2018, 9:15 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
While I'm not a Uber drive, I've occasionally been in the same situation for one reason or another.

My strategy was to call the XL and then give a $5 cash tip.
Old Jan 19, 2018, 10:26 pm

Programs: AA EXP
For what it's worth, the last time I tried to take a relatively short taxi trip from an airport, the driver refused and kicked me out of his cab.
Old Jan 21, 2018, 8:33 am

Programs: AA Aluminum, WN B+
I do a cash tip for short rides. If I get the infamous where-are-you-going text I say something vague ("Home", "The office", "A restaurant", without indicating a location) and let the driver cancel the ride if they don't want it. I don't let the driver know the destination until I'm in the car.
Originally Posted by rjw242
For what it's worth, the last time I tried to take a relatively short taxi trip from an airport, the driver refused and kicked me out of his cab.
I had this at the Sheraton in Nashville a couple years ago. Then the doormen promptly kicked the taxi out of the very long taxi rank (and I was prepared to give $20 for what likely would have been a $5 ride. His loss )

Last edited by Lost; Jan 21, 2018 at 8:53 am
Old Jan 22, 2018, 5:32 pm

Programs: DL-Platinum / AS-PlatPro / Hyatt - Glob / Hilton-Diamond
As a PHX driver, I believe you're thinking about this too hard
There's a reason the driver's app doesn't let us know the destination until after pick-up. The short rides usually are not cost effective so we don't like them ... but they're part of the job. You win some and you lose some.
And I'd assume taxi drivers hate them as much as rideshare drivers do, for the very same reasons.
If any driver complains about waiting in the airport queue for a long time then ending up with a short ride, my suggestion would be not to wait in the queue ... get out of the airport and look for rides elsewhere.
If you feel bad, then a tip as Lost suggested help make it worthwhile to the driver.

For what it's worth ...
All of my runs TO the airport have been decent rides.
I've never joined the queue for a ride FROM the airport because I've always been "rematched" within seconds of dropping off my inbound passenger.
I don't think I've ever had a ride FROM the airport that was over 5 miles. It seems I'm always taking the passenger to someplace relatively close where they have parked their car for free.
Old Jan 22, 2018, 6:10 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
I do the same thing I've always done with taxis, I give a tip which makes up for what amounts to lost time in the queue. I think that's fair. But, I don't play games with drivers either. Last thing I want is a crazy guy who doesn't want me as a customer. Let the driver be forced back into the queue.
Old Jan 23, 2018, 7:19 am

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC, National Exec
This is something that (shock, horror), the NYC airports do well with taxis. If you're taking a short ride, the driver asks the dispatcher for a short ride "ticket," and then gets to jump the queue if he comes back to the airport.
Old Jan 23, 2018, 8:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
My definition of a short ride is less than one mile.
Old Jan 23, 2018, 2:13 pm

Hi echino, I spent a few months in Phoenix as well and I used Uber (sometimes XL when with friends) everytime, for short distances too. Never had problems.
Old Feb 7, 2018, 12:50 am

Programs: AA Exp, but not sure for how long. Enterprise Platinum woo-hoo!
As a driver, you just take it as it comes. Sure, everybody wants a 30-mile trip on the highway to a hot pickup spot.

In PHL, where I used to drive, if you got a short trip, you were cycled back into the airport queue. By "Short" I mean like to one of the airport hotels that might be only 2-3 miles. I remember dropping someone off at the Embassy Suites once and getting another outbound ride from the airport almost immediately.

If you feel the driver isn't being compensated fairly, tip him. Same if you're bar-hopping.

As a driver, my only real question is "How long will it be after I do the dropoff until I get another ride?" I'd be happy to do 2-mile rides downtown all day long, knowing that I'll get another request almost as soon as, sometimes before, I make my dropoff.
Old Feb 8, 2018, 9:14 pm

Programs: DL-Platinum / AS-PlatPro / Hyatt - Glob / Hilton-Diamond
Originally Posted by Points Scrounger
My definition of a short ride is less than one mile.
At a lot of major airports, one mile doesn't even get you off the airport property

For what it's worth, Uber does have "minimum" fares.
In PHX, as a driver I will earn a minimum of $2.62 for each trip, even if it's just to take you across the street.
Old Feb 8, 2018, 9:19 pm

Originally Posted by cestmoi123
This is something that (shock, horror), the NYC airports do well with taxis. If you're taking a short ride, the driver asks the dispatcher for a short ride "ticket," and then gets to jump the queue if he comes back to the airport.
I'm quite sure Uber and Lyft have the same scheme - drivers wait in a virtual queue to pick up at the airport, and a driver on a short ride can jump the queue upon return.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.