Disturbing Incident with a Lyft Driver and our Carseat

Old Dec 29, 17, 2:12 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Skymiles Platinum / Alaska MVP Gold 75K
Disturbing Incident with a Lyft Driver and our Carseat

Just had a disturbing incident with a Lyft Driver in NYC just now. My wife, 2 week old baby, and I just got kicked out of a Lyft as we were trying to get home from the pediatrician after I insisted on properly attaching our car seat to the driver's objections. Driver kicked a newborn baby into the freezing cold cuz I needed 30 seconds to attach the seatbelt to the car seat properly and safely. "It's only 10 minutes," the driver said. To which I gently replied "It's my kid's life and it's the law." Then he said "this ride is over" and kicked us to the curb. Maybe I've been lucky but in many years of taking Lyft and Uber, I've never had an incident as messed up, and a driver so crazy as this. Could be the lack of sleep and the protectiveness of my newborn taking over but I've been really rattled by this. I've reported it to Lyft and to the NYC Taxi Commission but I wanted to post here too because FT has been such a valuable resource to our family.
Old Dec 29, 17, 2:42 pm

Programs: BAEC, Priority Club, Fairmont Presidents Club
I would have reported him too. It is the law and what parents would leave a baby in a carrier loose in a moving vehicle. Congrats on the new baby!

Of course had the drive been patient I would have tipped him very nicely.
trooper and Loren Pechtel like this.
Old Dec 29, 17, 2:52 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Bogwoppit View Post
I would have reported him too. It is the law and what parents would leave a baby in a carrier loose in a moving vehicle. Congrats on the new baby!

Of course had the drive been patient I would have tipped him very nicely.
thanks so much. appreciate that. yeah we tipped the driver who took us to the hospital about the same as the actual fare because he was so great and cautious and communicative. this guy... i just don't know what to think
Old Dec 30, 17, 6:49 am

Programs: AA EXP
Definitely not too late to report this guy to lyft. I've taken both lyft and uber all over NYC and Chicago with my kids and luckily have never had a bad experience.
Old Dec 30, 17, 1:45 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by businessclass View Post
Definitely not too late to report this guy to lyft. I've taken both lyft and uber all over NYC and Chicago with my kids and luckily have never had a bad experience.
thanks. have reported him. that's great you've never had issues. whole experience has just stressed us out about taking Uber/Lyft again with her but I know this is just one bad apple so hopefully Lyft responds to our report and we get some piece of mind.
Old Dec 30, 17, 1:52 pm

Programs: Delta FO (I use to be More)
Just an FYI NY State law exempts taxis in the state from child seat requirements, however, NYC TLC says an NYC taxi/livery must allow you to install your car seat if you have one.

You might want to file a complaint with the TLC as well.
Old Dec 31, 17, 11:05 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by HWGeeks View Post
Just an FYI NY State law exempts taxis in the state from child seat requirements, however, NYC TLC says an NYC taxi/livery must allow you to install your car seat if you have one.

Thanks. Yeah I filed with TLC too. We'll see what they say.
Old Dec 31, 17, 3:26 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HHD, SPG LTG
As a driver, I totally agree with your actions. File a complaint to Lyft and to any other statutory bodies relevant. It takes time and effort to file complaints but if it means one less pathetic driver, then it is better for all of us (both riders and drivers).
Yoshi212 likes this.
Old Jan 1, 18, 10:15 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by alanslegal View Post
As a driver, I totally agree with your actions. File a complaint to Lyft and to any other statutory bodies relevant. It takes time and effort to file complaints but if it means one less pathetic driver, then it is better for all of us (both riders and drivers).
thanks for that. i have never had a bad experience with a Lyft driver before. some iffy things with Uber and Gett but nothing as toxic and terrible as this.
Old Jan 1, 18, 10:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: 1K (until 2021), *G for "life", Global Entry, Hertz PC, Cadbury's Rum and Raisin Emeritus
Don't dwell on it, you have done all the right things, don't let him spoil the rest of the day.
Old Jan 2, 18, 7:52 am

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC, National Exec
You did all the right things:

1. Tried to use your carseat.
2. Reported the driver to Lyft and the TLC when he wouldn't let you.

Congrats on the baby!
imaginaryhomeland likes this.
Old Jan 2, 18, 8:06 am

Programs: CX, DL, BA Avios, AMEX Plat
Originally Posted by cestmoi123 View Post
You did all the right things:

1. Tried to use your carseat.
2. Reported the driver to Lyft and the TLC when he wouldn't let you.

Congrats on the baby!
Exactly this

My son is 2.5 now and he's been in an uber/lyft/all others since the day he came home from the hospital, 99% of those rides with a car seat. Never had an issue, and most drivers even say "let me know once he's buckled up". Sounds like a true bad apple, glad you reported him to both Lyft and the TLC.
Old Jan 2, 18, 8:25 am

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC, National Exec
One hint going forward - I never close the car door until our kid is fully buckled in.
Old Jan 2, 18, 8:33 am

Programs: CX, DL, BA Avios, AMEX Plat
Originally Posted by cestmoi123 View Post
One hint going forward - I never close the car door until our kid is fully buckled in.
Good tip.. we often do that too, but it's been <20 in NYC most of the week...
Old Jan 3, 18, 1:10 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT
Originally Posted by HWGeeks View Post

TLC site seems contradictory; driver "must allow" but at the same time acknowledges there are no TLC rules concerning this.

What are the rules regarding child safety seats and seatbelts in taxicabs?

Drivers of yellow medallion taxicabs and for-hire vehicles and their passengers, are exempt from laws regarding car seats and seatbelts. Keep in mind, the TLC encourages everyone in the vehicle to buckle their seatbelts while riding in a cab. There are no Taxi and Limousine Commission rules regarding this, as it is a State exemption. Passengers with children are encouraged to bring their own car seats, which the drivers must allow passengers to install.
Nonetheless, OP should complaint to Lyft and TLC.

Last edited by seawolf; Jan 3, 18 at 9:17 pm Reason: Typo - Originally wrote Uber instead of Lyft

Search this Thread