Ride Pass rides more expensive than before?

Old Oct 1, 2017, 6:03 am
Original Poster

Ride Pass rides more expensive than before?

DC resident here. I first purchased a Ride Pass back in early 2017, and it was fantastic. Anywhere within the Ride Pass radius was $4.49 for UberX. I could travel from NoVa to suburban Maryland for $4.49.

I purchased a Ride Pass last month, and the same trip from NoVa to suburban Maryland now costs $25 with UberX and $20 with UberPool. I confirmed with Uber that the RidePass is working properly.

What's going on? Did Uber raise prices so much that the Ride Pass no longer defrays as much as it used to?
Old Oct 1, 2017, 7:27 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Uber has charged in that range for several years now. I believe that it at one point had offered the feature at $10 + fixed fee.

Yes, Uber has raised that price as well as other prices. If you look at the massive media reporting, you can see that Uber was subsidizing you to the tune of 40% and that was not sustainable. The business goal was to use the discounts to create market share and then charge market rates.

Uber has cut its losses a great deal and doing that means customers paying the full freight or close to.

At the same time, Uber has two groups of customers. Riders and drivers. Keeping the drivers happy is just as important because without them, you can't be kept happy. You may have seen that Uber recently increased the driver payment on Pool rides by $1 in order to get drivers to accept more of those calls as the Pool market increases. That $1 has to come from somewhere and one place is the passenger.

$4.49 + a share of the Pass of about $1 means $5.49 for a ride from Arlington to Bethesda. That isn't sustainable.

If you figure the approximate taxi fare and knock about 25-30% off, you will likely land somewhere are where Uber (& Lyft) ought to be.
Old Oct 1, 2017, 6:55 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold, Delta Platinum Medallion, AAdvantage Platinum Pro
Originally Posted by Often1
You may have seen that Uber recently increased the driver payment on Pool rides by $1 in order to get drivers to accept more of those calls as the Pool market increases. That $1 has to come from somewhere and one place is the passenger.
Uber is paying each driver an extra 70 cents per POOL pickup, minus Uber's cut. So it winds up being about 53 extra cents.

As usual, Uber PR and reality are pretty far apart.
Old Oct 2, 2017, 6:23 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Often1
Uber has charged in that range for several years now. I believe that it at one point had offered the feature at $10 + fixed fee.

Yes, Uber has raised that price as well as other prices. If you look at the massive media reporting, you can see that Uber was subsidizing you to the tune of 40% and that was not sustainable. The business goal was to use the discounts to create market share and then charge market rates.

Uber has cut its losses a great deal and doing that means customers paying the full freight or close to.

At the same time, Uber has two groups of customers. Riders and drivers. Keeping the drivers happy is just as important because without them, you can't be kept happy. You may have seen that Uber recently increased the driver payment on Pool rides by $1 in order to get drivers to accept more of those calls as the Pool market increases. That $1 has to come from somewhere and one place is the passenger.

$4.49 + a share of the Pass of about $1 means $5.49 for a ride from Arlington to Bethesda. That isn't sustainable.

If you figure the approximate taxi fare and knock about 25-30% off, you will likely land somewhere are where Uber (& Lyft) ought to be.
Thanks for the explanation Often1. The promotional pricing sure was nice while it lasted!
Old Nov 30, 2017, 11:51 am

Received Uber pass offer for Philadelphia: $4.99 uberPOOL and $7.99 uberX rides. Last month it was 2.99 and 5.99...
Old Nov 30, 2017, 2:10 pm

Originally Posted by mistergaga
Received Uber pass offer for Philadelphia: $4.99 uberPOOL and $7.99 uberX rides. Last month it was 2.99 and 5.99...

I am in Philadelphia as well, this month got 6.99 uberPOOL and 9.99 uberX. Last month was also 2.99 and 5.99. Flat fee went down to $5 from $20 though. Any other data points this month on price changes?
Old Dec 1, 2017, 7:33 am

Likewise, my Uber Pool rides are now $7 and $10 for UberX That’s a huge price increase!
Old Dec 1, 2017, 8:18 am

I decided to not renew at the $7 and $10 prices since most of my trips aren't really over that amount. I wonder if they will re-offer next month at a lower price. Anyone have any thoughts/experience?
Old Dec 1, 2017, 11:59 am

Originally Posted by alips
I decided to not renew at the $7 and $10 prices since most of my trips aren't really over that amount. I wonder if they will re-offer next month at a lower price. Anyone have any thoughts/experience?
I renewed because the price of the pass was 5 bucks. I think of it as surge price protection. Often times the price will surge in bad weather or busy times. It only takes avoiding one surge to pay off the pass. They say that you will get charged the lower price of the ride is cheaper than the pass price.
Old Dec 7, 2017, 10:09 am

I got one because of the 10% rebate in Uber rides. I have an airport ride coming up and I will save roughly 5 bucks with just that. I am yet to see if they charge lower if the ride is cheaper than the pass price. I get rides for ~4 bucks at times. Will see if I still do.
Old Dec 13, 2017, 8:53 am

I believe all of these ride pass offers are just experiments. My hunch is that they have various marketing teams in various cities who are given a marketing budget for these things, and the teams play around with different ride pass configurations to see how much people will pay up front for how big a promised discount, and what actually gets people riding more.
Old Jun 5, 2018, 9:35 am

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC, National Exec
I just got an offer for an UberPool Ride Pass, unlimited rides for $5.99 each for a month. Given that my UberPool rides are very rarely above $4.00 (above that, and I'll take the Subway or Via), I declined.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.