Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Scary uber/cab driver? What do you do?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 22, 2017, 8:40 pm

Programs: Krisflyer PPS, SPG, Hyatt GoldPassport, Shangri-la Golden Circle, British Airways ExecClub
Rather than creepy/scary drivers, I am far more likely to encounter drivers who tried to rip off on fares, don't listen properly and went to the wrong place, dirty cabin that stinks ( smell of sweat, perfume ), or non functioning air condition. Usually within any destinations reachable within 20 mins by walking, I prefer to walk or I tried to figure out the subway.

The best taxi-experience ( if there is such a thing ) so far I found is in Tokyo.They are always clean and drivers are honest and professional. Next is Taiwan ( but they tends to be excessively chatty ), then London and Singapore.
Old Jul 22, 2017, 9:04 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Originally Posted by juan23
Use traditional taxi...
Welcome to Flyertalk, juan23
Obscure2k
TravelBuzz Moderator
Old Jul 23, 2017, 1:29 am

"The best taxi-experience ( if there is such a thing ) so far I found is in Tokyo."

Yes, they are professionals there. I lived in Japan about two years and never had
a taxi problem, then flew out to Durham NC to work at a new job. My first night there,
I sat by the phone in my hotel calling nearly every taxi service in the Yellow Pages. Culture shock.
No answer; wrong number; we're busy; you already called us at our other number;nobody available now;we don't operate after 7 PM--I got nowhere after 2 hours and eventually walked to see my buddy in downtown Durham. There are some things I like about America but transportation is not one of them.
Old Jul 23, 2017, 2:11 am
Moderator: Mileage Run, InterContinental Hotels
Original Poster

For all those who believe that uber's user feedback system provides safety, here are my driver's stats: rating of 4.7, has 14 excellent service, 6 all star driver, and 3 great conversation badges. Written reviews are all positive. Doesn't look to me like any indication of trouble. And yet, I found myself in a car driven by a very disturbed individual.
Old Jul 23, 2017, 6:09 am

Originally Posted by jpdx
For all those who believe that uber's user feedback system provides safety, here are my driver's stats: rating of 4.7, has 14 excellent service, 6 all star driver, and 3 great conversation badges. Written reviews are all positive. Doesn't look to me like any indication of trouble. And yet, I found myself in a car driven by a very disturbed individual.
you need to report him to uber and to the authorities
Old Jul 23, 2017, 12:13 pm

Originally Posted by jpdx
Most Uber users will give 5 stars *every ride* even if the driver messes up in some way (because the understanding is that this makes the driver rate you 5 stars too). That means anything other 5 stars has basically morphed into "would not use again/has significant issues".

As a result, the rating system is incredibly skewed. Most good drivers I've come across are 4.9 but never lower than 4.8. If I see 4.7 I'm like "damn it" because it means either the driver is unreliable/sketchy and/or the car isn't in good shape. But from memory I have never cancelled the ride.

It seems like I am a lot more likely to draw a lower rated driver when hailing a ride from an area that's not frequented by many drivers or a time that not many drivers are active. In other words, who knows when I will get another driver if I cancel this one, so yeah you just go along with it in spite of knowing it probably won't be a great experience.
Old Jul 23, 2017, 12:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
I'm a 4.7 rating too and I've always given nothing but 5 stars. It's probably the one driver who is miffed I didn't tip him that skewed my ratings. I don't know why they have the scale from 1-5. I've never seen or heard anything below 4.5.

Is there a user rating for lyft? I looked on my app but couldn't find a thing.
Old Jul 23, 2017, 2:19 pm

Lyft has a user rating but unlike Uber you can't check it yourself. I think you can request it from their customer support though.
Old Jul 23, 2017, 4:12 pm
formerly known as Tad's Broiled Steaks
Shangri-La Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by BENLEE

Next is Taiwan ( but they tends to be excessively chatty )
A joke? Taiwanese taxis often come equipped with a tv next to the driver's seat. Safety does not seem to be a priority.

As for more unsafe driving, try the seat belt-less (at least in the backseats) taxis in China (and other countries). I remember a Shanghai taxi driver admonishing me for trying to wear one; to him, that meant I doubted his confidence on the road.

Also, another uber in Jeddah anecdote. The driver last night was high, and took an even more fatalistic approach to steering than the average Jeddawi.
Old Jul 23, 2017, 5:55 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

We were picked up in a taxi in TelAviv in April at 0400. Driver was speeding and claimed not to know the location of the Sheraton, so drove a circuitous route. He finally slowed down when I started making sounds as if I were about to vomit. @:-)
Old Jul 23, 2017, 7:50 pm

Programs: Nothing anymore after 20 years
People who complained about taxi in US/Taiwan have not tried their luck at Istanbul, Cairo and Kuala Lumpur - after that your neighborhood Uber driver will sound like god send.

I use Uber/Grab where it is available for two reasons - first is economics. Two examples: about 12 years ago I arrived at SFO at 11PM and had to take taxi to Sunnyvale. The taxi ride was $125 without tip. My flight ticket across half US was less than that. Fortunately, I did not have to pay for the ride, it was business trip. 12 years later, my wife took the same route with Uber and it was $45.
Second example - in 2014 had my first business trip at Porto Allege, Brazil and had to take taxi daily to Sao Leopoldo. One way taxi was 170R which that time was >US$70. After that trip I had problems with approving my ER because taxi rides were double of my hotel stay - audit thought that something was fishy going on here. In 2016, 1.5 years later when Uber has arrived, the same ride now was 50R.

Second reason for using Uber/Grab is for above mentioned feedback model. With 'traditional taxis' there is no such feedback and you have no option to get rid of bad driver. Even if you go great length trying to report a guy who cheated you, smoked at car, texted while driving, fall asleep while driving - ALL of these I had experienced while taking 'traditional' taxis - your reporting goes into trash bin. And this is the reason why I would not use 'traditional' taxi if alternatives are available.

Last edited by invisible; Jul 23, 2017 at 8:10 pm
Old Jul 24, 2017, 1:19 am

Originally Posted by invisible
The taxi ride was $125 without tip.
I surely hope you didn't tip.
Old Jul 24, 2017, 2:30 am

Programs: AA plat, BA, B6, DL, UA gold, SPG/Marriott gold
Uber's ratings system is garbage and they know it. Last year in Porto Alegre (Brazil) on a day several people were shot in the airport terminal my buddy insisted I take an Uber to the bus station from the bar where he dropped me off. It was only 1km but he said it was for my safety. Twice the driver went in the wrong direction so as to make more money -- this despite his GPS speaking the directions out loud and my Google maps showing his diversion as well. Eventually I yelled at him and he got me there. I complained to Uber he was unsafe and should be fired. Their reply was to refund me. I rated the guy a "1" and in retaliation he rated me a "1" as well which wrecked my 5.0 rating. I complained to Uber, they did nothing. So I deleted my account. Uber doesn't like to deal with thorny issues like cheats and unsafe drivers. So I haven't used them since.
Old Jul 24, 2017, 2:35 am

Originally Posted by stevenmb
Uber's ratings system is garbage and they know it. Last year in Porto Alegre (Brazil) on a day several people were shot in the airport terminal my buddy insisted I take an Uber to the bus station from the bar where he dropped me off. It was only 1km but he said it was for my safety. Twice the driver went in the wrong direction so as to make more money -- this despite his GPS speaking the directions out loud and my Google maps showing his diversion as well. Eventually I yelled at him and he got me there. I complained to Uber he was unsafe and should be fired. Their reply was to refund me. I rated the guy a "1" and in retaliation he rated me a "1" as well which wrecked my 5.0 rating. I complained to Uber, they did nothing. So I deleted my account. Uber doesn't like to deal with thorny issues like cheats and unsafe drivers. So I haven't used them since.
Well, in Porto Alegre Uber would have no drivers if they applied such a filter.
Old Jul 24, 2017, 4:47 am

Programs: Nothing anymore after 20 years
Originally Posted by mmff
I surely hope you didn't tip.
I did. I was TOLD by the driver how much. And I did not want to argue when I was not paying from my pocket.

Originally Posted by stevenmb
So I deleted my account. Uber doesn't like to deal with thorny issues like cheats and unsafe drivers. So I haven't used them since.
As a result, now you are without Uber and that guy continues to be driving people around. Who lost?

Last edited by invisible; Jul 24, 2017 at 8:10 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.