Uber upfront price changing

Old Jul 11, 17, 9:13 am
Original Poster

Uber upfront price changing

We are having some weird problems with Uber. This is in Boston. Has this happened to anyone?

Driver picks us up at Point A, drives us to Point B. Upfront cost is $8.
Point B is 105 Main Street. The driver stops a few feet early because of a garbage truck let's say, and lets us out. We technically exit at 104 Main Street.

The app recalculates, deciding that the passenger changed the destination. We are charged $14 because of surge.

This has happened to us three times now. Each time the driver stopped at what we all thought would be the destination (office building movie theater in our cases), but according to the App it was technically a number off. So the app changes the fare.

Each time we've written to customer service they insist we as the passenger changed the destination. It's taken quite a few back and forth each time for them to understand that we didn't.

This has never happened before a few days ago. We keep wondering if they changed something in the coding, because we've never had any problem being let out even down the street before in case of construction etc.
Old Jul 11, 17, 1:52 pm

Programs: AA, DL, Avis, Enterprise, National, IHG, HH, SPG/MR
Originally Posted by waygora View Post
We are having some weird problems with Uber. This is in Boston. Has this happened to anyone?

Point B is 105 Main Street. The driver stops a few feet early because of a garbage truck let's say, and lets us out. We technically exit at 104 Main Street.

The app recalculates, deciding that the passenger changed the destination. We are charged $14 because of surge.

This has happened to us three times now. Each time the driver stopped at what we all thought would be the destination (office building movie theater in our cases), but according to the App it was technically a number off. So the app changes the fare.

Each time we've written to customer service they insist we as the passenger changed the destination. It's taken quite a few back and forth each time for them to understand that we didn't.

This has never happened before a few days ago. We keep wondering if they changed something in the coding, because we've never had any problem being let out even down the street before in case of construction etc.
I've gotten out a little before my destination plenty of times, but I'm not sure if it recalculates the fare or not since there hasn't been an obvious fare change... So I've never run into that problem, but I guess that's not a conclusive statement either.
Old Jul 16, 17, 8:58 pm

Programs: DL Silver, Avis President's Club, Hertz President's Circle, Global Entry (Former AA Plt/Gold)
I had no idea this was possible, thanks for the heads up.
Old Sep 14, 17, 1:37 am

Programs: Uber, Lyft, Skymiles, Thanksagain, Hertz Gold Presidents Club
Originally Posted by waygora View Post

Wondering if you had an update? You are the only case I have heard of but Uber often beta tests (without permission) different prices and policies on both drivers and pax to figures out how to maximize their profits.

Uber forced at midnight on a certain day every driver to sign a contract that says what the passenger pays has nothing to do with what the driver gets paid.

Short version this is definitely not a driver scam as it would benefit the driver to take you a further and not a shorter distance.

Uber farms out their low priority complaints (read non accident non assault or robbery) to places like Manila, Philippines.

Not only do the not have things like upfront pricing (or access to all of your trip data) but they might miss the nuances of American English.

Even if Uber recalculated your trip (which is their right and is usually cheaper for you) they can not add surge after the fact not matter where you are. In fact after a law suite Uber is required to ask if you accept the surge if it is significant.

Take screenshots of the receipts/trip reviews and contact Uber via social media and wait for someone to get with you one on one. If no one gets with you privately then re-post using your screenshots.

Help will be on the way...
Old Sep 30, 17, 12:18 am

Programs: DL GM, UA, B6, AA, WN, AS, AGR
Looks like Uber clearly doesn't care. This happened to me. I complained and all they did was send me canned responses saying that my drop off location was different (It was not) or that the amount was "within the estimate." Whatever the heck that means. If I see a quoted up-front price, that is the price I agreed to pay.

I took your advice and posted the screenshots on social media (Twitter, because they can't delete them) and they clearly don't care. They didn't bother to respond.

Don't worry, I tipped the driver. It wasn't his fault.
Old Oct 1, 17, 9:14 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by john2g1 View Post
Wondering if you had an update? You are the only case I have heard of but Uber often beta tests (without permission) different prices and policies on both drivers and pax to figures out how to maximize their profits.

Uber forced at midnight on a certain day every driver to sign a contract that says what the passenger pays has nothing to do with what the driver gets paid.

Short version this is definitely not a driver scam as it would benefit the driver to take you a further and not a shorter distance.

Uber farms out their low priority complaints (read non accident non assault or robbery) to places like Manila, Philippines.

Not only do the not have things like upfront pricing (or access to all of your trip data) but they might miss the nuances of American English.

Even if Uber recalculated your trip (which is their right and is usually cheaper for you) they can not add surge after the fact not matter where you are. In fact after a law suite Uber is required to ask if you accept the surge if it is significant.

Take screenshots of the receipts/trip reviews and contact Uber via social media and wait for someone to get with you one on one. If no one gets with you privately then re-post using your screenshots.

Help will be on the way...
Hey sorry for delay. We got refunds on all the problem rides. It hasn't happened again since. They must have been testing something.
Old Oct 1, 17, 9:15 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by diburning View Post
Looks like Uber clearly doesn't care. This happened to me. I complained and all they did was send me canned responses saying that my drop off location was different (It was not) or that the amount was "within the estimate." Whatever the heck that means. If I see a quoted up-front price, that is the price I agreed to pay.

I took your advice and posted the screenshots on social media (Twitter, because they can't delete them) and they clearly don't care. They didn't bother to respond.

Don't worry, I tipped the driver. It wasn't his fault.
I kept following up and following up through the app and they eventually refunded me.
Old Nov 24, 17, 6:46 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond/*G, UA Gold MM, IHG Spire Amb, Hilton Gold
Upfront pricing is a total scam. If the distance and time calculation adds up to less than the upfront fare, even if you get off at a completely different destination the price stays the same. But if the time and distance is higher, then even if you get off at the same location, it will change the fare. Currently fighting a case with Uber where I entered Hampton Hotel into the app and then after the ride, due to heavy traffic, it calculated based on time and distance and my destination on the receipt was just the address of the Hampton Hotel. Customer Service says I changed the destination. I tried to explain to them that the new "destination" is just the address of the old destination but they just keep sending me the form letter that fares may be recalculated if rider changes destination.
Old Nov 25, 17, 2:33 am

Programs: DL GM, UA, B6, AA, WN, AS, AGR
That's how they scam you. They'll lie and say that you changed the destination to charge you more when that is not the case. This is why I use Lyft. They don't seem to be pulling the same underhanded tactics.

Search this Thread