Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Sudden drop in Uber rating

Search this Thread

Old Feb 3, 2018, 7:53 pm

Programs: AA, DL, Avis, Enterprise, National, IHG, HH, SPG/MR
Originally Posted by Points Scrounger
Not long ago on an Uberpool ride, the driver remarked with some surprise, "Wow, you guys both have perfect 5.0 ratings!" I always rate drivers; it's possible I gave a 4 once, but otherwise all fives, including the older woman whose trip felt like a scene from Mr. Magoo! In that case, I received an unsolicited apology from Uber as the arrival time significantly exceeded their estimate.
So basically you are preventing drivers who have no business driving from being booted...
Old Feb 3, 2018, 11:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
I see your logic, but she had mentioned that she had experienced a few dissatisfied clients early on. I figured her rating was low enough that she was going to be removed soon anyway.
Old Feb 4, 2018, 1:57 am

Originally Posted by Points Scrounger
I see your logic, but she had mentioned that she had experienced a few dissatisfied clients early on. I figured her rating was low enough that she was going to be removed soon anyway.
Clearly she hadn't if she still picked you up. What is the point of a rating system if people are going to give five stars regardless of how poor the driver really is?
Old Feb 6, 2018, 6:53 am

Programs: Delta Platinum, American Gold, JetBlue Mosaic 4, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond,
Just a reminder that Uber ratings are market influenced. In New York, Uber drivers are aggressive in pursuing cash tips, so perfectly nice riders end up in the 4.6 to 4.7 range. When I travel for business elsewhere, my Uber rating goes up by a few points instantly. For example, my rating went from 4.65 starts to 4.68 (where it is now) after a few days in LA.
Old Feb 6, 2018, 5:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
I consider myself a model rider, always on time, never create an issue, quiet, clean, pleasant, good conversation if appropriate, always tip in the app (and tell the drive I will), etc., but I have recently experienced a couple of sudden drops from 4.86 to 4.82, which I can only explain as a rating of 1 or 2. I always rate drivers extremely leniently, it would take a lot to give a 4, I have only given a couple of 4s and a 3 in my whole life.

But at this point, I have had it. From this point on I am waiting to check my average rating, and if drops, they are get a rating of 1 or 2. I only ride 3-4 times a week, so that would be easy to tell. I guess this is also highly recommended, as it seals you from getting this driver again. And I believe drivers can no longer go back and change their rating.

I am also switching to cash tips, to pre-empt a bad rating from the uber weird drivers (just read an uber driver forum to see how some of them rate riders).
Old Feb 6, 2018, 6:28 pm

Originally Posted by nk15
I am also switching to cash tips, to pre-empt a bad rating from the uber weird drivers
So you're going to let these criminals win.
Old Feb 6, 2018, 6:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by kb9522

So you're going to let these criminals win.
Maybe you're right, no cash tips and wait for the bad rating to reciprocate and get them off the streets...or at least from my uber match list ... Maybe I will join the fight...
Old Feb 6, 2018, 7:00 pm

Maybe you're right, no cash tips and wait for the bad rating to reciprocate and get them off the streets...or at least from my uber match list ... Maybe I will join the fight...
Fight the good fight!
Old Feb 6, 2018, 7:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

This is my new rating policy, if my average rating moves down by .01, uber driver gets a rating of 1. Although uber now says you cant see updated rating until you rate the driver...sigh...I may have to go with honest ratings...Any disgruntled signs from driver, other than smile and good response gets dinged...

Last edited by nk15; Feb 6, 2018 at 8:26 pm
Old Feb 7, 2018, 12:36 am

This is my new rating policy, if my average rating moves down by .01, uber driver gets a rating of 1. Although uber now says you cant see updated rating until you rate the driver...sigh...I may have to go with honest ratings...Any disgruntled signs from driver, other than smile and good response gets dinged...
Is that true the other way around too? The driver can't see their updated rating until they rate the rider?
Old Feb 7, 2018, 1:06 am

Uber must not using a straightforward arithmetic mean - my rating has not changed at all in the last year.

So if it does ever change I won't be able to attribute the movement to any driver.
Old Feb 7, 2018, 12:17 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA ExPlat, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Spire, Hilton Gold
Uber doesn’t update the ratings immediately anymore, so it’s a crapshoot trying to figure out which driver gave which rating. It seems like a lot of drivers also wait to rate passengers to see if they tipped.
Old Feb 7, 2018, 5:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yea, it's a losing battle to figure this out or fully control it, other than maybe prevent it a bit. I hope at least when an uber driver rates a rider low, they also never match them again, this will seal us from a lot of weirdos. Anywho, if I get another low rating I am writing uber to get to the bottom of it, if I bother enough, that is...
Old Feb 7, 2018, 7:03 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA ExPlat, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Spire, Hilton Gold
Uber couldn’t care less. A couple months ago, a driver overcharged me by about 200%. When I noticed a week or two later and requested a refund, my Uber rating suddenly dropped by one or two tenths of a point. Since I had taken zero Uber rides in the intervening time period, it was obvious the driver went back in and gave me 1 star for reporting the overcharge. I contacted Uber, and they told me that’s how their rating system is supposed to work. Crazy.
Old Feb 7, 2018, 7:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by joe_miami
Crazy.
To say the least. Did you ask them to remove it and they said no? I would boycott and use Lyft, which I would normally use anyway as they are cheaper, except I got a "pass" deal...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.