Sudden drop in Uber rating

Old Jun 17, 2017, 1:00 pm

Programs: Southwest Rapid Rewards; AAdvantage; Alaska Mileage Plan; Wyndham Rewards; Choice Hotels
I'm at 4.78 or 4.79. I suppose everyone starts at 5.

Last edited by Loose Cannon; Jun 17, 2017 at 1:14 pm
Old Oct 26, 2017, 7:09 pm

Programs: Uber
Originally Posted by Gig103
I haven't seen anyone in this thread discussing bad passengers. The report is that ratings are lower based on tipping. So, as a driver, do you do rate based on tip?
I don't ever rate my passengers based on tip. When I first started driving for Uber back in July, I was told that if a passenger offers a tip, let them know tipping is not necessary. I know passengers are told tipping is not required and feel they should not be rated lower because they didn't do something that Uber told them they didn't have to do.
I picked up I rider today with a 4.41 star rating and she had her Boyfriend/Husband with her. I know it's her Boyfriend that causes the drivers to give her lower ratings because I he started asking me questions (which I have no problem with), but then got mad when I didn't say what he wanting to hear. He also started to cuss me out and swear at me. The actual rider on the account even tried to tell him to stop, but he still wouldn't. I ended up rating them 1 star and reported the account to Uber as well. I've picked up a passenger with a 4.01 star rating a couple months ago and did not have any problems with her, she even tipped me as well.
Old Oct 26, 2017, 10:41 pm

Programs: AA, DL, Avis, Enterprise, National, IHG, HH, SPG/MR
Originally Posted by Steve Ray
I don't ever rate my passengers based on tip. When I first started driving for Uber back in July, I was told that if a passenger offers a tip, let them know tipping is not necessary. I know passengers are told tipping is not required and feel they should not be rated lower because they didn't do something that Uber told them they didn't have to do.
I picked up I rider today with a 4.41 star rating and she had her Boyfriend/Husband with her. I know it's her Boyfriend that causes the drivers to give her lower ratings because I he started asking me questions (which I have no problem with), but then got mad when I didn't say what he wanting to hear. He also started to cuss me out and swear at me. The actual rider on the account even tried to tell him to stop, but he still wouldn't. I ended up rating them 1 star and reported the account to Uber as well. I've picked up a passenger with a 4.01 star rating a couple months ago and did not have any problems with her, she even tipped me as well.
Yeah. That can't be the whole story.
Old Nov 4, 2017, 11:30 am
Suspended

Programs: AA ExPlat, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Spire, Hilton Gold
No tipping or reporting an overcharge are sure ways to have one's Uber rating decreased. I was a perfect 5 for my first year as an Uber user, but I started getting 4s after Uber added the tipping option (which I almost never use), and, incredibly, Uber allows drivers to go back and change ratings up to a week later, which can be used as retaliation if, e.g., an overcharge is reported.
Old Nov 5, 2017, 2:42 am
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium/LTG, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by joe_miami
No tipping or reporting an overcharge are sure ways to have one's Uber rating decreased. I was a perfect 5 for my first year as an Uber user, but I started getting 4s after Uber added the tipping option (which I almost never use), and, incredibly, Uber allows drivers to go back and change ratings up to a week later, which can be used as retaliation if, e.g., an overcharge is reported.
Maybe you should catch cabs from now on? The fare is displayed and you pay for the amount when you arrive at your destination .... much simpler.
Old Nov 5, 2017, 9:59 am
Suspended

Programs: AA ExPlat, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Spire, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by alanslegal
Maybe you should catch cabs from now on? The fare is displayed and you pay for the amount when you arrive at your destination .... much simpler.
Really? I thought Uber was supposed to be a "solution" to taxis? Things change quickly, I guess.
Old Nov 5, 2017, 6:37 pm

Or maybe Uber should do something about the rampant bribery and extortion among their drivers.

Blaming the victim is a pretty shady thing to do.
Old Nov 5, 2017, 7:28 pm

Originally Posted by kb9522
Or maybe Uber should do something about the rampant bribery and extortion among their drivers.

Anyway, if you don't like something about Uber - such as your alleged "rampant bribery and extortion among their drivers", either let Uber know about it with some experience/evidence and if they don't satisfactorily resolve your concern/issue/suggestion - then don't use Uber. Nobody is forcing you to use a service you do not like.

Besides, correct me if I am wrong here, but the OP complained in several threads so I got fed up and kept my response short and concise - wrongly or rightly.
Old Nov 5, 2017, 8:00 pm

This is a joke, right?

How hard you work has nothing to do with how much you get paid. You're not entitled to a living wage. You are paid what the market wil bear. If these career Uber drivers are unhappy with their career, they should change it. Tipping in the US is ridiculously out of control as it is. And let's be honest here... we're not talking about a tip, we're talking about a ransom... $5 for 5 or nobody will ever pick up your fare again.

I talk to my Uber driver all the time. I usually don't get a sob story, but even when I do, it doesn't change the fact I'm paying a fair market price for a service.

If you don't understand the reasonable difference between switching from being an Uber driver to a vocational profession vs. becoming an NBA player (which Jeremy Lin did through sheer hard work, by the way...), then this will be a very short conversation.

You're right, tipping is embedded in the US culture... It's wildly out of control. For that exact reason, people should not be spreading it like a disease to services that do not require a tip! There are threads here about people tipping GAs and FAs! It's absolutely ridiculous. I tip where a tip is due per the culture.

You seem to think that what people who are comfortable in life earn or what they are worth is solely for the benefit of others. This is an absolutely ridiculous assertion, and if you stopped letting your emotions cloud your judgement for one second, you would see that as well.

Make no mistake about it... tipping, as far as Uber is concerned, is blackmail/extortion... A tip in exchange for a rating.
That is an absurd statement. And one that is clearly rooted in deep seated emotions rather than any logical explanation.

I am not going to be everyone's nanny just because they made some less than optimal life choices.
Why do I have to tip the driver for making him wait, but when he shows up late, I don't get a refund?
If I have to show up on time or else pay a fine (err... tip)... so should they.
Tell that to uber drivers who never show up on time.
Yeah. That can't be the whole story.

So I pulled up all your comments in this thread and it appears to me that 1. you hate the tipping culture 2. drivers are often late and 3. you do not like the Uber platform because it is based upon extortion or rampant bribery in return for 5*. So my question to you is why bother using Uber then?
Old Nov 5, 2017, 8:25 pm

So my question to you is why bother using Uber then?
Probably so that they can have something to complain about.
Old Nov 5, 2017, 9:04 pm

So I pulled up all your comments in this thread and it appears to me that 1. you hate the tipping culture 2. drivers are often late and 3. you do not like the Uber platform because it is based upon extortion or rampant bribery in return for 5*. So my question to you is why bother using Uber then?
I don't any more. I use a limo service or rental car. Sometimes UberEATS because of the AMEX credits, but with the excessive booking fees now, I rarely even use that.

I'm here posting and responding to comments based on my past experiences.
Old Jan 27, 2018, 2:14 pm

Drop in Uber rating in and around London

Been an Uber User for a fair while now, and noticed that my rating appears to be dropping on every ride now.

My rating has fluctuated over the 4.8 for a long time now, but over my my last few trips it’s dropped to 4.74. I’ve read posts about drivers not picking up passengers who are below 4.7 so this is a little bit worrying.

My reasons for posting is to ask uber drivers why this might be happening?

I am a courteous guy, full of please and thank you’s. I never book a car until I’m where I want to be picked up, so drivers never have to wait for me. Sometimes I have to work in the car, but before I do I always apologise for being “rude” but that I am only being silent as I’m working, but always say please feel free to listen to their radio or whatever. I never eat or drink on the car, and leave it in the same condition as when I leave. When I leave I always make sure to never slam doors, and when getting luggage from the boot/trunk I am careful to never scratch paintwork or damage upholstery.

Its fair to say I go above and beyond to ensure I am an easy, polite passenger. So why is my rating dropping?

is it because there is often a delay in my rating

of drivers? Often when I leave the car I don’t immediately stand on the pavement and rate/tip my driver. I usually get into my house, or the airport terminal, or wherever I am going and when I sit down I tip and rate. I have never given less than a 5 star rating, and always tip (where it’s available).

So drivers - is there something you notice which annoys you about passengers? Apart from rude, or drunk, or demanding passengers? Something which might be a little more subtle that I might unknowingly be doing? Or is it because the tip is not instant?

Thanks in advance.
Old Jan 29, 2018, 1:07 am

Programs: DL-Platinum / AS-PlatPro / Hyatt - Glob / Hilton-Diamond
Originally Posted by travelleru
Been an Uber User for a fair while now, and noticed that my rating appears to be dropping on every ride now.....
My reasons for posting is to ask uber drivers why this might be happening?

...Its fair to say I go above and beyond to ensure I am an easy, polite passenger.
...So why is my rating dropping? ...is it because there is often a delay in my rating of drivers?
So drivers - is there something you notice which annoys you about passengers? Apart from rude, or drunk, or demanding passengers? Something which might be a little more subtle that I might unknowingly be doing? Or is it because the tip is not instant?

Thanks in advance.
TL;DR ...
You sound like the perfect passenger.
So I can only guess that you've had a couple of drivers who feel the default passenger rating is a 4 and only upgrade if you give an instant monetary tip. I feel this is asinine, but that's just my opinion. And it may not have all been your recent trips as the rating is "weighted" to recent trips. And I don't think you have to worry about these minor "hic-cups" in your rating having any effect on your Uber experience.

Full answer....
Well, I can't respond specifically to your question since I'm a USA driver.
I will say that (in the USA) drivers must rate the passenger before they can receive their next ride request. It is literally, "goodbye" to you, swipe COMPLETE TRIP on my Uber Driver App, then swipe COMPLETE RATING which defaults to a "5". In other words ... "goodbye" swipe, swipe ... and you have a 5 star rating before you enter the door of your destination. So as far as a tip (via the app), I'm clueless at that point. Granted, drivers (and I assume passengers ??) can call Uber Support to change a rating (obviously, after the fact). But to monitor tips and go back thru this process would be a major pain.

I retired early (at age 58) and drive for Uber only as a supplement. Which means I typically only drive one day a week. Several days without driving, I have seen my rating change ... add tips being added. Once I even had an automated deposit into my checking account (we're paid weekly via direct deposit) in a week when I had zero driving. I found it to be a tip from a trip of the previous week. The point being, I've heard (and now believe) that passengers are reminded to rate (and tip) before requesting their next ride. It's not immediate like the driver's (essential) requirement to rate asap.

I will say that a driver's rating is based only on the last 500 (rated ??) rides.
I don't know if this applies to passenger ratings, but it does make sense. Perhaps you've recently (from bad luck if nothing else) have received a few "bad apple" ratings. Initially, they may not have mattered much in your overall rating ... but as older 5 Star rides "fell off", it resulting in a continuing lowering of your "last 500" average.

I will say that the passenger's rating isn't as important (to Uber) as the driver's rating.
Uber can (and will) deactivate a driver if their average drops below 4.6 (maybe that cutoff is market specific).
I don't think Uber will cancel a passenger's account on ratings alone. As a driver, when I get a ride request, all I know is how far away you are (in Uber estimated minutes) and your rating. So I have very little info to base my "accept/decline" decision on (and if I don't "accept" within about 10 seconds, it defaults to a "decline" which is a minor mark against me for future requests). Most drivers have a "minimum rating" in their mind and plan to decline any ride requests below it. And in reality, many of my ride request come in while I'm nearing my current passenger's destination ... I don't have the time to "study" the request, so I "accept" it. All this to say that a lower passenger rating is not as arbitrary as a lower driver rating. You may have a rating of "2" and Uber will still accept you, though you may have to wait longer for a driver who will agree to take you (without knowing where you're going).

So from the Ubers view, a driver being rated 4 or lower is considered a "FAIL".
A passenger can be rated anything, it's up to the driver to decide if they want the $$$ or not. If a driver declines, Uber keeps pinging drivers until they get an "accept". Uber earns their $$$ either way, so a passenger has to be really bad (violate Terms & Conditions) before the passenger gets "fired" from Uber. The passenger's rating is almost moot (except if I rate you low, Uber will not in the future assign me to you again ... or so I've heard).

My personal thought is that all of my passengers are a 5 by default.
I've only had one who I though of rating as a 4 .... his pick-up location was off a bit, his drop off address was 4 blocks off (transposed numerals) and he reeked of alcohol & tobacco (which leaves me concerned that my next passenger will down rate me for the lingering smell).
But you know what ?? ... it was a busy night in a busy area so I was "goodbye...swipe...swipe" and within seconds of drop-off, he had his 5 star and I was available for my next fare. Who knows if/when and what he will rate me. I will never know.

All of my passengers (as in 100% of anybody taking an "uber" in my car) have been rated as 5 Star.
I, as a diver, have a very high rating, close to 5 Stars (always have been 4.9 or higher) . But only about 20% of my riders have taken the time to rate me. I'm only a couple of bad ratings away from (potentially) being deactivated (this is supposed to motivate me how ???). And many riders think of their rating (to the driver) of 4 as being "above average", not as the "FAIL" that Uber will interpret it as. The system is not fair.
I heard that to address this "unfair" issue that Uber now requires drivers and riders trying to issue a rating of 4 or below to click a generic reason as to why.
Old Feb 1, 2018, 7:04 am

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC, National Exec
One thing I've noticed recently - in NYC, drivers are no longer rating Uber Pool passengers. Pax still rate the drivers, but no passenger ratings. Wonder if Uber saw consistently lower ratings from Pool, and decided it wasn't worth it/helpful. Also, other pax would see the driver rating the person who just got out of the car, so maybe that had something to do with it.
Old Feb 3, 2018, 6:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
Not long ago on an Uberpool ride, the driver remarked with some surprise, "Wow, you guys both have perfect 5.0 ratings!" I always rate drivers; it's possible I gave a 4 once, but otherwise all fives, including the older woman whose trip felt like a scene from Mr. Magoo! In that case, I received an unsolicited apology from Uber as the arrival time significantly exceeded their estimate.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.