Wingz ?

Old Jun 12, 16, 4:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
Wingz ?

I'm surprised there's hardly any mention of Wingz here.

While it's obviously smaller and more specialized than Uber or Lyft, this is a frequent flyer forum, after all. But there's a SPAM conga and that's about it...

So I'm looking for opinions, good or bad.

I've got an upcoming trip that will have be returning to DFW around midnight. My Uber experiences picking up at both DAL and DFW late at night aren't great, getting "No UberX available" and/or a 15+ minute wait, and those were around 10 or 11 pm; this will be even later. So the idea of having an arranged ride is appealing.

The downside, of course, is price. UberX usually runs me about $31, and I have $20 credits to bring that down to $11 net. Wings quotes $48, or $43 after the $5 first ride credit. So Wingz is $32 more, but for a smooth and efficient pick up, that might be worthwhile. And if I plan on Uber and there's no car available, a taxi would be $70+.

So, who has used Wingz for airport pickups? Was the experience good? Was the driver there waiting for you? Do Wingz riders usually tip?
Old Jun 19, 16, 4:53 pm

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), Hyatt Discoverist(?), Marriott/SPG Gold
I've used them multiple times at to-and-from SFO. Experience has been good in general and you have the ability to request a driver if you like one of them a lot. However since Uber and Lyft cut their rates, Wingz is generally higher unless you go during rush hour / surge. I use them if I'm flying out early in the morning or late at night when I'm uncertain about the Lyft/Uber coverage.
Old Aug 2, 16, 1:15 am

Programs: BA Avios, UA MP, AA, Choice, Club Carlson
Model

So wingz is just a different model. Ive used it sometimes. I find it useful when you need to make your plans ahead of time. No surge surprises no guessing if there are enough ubers. U prebook confirm and on ur way. Its anti on demand and so it serves a purpose. Its can be more expensive than uber but flat fees are nice. Im not sure its a model that will last very long tho since uber and lyft are in every airport now almost.
Old Sep 12, 16, 1:52 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, HH Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
I used Wingz to and from AUS airport recently because of no more Uber/Lyft in Austin. I reserved the car 3 hrs in advance, after boarding my flight to AUS but before leaving gate. Got a confirmation right away. Very nice driver Jeff in White Prius.
I reserved Wingz the night before return to the airport and requested Jeff again if he was available. He was and arrived right on time.

The 2 Hr advance reservation for airport pickup/dropoff was not a problem for me but not as freeform as Uber/Lyft. The 1 hour advance reservation for in town rides would be a barrier to use.

I was very satisfied and the ride cost less than others who attended the same meeting paid for a Taxi or the ride service obtained through the hotel.

Search this Thread