Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 25, 2017, 2:47 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: KENNECTED
Understanding your rating
Ratings allow us to ensure a great experience with Uber for both riders and drivers. Just like you rate drivers, drivers can rate riders on a scale of 1-5 stars after each trip.

How your rating is calculated
Your rating is an average of the ratings you’ve received from drivers, and is measured out of 5 stars. Ratings are anonymous, so neither you nor your driver will ever see an individual rating you’ve received.

Very few people have a perfect rating, so don’t despair if your average isn’t 5.0. Things that seem small to you can matter to your driver - it’s easy to accidentally slam a door if you’re not thinking about it. Knowing a little more about the things that affect a driver’s happiness can help you be a 5-star rider.

Short wait times.
Drivers love when riders are ready to go when they arrive at the pickup location. That includes making sure the location you entered is actually where you’ll be.

Courtesy.
Simple but true - it’s important that riders treat drivers and their cars the way they’d expect to be treated themselves. A positive attitude and considerate use of the car go a long way. That slice of pizza can wait.

Safety.
Drivers want to make sure everyone in their car is safe. Drivers shouldn’t be encouraged to break any laws. For example, every rider in the car should have their own seatbelt.

Why your rating matters
Ratings foster mutual respect between riders and drivers. This strengthens our community and helps everyone get the most from Uber. Just as you expect drivers to treat you with respect, drivers hope to feel the same acknowledgement from riders. A high rating is about more than bragging rights among your friends; it’s a sign that people enjoyed their time with you. Keep up the good work!
Print Wikipost

What's Your Uber Passenger Rating?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 30, 2018, 11:06 am

Programs: DL-Platinum / AS-PlatPro / Hyatt - Glob / Hilton-Diamond
Yea ... as a driver I can tell you that I am NOT eligible to get another "ping" (ride request) until I have noted "ride completed" AND rated the passenger. My app is locked until I've done those 2 steps. My riders are usually getting their 5 star rating as I'm saying "thank you".

I've noted that for (in app) tips, most don't show up for hours (days) later. Watching my counts for (how passengers have rated me) "total rated trips" and "total 5 star", I see that same pattern .... and giving your driver an in-app tip is tied to your giving th rating. So I've come up with the theory that a lot of riders don't rate/tip until they open the Uber app for their NEXT ride. I've supported that theory by noting that going home after a restaurant drop-off (I don't drive Uber at night) that don't rate until about 2-3 hours later. The 2 times I've noticed a small deposit during a week I didn't drive at all, I traced them back to airport drop-offs the week before.

So ... given that I have to rate asap, but the passenger may not rate and/or tip for several hours/days later, makes it very hard for a driver to "penalize" a passenger for no tipping. We can go back and re-rate via Uber Support, but dealing with that group is an extremely frustrating experience. And at what point would I decide to "give up" and do such a thing ? In my market, I'd trying to downrate half my rides. Not worth the effort.
I'm sure there are some drivers that will initially (at drop-off) give you a lower rating for no cash tip. I say go ahead and let them do it. The passenger rating is practically irrelevant so let the driver's long term history of low ratings build up. Not that Uber cares, but you never know when that plus another factor might eventually lead to de-activation.

The only times I've rated a rider lower than 5 stars have been for crumbs all over my back seat and attitude .... talking me down because I'm "just an Uber driver" (I'm actually someone who was able to retire at the grand ole age of 58 and only driver for Uber about 6 hours a week, mainly when I need/want to go "into town").
Silver Fox likes this.
Old Jun 30, 2018, 1:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
There are drivers who openly state they look at tipping later, downgrading individual passengers accordingly. My own story is that my perfect score dropped significantly after a couple of skipped tips. Apparently, other drivers don't find that process all that much work (as you do).
I will say that drivers are generally eager enough for fares that they aren't picky about ratings; moreover, on Pool trips they can't refuse a pickup if they wanted to, although I've seen another pax along the way screwed when the driver, limited English skills, misread the pickup spot, moving on after a couple of minutes, from a block away.
Old Jun 30, 2018, 1:32 pm

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
Originally Posted by steve64
Yea ... as a driver I can tell you that I am NOT eligible to get another "ping" (ride request) until I have noted "ride completed" AND rated the passenger. My app is locked until I've done those 2 steps. My riders are usually getting their 5 star rating as I'm saying "thank you".

I've noted that for (in app) tips, most don't show up for hours (days) later. Watching my counts for (how passengers have rated me) "total rated trips" and "total 5 star", I see that same pattern .... and giving your driver an in-app tip is tied to your giving th rating. So I've come up with the theory that a lot of riders don't rate/tip until they open the Uber app for their NEXT ride. I've supported that theory by noting that going home after a restaurant drop-off (I don't drive Uber at night) that don't rate until about 2-3 hours later. The 2 times I've noticed a small deposit during a week I didn't drive at all, I traced them back to airport drop-offs the week before.

So ... given that I have to rate asap, but the passenger may not rate and/or tip for several hours/days later, makes it very hard for a driver to "penalize" a passenger for no tipping. We can go back and re-rate via Uber Support, but dealing with that group is an extremely frustrating experience. And at what point would I decide to "give up" and do such a thing ? In my market, I'd trying to downrate half my rides. Not worth the effort.
I'm sure there are some drivers that will initially (at drop-off) give you a lower rating for no cash tip. I say go ahead and let them do it. The passenger rating is practically irrelevant so let the driver's long term history of low ratings build up. Not that Uber cares, but you never know when that plus another factor might eventually lead to de-activation.

The only times I've rated a rider lower than 5 stars have been for crumbs all over my back seat and attitude .... talking me down because I'm "just an Uber driver" (I'm actually someone who was able to retire at the grand ole age of 58 and only driver for Uber about 6 hours a week, mainly when I need/want to go "into town").
How can you ID a driver who doesn’t tip via app and then change your rating later via Support?
Old Jun 30, 2018, 11:00 pm

Programs: American Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Silver
Originally Posted by 747FC

Are they not required to rate passengers immediately after the ride?
Yes, but they might re-rate the customer afterwards from the ride receipt emails which gives a breakdown of earnings plus how much the rider tipped. The emails have five clickable stars on the bottom to allow drivers (and riders) to re-rate afterwards.

The driver isn't going to give you a bad rating right away because they won't see whether you tipped and how much until later.

As for whether the driver would be reducing the "supply" of riders by malicious re-rating, it's not a problem for drivers in large cities such as New York, as this and other threads have mentioned.
Old Jul 1, 2018, 12:59 am

I second this. Uber is a fast-moving tech company. They are bound to someday hire a product manager who proposes to define curmudgeon / high-maintenance drivers as those who rate passengers much worse than normal. Who knows what will happen to those drivers, then.
Old Jul 1, 2018, 11:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
Unfortunately, these services seem so desperate for new drivers that they would be willing to accommodate this nasty habit of downrating for tips.
Old Jul 1, 2018, 2:29 pm

Originally Posted by 747FC

How can you ID a driver who doesn’t tip via app and then change your rating later via Support?
Well, it isn't the driver that tips

We can't ID the rider per se, we ID the trip.
The driver's app has an "earnings" tab that lists each trip and its payout. If a tip was added, it will be noted. Checking this list is how I see tips being added hours/days after drop-off.
Clicking on a specific trip gives a summary of the trip. Clicking "Fare Details" will give the trip ID #. I would assume that ID is what you use to refer to the trip with Uber Support.
Old Jul 1, 2018, 10:06 pm

Originally Posted by diburning
Yes, but they might re-rate the customer afterwards from the ride receipt emails which gives a breakdown of earnings plus how much the rider tipped. The emails have five clickable stars on the bottom to allow drivers (and riders) to re-rate afterwards.
Well, not exactly.
The drivers do not get the "receipt emails". There's nothing clickable that allows drivers to change a rating for a passenger. But to your point, the process is still there ... it's just more convoluted than you think.
Old Jul 1, 2018, 10:22 pm

In that case, the process (for drivers at least) has changed as I haven't taken an Uber in a while since I've been using Lyft. In the past, Uber sent out an email after every ride, for drivers and passengers, with the five clickable stars on the bottom.
Old Jul 1, 2018, 11:23 pm

Originally Posted by diburning
In that case, the process (for drivers at least) has changed as I haven't taken an Uber in a while since I've been using Lyft. In the past, Uber sent out an email after every ride, for drivers and passengers, with the five clickable stars on the bottom.
Hmmmm...
I am curious as to how you know (or once knew) what emails the drivers get.

But either way, these alleged emails sound very close to the the trip history I see in the driver app. So I dug around a little trying to support your claim of clickable stars to change a rating (FYI, the drop-off screen where I need to rate a passenger is a screen of stars that defaults to 5 I an click a lower star to lower the rating. I've heard a recent change is that if I click 4 or below, I'll be presented a list of generic "reasons" for the lower rating)
This path: EARNINGS tab --> TRIPS --> gives me a trip by trip list
If I click on a specific trip, then from that trip click HELP, I get a list of help items (IE: I found an item, Issues with my fare, etc.).
One of the "issues" is ISSUE WITH A RIDER. Clicking that gives me this selection list <emphasis color is mine>:
  • My rider was rude
  • My rider made me feel unsafe
  • A rider made a mess in my vehicle
  • A rider damaged my vehicle
  • Changing rider ratings
I only researched "Changing rider ratings". It states:
Changing rider ratings
After every completed trip you will be asked to rate your riders between 1 and 5 stars. When a trip is cancelled, neither the rider nor the driver will be able to leave a rating.
Please take time to consider the most appropriate rating for the rider's behavior during the trip. We do not change rider or driver ratings once they have been entered into the Uber app.

I've no idea when such "no rating change" took affect nor if it's really true (can a call to Uber Support still result in a change ??)
I like driving for Uber (on my extreme part time basis), but Uber is notorious for lack of driver training. In other words, they change anything they want with no notification to the drivers. We learn by looking like idiots while trying to decipher the info the app is showing us.

Last edited by steve64; Jul 1, 2018 at 11:42 pm Reason: original formatting (indents) were lost
Old Jul 1, 2018, 11:30 pm

Originally Posted by Points Scrounger
There are drivers who openly state they look at tipping later, downgrading individual passengers accordingly. My own story is that my perfect score dropped significantly after a couple of skipped tips. Apparently, other drivers don't find that process all that much work (as you do).
I've looked over this entire thread. There are no "drivers who openly state they look at tipping later, downgrading individual passengers accordingly", so perhaps those claims are from another source ?
There are many claims of such activity being alleged by riders, but none from drivers. To be clear ... I'm talking about drivers re-rating a trip after seeing no tip received.

Something to consider in these debates (particularly as they relate to this thread)...
About a year ago, Uber finally added in "in app" tip feature. This thread, and drivers claiming they will down-rate for no tip, predates this significant change.
Prior to this change, I would allow your argument 100%. Drivers knew within about 10 seconds whether or not they are getting a tip for this ride. I'm sure many waited this "10 seconds" before rating (thus marking them available for another ride). And I'm sure the asinine tactic of drivers down rating for no tip was rampant.
But with the "in app" tipping feature in place, the dynamics have seriously changed. Drivers no longer know within "10 seconds" of drop off if they will be tipped or not. As I noted in a previous post, I see in-app tips frequently showing up hours, or even days, after drop-off. Again, I'm sure (a very small percentage) of drivers still operate "old school" and down-rate at drop-off due to no immediate cash tip (and IMHO, risking losing a later in-app tip being added). I can support your "re-rate" argument only with the caveat that an extremely small percentage of drivers feel it is worthwhile (again .... the time and effort to do this every "driving day", to "penalize" a rider with something that is likely to affect nothing but their ego, is a waste of time ... the time would be better spent being "on the road" longer).

I do want to expand on my claim that a driver can not get another trip request until they've rated their most recent trip. This statement is an over simplication.
A relatively recent (1 or 2 years ago) is "stacked pings". While on a current ride with passenger #1 , I can now get a ping for passenger #2 . This contradicts my simple claim that I can't get request #2 until I've rated #1 which obviously can't happen until ride #1 is completed. At this point, ping #2 is a request only. I'll be given the estimated time to the Pickup point (include going to drop-off point #1 first) and rider #2 s rating. No different than any other ping. If I'm still on ride #1 , accepting ping #2 does NOT give me the pickup point. I do NOT get the #2 pickup location until I've rated ride #1 . So, in agreement with my simple claim, I can NOT start (even though I've accepted) ride #2 until I've rated ride #1 .

Last edited by steve64; Jul 1, 2018 at 11:38 pm
Old Jul 2, 2018, 12:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I am talking about drivers at other forums stating that they go through a day or so later noting non tippers for punative downgrades. Apparently, they were able to simply "amend" their ratings without too much trouble.

My drastic poor ratings decline, linked in a timely manner to a lack of tip, would seem to bear that out within the past few months. I have no problem leaving a tip most of the time; most drivers are folks I have liked and respected. There have been the odd few where that just hasn't been the case.

If the current policy means drivers have to make a serious concerted effort to downgrade later, I'll consider that as Uber taking the situation more seriously.
steve64 likes this.
Old Jul 2, 2018, 6:59 pm

Hmmmm...
I am curious as to how you know (or once knew) what emails the drivers get.
I once had a coworker who drove for Uber on the side, and he showed me the emails to brag about the money he was making (he was trying to refer me as a driver).

As for riders, this is what the receipt looks like, and the five stars at the bottom where the rider can click to re-rate the driver (which once was also available on the emails also sent to the drivers). Also note that the rider can add a tip (or add an additional tip) after the ride as well

And, before someone points out that this total is a bit low for a ride of that length and distance, this is the total after the Amex promo (which took off ~$6).

steve64 likes this.
Old Jul 3, 2018, 12:19 am

Originally Posted by Points Scrounger
I am talking about drivers at other forums stating that they go through a day or so later noting non tippers for punative downgrades. Apparently, they were able to simply "amend" their ratings without too much trouble.

My drastic poor ratings decline, linked in a timely manner to a lack of tip, would seem to bear that out within the past few months. I have no problem leaving a tip most of the time; most drivers are folks I have liked and respected. There have been the odd few where that just hasn't been the case.

If the current policy means drivers have to make a serious concerted effort to downgrade later, I'll consider that as Uber taking the situation more seriously.
Thanks for the reply. Good to hear the other perspective.

If you're referring to uberpeople.net (driver's forum) or something similar, my suggestion would be to take everything with a grain of salt. At least on the Phoenix sub-forum, there are lot of disgruntled folks on there. I lurked on that forum for a year before signing up with Uber and long ago came to the conclusion that the most active members on there were more interested in trying to discourage new drivers vs actually having a forum to discuss issues with other drivers. When I stated here that I'd never doubt there are still some drivers operating "old school" and downrating ASAP for no (cash) tip, it was some of the diehards on that site that I was thinking of. IMHO: Just like FT doesn't represent all frequent flyers (just a subset really focused on "scrounging for points"), rideshare driver forums don't represent the full driver community. Just watch the newbies come-n-go vs the hard-balls that never leave.

Your "drastic poor ratings decline" ??
<sarcasm on> Ok, on that one I'm gonna say "go cry me a river"
Your lowest I've seen you mention here on FT is a 4.66. So you have "drastically" declined from "perfect score" to somewhere between "outstanding passenger" and "excellent passenger". Poor poor you <sarcasm off>
Seriously, I doubt you will ever find a driver rejecting your ride request based on your rating of 4.66 (which you've stated has since improved anyhow).
I've no idea your total ride count is, but one thing that has surprised me is how a single down rate (justified or not is irrelevant) can lower your score .... and then how slow a long string of 5's take to raise that average back.
That same driver forum that I suggested you practically ignore, does offer the advice that we will all encounter "that" low rating person simply because they don't like the color of you car and/or they don't have a dog at home to kick for their bad day and/or whatever. I'm ashamed to think a driver would take that attitude towards a customer, but have no doubt that it happens. Work out your averages yourself. Is it possible that your "drastic decline" was due to one single driver ??

When Uber added the "in-app tip" feature, my thought was "a change that's a positive for drivers" ??? That's not Uber's style, we are their enemy because we are their highest cost (IMO, they forget they aren't paying us just for diving services, they're also paying us for vehicle ownership/maint/depreciation/insurance/gas/etc).
As I was adding my previous reply, I thought "Ah haa ... the in-app-tip wasn't added for the drivers, it was added as the 1st step to stop the driver scam of downrating for no tip" (because as I've noted, we no longer know right away that we will not be tipped for a ride that just ended). If the ability to alter ratings has been inhibited, then I also think it's a good change (until the day my "new" rider gripes about the garbage under the seat ... garbage that wasn't there when I started my driving day ... yes, I have had this disrespect for my personal vehicle happen, but fortunately the new rider didn't downrate me for the previous rider's action)
Old Jul 3, 2018, 1:09 am

Started reading this thread from the beginning...So when did tipping become mandatory?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.