Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 25, 2017, 2:47 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: KENNECTED
Understanding your rating
Ratings allow us to ensure a great experience with Uber for both riders and drivers. Just like you rate drivers, drivers can rate riders on a scale of 1-5 stars after each trip.

How your rating is calculated
Your rating is an average of the ratings you’ve received from drivers, and is measured out of 5 stars. Ratings are anonymous, so neither you nor your driver will ever see an individual rating you’ve received.

Very few people have a perfect rating, so don’t despair if your average isn’t 5.0. Things that seem small to you can matter to your driver - it’s easy to accidentally slam a door if you’re not thinking about it. Knowing a little more about the things that affect a driver’s happiness can help you be a 5-star rider.

Short wait times.
Drivers love when riders are ready to go when they arrive at the pickup location. That includes making sure the location you entered is actually where you’ll be.

Courtesy.
Simple but true - it’s important that riders treat drivers and their cars the way they’d expect to be treated themselves. A positive attitude and considerate use of the car go a long way. That slice of pizza can wait.

Safety.
Drivers want to make sure everyone in their car is safe. Drivers shouldn’t be encouraged to break any laws. For example, every rider in the car should have their own seatbelt.

Why your rating matters
Ratings foster mutual respect between riders and drivers. This strengthens our community and helps everyone get the most from Uber. Just as you expect drivers to treat you with respect, drivers hope to feel the same acknowledgement from riders. A high rating is about more than bragging rights among your friends; it’s a sign that people enjoyed their time with you. Keep up the good work!
Print Wikipost

What's Your Uber Passenger Rating?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 16, 2017, 3:13 am

Programs: UA 1MM, AA Plat, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Glob, IHG ♢ Amb, Hilton ♢, Hertz Pres
Originally Posted by brunes
I am sorry but I (as well as many other rideshare millennials) am philosophically opposed to tipping. America in general is extremely over-tipped and needs drastic change. This culture that has evolved whereby people expect tips to make up for the lack of getting appropriately paid HAS TO STOP. This is one of the things that drove me to appreciate the gig economy in the first place - the Nirvana future without tipping, where people simply GET PAID WHAT THEY'RE WORTH. The idea that the consumer has to issue a tax-free subsidy because employers don't pay enough is such a US centric mindset (in most of Europe no one ever expect tips for anything), and it really needs to end. If we (consumers) don't stop it then who will. Other countries have pulled this off forever. Restaurants across America are doing it. The movement is growing. We are TIRED OF TIPPING FOR EVERYTHING.

In short - you are a contractor for Uber, NOT me, the rider. If you don't think Uber is paying you enough, then either fight with Uber to make more money, or stop driving for them altogether and do something else. It's not my problem as a rider what you are being paid for your services, because I'm not the one paying you, so stop trying to guilt me into making up for it.
I agree with you on the tipping culture. And I am not a millennial.
Old Sep 16, 2017, 4:04 am

Programs: Uber, Lyft, Skymiles, Thanksagain, Hertz Gold Presidents Club
Originally Posted by TravelinSperry
I agree with you on the tipping culture. And I am not a millennial.
Sigh...
@TravelinSperry @brunes

For those advocating that drivers quit if pay is low you will pay for it in surge pricing. That "supply and demand" formula is out of your control unlike choosing to give $1, $5, $10 or $0.

Tipping a driver and is totally different than tipping at a restaurant. Tipping your driver should be because something was exceptional or because you had special needs or wants. You tip your wait staff because the get $3ish an hour and your tip is their pay.
Driver tip = gratitude Wait staff tip = gratitude... and not being an @$$#!&.

The "you are a contractor for Uber not me the rider" is a bad mindset. I know drivers that think that way and they kick passengers out or cancel for the smallest infraction. As soon as they arrive they say "Siri start timer for 5 mins" and if you're running up at 4:59 seconds is lock, cancel, drive away.

I've said it many times: The drivers "job" is to go from point a to b in a safely in a clean vehicle.
The riders "job" is to at the pin when the driver arrives, do not make a mess, do not cause safety issues, and go from point a to b.

Special requests, messes, or arriving at 4:55 seconds really warrant a tip.
You are going outside of "jobs" parameters.

Try complaining about a driver who was dirty, unsafe, or went somewhere outside of a to b.
Uber or Lyft or ____ 9 times out of ten refund or credit money to you.

At a restaurant service bad service rarely gets you money back if the food arrived cooked to order and on time.
Old Sep 16, 2017, 4:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
I am v4.186.6 and I do not seem to be able to find my rating, the help says it is under my name, I have made more than 5 trips, and it is not there. Is there somewhere else I should be looking?
Old Sep 16, 2017, 4:57 am

Originally Posted by john2g1

@brunes the Nirvana future without tipping, where people simply GET PAID WHAT THEY'RE WORTH okay you are contradicting yourself.
The short version is when compared to the cost of a taxi, limo, or livery service you (on UberX or UberPOOL) are paying less than what the ride is worth.
Do you know why mass transit is cheap? Because of the volume of people and you pay for it in your taxes. You sir (or ma'am) are subsidizing something (like tipping) that you are not even using.
Have you seen the cost of UberBlack? UberSUV? Those are limo/livery services taking you door to door.
If that's what you use then hey don't tip them. I'm not even advocating a tip for every trip. But there are times when you or life creates the need for a tip.
So many FlyerTalk members complain about a tip but surge prices are a tip. You are saying "I realize that drivers are not where I am so I will pay __x the price to get them here"... TIP
You don't seem to be comprehending.

Not once in my post did I say tipping was expensive. I don't care what Uber charges me. I like most business travelers I don't use Uber to save a peasely 5 dollars, I use it because it is better. Tipping removes one of the things that makes it better because tipping is a massive annoyance to my generation.

I'll gladly pay Uber more money. I'm not paying you a dime though. If they want to pay you more, fine, but I am not clicking any tip button.

Once again, I am not paying you. Uber is. I am not your employer nor am I your client. Uber is your client (or your employer depending on where you stand on the contractor vs. employee side of the gig economy debate - regardless it SURE is not me). If you have a problem with what you are being paid, take it up with your client/employer, NOT ME.
TravelinSperry likes this.
Old Sep 16, 2017, 5:25 am

Originally Posted by brunes
You don't seem to be comprehending.

Not once in my post did I say tipping was expensive. I don't care what Uber charges me. I like most business travelers I don't use Uber to save a peasely 5 dollars, I use it because it is better. Tipping removes one of the things that makes it better because tipping is a massive annoyance to my generation.

I'll gladly pay Uber more money. I'm not paying you a dime though. If they want to pay you more, fine, but I am not clicking any tip button.

Once again, I am not paying you. Uber is. I am not your employer nor am I your client. Uber is your client (or your employer depending on where you stand on the contractor vs. employee side of the gig economy debate - regardless it SURE is not me). If you have a problem with what you are being paid, take it up with your client/employer, NOT ME.
Sooo... You use UberSUV? UberBlack? UberSELECT at least? If you only use UberX I find it hard to believe that you don't care what Uber charges you.

Additionally this driver is totally separate thing you make you a poor steward of your money. At any rate I don't want to veer off topic...

Let me be more clear now than I was before: when you agree to pay surge pricing you are agree to subsidize a built in tip for the driver.

What's the difference? At least when you tip you control it based on service and it goes to the one actually doing the work.
Also saying that tipping is an annoyance is silly. I'm not advocating to always tip instead tipping when warranted. Uber fares do not surge all of the time instead only when warranted... What is the difference?

Let me expand on my comments even further... Why do you insist on separating yourself from the person driving you? What magical universe do you think you can have a driver "demand" to get paid what he/she is worth and have it not affect you?
The money to pay drivers does not come out of thin air. It does however come out of the riders pocket.

Last edited by john2g1; Sep 16, 2017 at 5:32 am
Old Sep 16, 2017, 8:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
I am new to Uber, having taken a few Uber X rides. Drivers have generally been very good. I do tip them.
Old Sep 16, 2017, 12:00 pm

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
Originally Posted by john2g1
Sooo... You use UberSUV? UberBlack? UberSELECT at least? If you only use UberX I find it hard to believe that you don't care what Uber charges you.

Additionally this driver is totally separate thing you make you a poor steward of your money. At any rate I don't want to veer off topic...

Let me be more clear now than I was before: when you agree to pay surge pricing you are agree to subsidize a built in tip for the driver.

What's the difference? At least when you tip you control it based on service and it goes to the one actually doing the work.
Also saying that tipping is an annoyance is silly. I'm not advocating to always tip instead tipping when warranted. Uber fares do not surge all of the time instead only when warranted... What is the difference?

Let me expand on my comments even further... Why do you insist on separating yourself from the person driving you? What magical universe do you think you can have a driver "demand" to get paid what he/she is worth and have it not affect you?
The money to pay drivers does not come out of thin air. It does however come out of the riders pocket.
I like your concept of surge pricing as a form of tipping. Well said. No problem with it.

Some of us don't like the general concept of having to grease a palm, and would prefer all-inclusive pricing. Of course, the negative of that is there service personnel may not have the incentive to be as attentive as they would be when there is a chance their tip would be skipped.
Old Sep 16, 2017, 12:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
Tipping is a scam used by North American businesses to appear that they have lower prices and to lower worker wages, when in reality it is a hidden cost passed to the consumer. This has created a grey zone, where it is expected to tip but not required, rife with issues and misunderstandings.
Old Sep 16, 2017, 12:32 pm
TBD

Programs: All The Programs
Drivers leaving due to low income may drive surge pricing.

But surge pricing also attracts more drivers. Higher rates brings, presumably, higher quality drivers.

So why should I 'tip' to avoid surge pricing if the alternative is actually better for both parties?
Old Sep 17, 2017, 1:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
Originally Posted by Silver Fox
I am v4.186.6 and I do not seem to be able to find my rating, the help says it is under my name, I have made more than 5 trips, and it is not there. Is there somewhere else I should be looking?
Quoting myself here, looked this morning and it has appeared. I am 4.83, I suspect because I don't tip.
Old Sep 18, 2017, 9:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by Silver Fox
Quoting myself here, looked this morning and it has appeared. I am 4.83, I suspect because I don't tip.
I believe they have to rate you as soon as the trip ends, so they wouldn't/couldn't even know.
Old Sep 18, 2017, 11:07 am

Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
I believe they have to rate you as soon as the trip ends, so they wouldn't/couldn't even know.
^^^ This is true.
Old Sep 18, 2017, 11:36 am

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
They know if you have physically greased their palm, which is what I have been doing.
Old Sep 18, 2017, 11:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
So basically it doesn't matter if you tip them in the app, it is just a waste of money that I have been doing all along. Either tip them cash so they can see it and rate you higher, or don't tip them at all. Or tell them you will tip them in the app.
Old Sep 27, 2017, 1:33 pm

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC, National Exec
It appears that Uber drivers will now have the chance to give a reason for giving fewer than five stars to a passenger... Personally, I'd like to see providing a reason for <5 stars be mandatory for both riders and drivers.

https://lifehacker.com/uber-will-now...der-1818853605

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.