Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 25, 2017, 2:47 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: KENNECTED
Understanding your rating
Ratings allow us to ensure a great experience with Uber for both riders and drivers. Just like you rate drivers, drivers can rate riders on a scale of 1-5 stars after each trip.

How your rating is calculated
Your rating is an average of the ratings you’ve received from drivers, and is measured out of 5 stars. Ratings are anonymous, so neither you nor your driver will ever see an individual rating you’ve received.

Very few people have a perfect rating, so don’t despair if your average isn’t 5.0. Things that seem small to you can matter to your driver - it’s easy to accidentally slam a door if you’re not thinking about it. Knowing a little more about the things that affect a driver’s happiness can help you be a 5-star rider.

Short wait times.
Drivers love when riders are ready to go when they arrive at the pickup location. That includes making sure the location you entered is actually where you’ll be.

Courtesy.
Simple but true - it’s important that riders treat drivers and their cars the way they’d expect to be treated themselves. A positive attitude and considerate use of the car go a long way. That slice of pizza can wait.

Safety.
Drivers want to make sure everyone in their car is safe. Drivers shouldn’t be encouraged to break any laws. For example, every rider in the car should have their own seatbelt.

Why your rating matters
Ratings foster mutual respect between riders and drivers. This strengthens our community and helps everyone get the most from Uber. Just as you expect drivers to treat you with respect, drivers hope to feel the same acknowledgement from riders. A high rating is about more than bragging rights among your friends; it’s a sign that people enjoyed their time with you. Keep up the good work!
Print Wikipost

What's Your Uber Passenger Rating?

Search this Thread

Old May 18, 2017, 6:24 pm
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA PPro/DL PLT, PPass, Marriott / Hilton Gold, JetBlue Mosaic, Hertz Presidents Circle, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by pinniped
My rating dipped a little bit after a week in Lima. I think I probably got 3-balled a couple times.

Since I speak limited Spanish, I didn't talk much during the rides. Maybe the drivers thought I was too aloof? I was always in the correct spot for pickup and had accurate dropoff points.
My rating also decreased in Lima after a week taking 3-4 daily rides. Considering that I am a native spanish speaker, and I was always polite, gave exact directions, and always engaged in conversations with the drivers whenever they had a topic.
Old May 25, 2017, 2:49 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta - Gold; Starwood - Platinum; HHonors - Diamond & Avis Preferred
The Andriod app was recently updated and now your rating appears right under your name.

I've included the verbiage in a wiki.
Old Jun 4, 2017, 8:10 am

Originally Posted by JLewisinSyr
That's my thought, penalizing riders for not tipping is against UBERs core policies. I'm sure UBER would love to know this users account information.
i'm really PO'd about this. the whole uber business was built on a cashless premise. i don't have loose dollars with me, rarely use cash. have a few $20 bills for emergencies in my wallet and that's about it. i welcomed uber with open arms because of this, but lately i have been disappointed. if you expect a tip, drive a cab.
Old Jun 5, 2017, 7:22 am

I took a handful of rides (including 2, $150+ rides) in the last two weeks and watched my score go from 4.66 to 4.62. I am totally aware of proper etiquette but I don't tip (I was still on the older assumption it truly was not necessary and maybe even not acceptable). The experience becomes pointless if I have to carry $5 bills for tips. After that .04 ding to my score I decided to write Uber and let them know my thoughts. I'm also moving to Lyft instead.
I did take alot in NYC and I guess they give you 4's (while I make a point of ALWAYS giving 5 unless something really went wrong).

Some uber driver forums confirmed they give out "Five for Five" - 5 score for a $5 tip, only!

I guess I could still use Uber and wait and see how they rate me first from now, and then rate them down accordingly, and do some tips as an experiment. But it's not sustainable really.

Also, it's now inevitable that my score will continue to drop if I am always given 4's. I think it's actually pretty rude. I've even tried to make it clear to each driver that the service was excellent and thanks for the 5 star service. Guess the drivers are a-holes.

So yeah, Lyft it is... at least there is no ambiguity.
Old Jun 8, 2017, 2:33 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum, American Gold, JetBlue Mosaic 4, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond,
Originally Posted by titanium_bbx
I took a handful of rides (including 2, $150+ rides) in the last two weeks and watched my score go from 4.66 to 4.62. I am totally aware of proper etiquette but I don't tip (I was still on the older assumption it truly was not necessary and maybe even not acceptable). The experience becomes pointless if I have to carry $5 bills for tips. After that .04 ding to my score I decided to write Uber and let them know my thoughts. I'm also moving to Lyft instead.
I did take alot in NYC and I guess they give you 4's (while I make a point of ALWAYS giving 5 unless something really went wrong).

Some uber driver forums confirmed they give out "Five for Five" - 5 score for a $5 tip, only!

I guess I could still use Uber and wait and see how they rate me first from now, and then rate them down accordingly, and do some tips as an experiment. But it's not sustainable really.

Also, it's now inevitable that my score will continue to drop if I am always given 4's. I think it's actually pretty rude. I've even tried to make it clear to each driver that the service was excellent and thanks for the 5 star service. Guess the drivers are a-holes.

So yeah, Lyft it is... at least there is no ambiguity.
I ride primarily in New York and hover around a 4.65. I tip about 20% of the time. I've talked to riders in other cities, and they always say NY based riders have lower ratings.
Old Jun 9, 2017, 7:44 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold, Delta Platinum Medallion, AAdvantage Platinum Pro
Originally Posted by Adelphos
I ride primarily in New York and hover around a 4.65. I tip about 20% of the time. I've talked to riders in other cities, and they always say NY based riders have lower ratings.
Not sure how accurate this statement is. I ride Uber a lot across the country, including NYC, and do not notice any fluctuations in my rating even if I spend a month in one city. For example, my rating was a 4.84 before I got to NYC in February. I worked there for 3 weeks, and took at least 2 Uber trips per day. My rating when I left NYC was 4.84.
Old Jun 9, 2017, 7:52 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold, Delta Platinum Medallion, AAdvantage Platinum Pro
Originally Posted by IAD1k
i'm really PO'd about this. the whole uber business was built on a cashless premise. i don't have loose dollars with me, rarely use cash. have a few $20 bills for emergencies in my wallet and that's about it. i welcomed uber with open arms because of this, but lately i have been disappointed. if you expect a tip, drive a cab.
Actually, the whole Uber business model was built on exploiting drivers. Multiple rate cuts over the past several years have been amazing for customers, but at the expense of drivers.

I prefer Uber/Lyft because of the convenience compared to taxi, but in ongoing conversations with drivers, realize it is often not a livable wage. I was recently in Detroit and after a 30 minute Uber ride, realized the driver only made about $8 after Uber fees were taken out. He showed me on his app after the trip.

And to pish posh this by saying "if you expect a tip, drive a cab" is about a offensive as telling your restaurant server "if you want to afford a bigger house, go back to college and study harder."
Old Jun 9, 2017, 7:56 am
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
http://www.npr.org/sections/alltechc...iver-workplace
Old Jun 9, 2017, 9:15 am

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
Very interesting. Thanks for posting.
Old Jun 12, 2017, 10:57 am

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC, National Exec
Originally Posted by Miami305
Not sure how accurate this statement is. I ride Uber a lot across the country, including NYC, and do not notice any fluctuations in my rating even if I spend a month in one city. For example, my rating was a 4.84 before I got to NYC in February. I worked there for 3 weeks, and took at least 2 Uber trips per day. My rating when I left NYC was 4.84.
Were you taking UberX or UberPool? I think the issue is that there are at least a substantial number of NYC Uber drivers who won't give Pool riders five stars.
Old Jun 22, 2017, 11:31 am

5.0 ! I am surprised as I did not give my last driver a good rating. Car was dirty and he was just rude. He was the only driver I haven't bothered to tip.
Old Jun 23, 2017, 5:16 am

Programs: It's Complicated...
Just noticed the rating on the app. I have a 4.85 rating. I have done about 50 trips over the last few years and never tipped once. Most trips have been in Europe and Asia.
Old Jun 26, 2017, 5:04 am
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium/LTG, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by sig05
I have no problem tipping drivers for good service, but if the driver is on their phone, taking bad routes, etc., then I shouldn't be forced to tip to give me a better rating.
Originally Posted by IAD1k
You guys have it all wrong re: driver rating you because of tip amounts. The rating process is after the driver ends your ride, the app loads up the star rating screen and the driver must rate the passenger immediately, at this point the driver does not even see how much the fare was until you rate the passenger. When the driver rates the passenger, that's final and you can't go back and change the star rating or anything.

My driver rating is 4.87* (started driving 11 weeks ago and completed 180 rides including someone who gave me a 1* which I know is totally unreasonable but what can I do about that?!?!) and my rider rating is 4.81*
Old Jun 26, 2017, 12:49 pm

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
Originally Posted by alanslegal
You guys have it all wrong re: driver rating you because of tip amounts. The rating process is after the driver ends your ride, the app loads up the star rating screen and the driver must rate the passenger immediately, at this point the driver does not even see how much the fare was until you rate the passenger. When the driver rates the passenger, that's final and you can't go back and change the star rating or anything.
So if you stop to let a customer off at their destination, and he/she quickly opens the door and gives you a cash tip, are you saying that there is no way to factor that tip into your rating of the customer?
Old Jun 26, 2017, 1:51 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Miami305
Actually, the whole Uber business model was built on exploiting drivers. Multiple rate cuts over the past several years have been amazing for customers, but at the expense of drivers.
The exploitative bit is really the leasing of the cars. Get a driver into a lease, then cut the rates...that's not fair.

If Uber and Lyft had stayed out of the leasing business, then I'd say let 'em try to slash rates as low as they'll go....or raise them as high as they'll go...and let the supply of riders and drivers sort itself out with surge pricing. At that point, it truly is peer-to-peer sharing, and Uber and Lyft would compete simply to have the best algorithm and modest platform commission. If it's your car and your time, you can decide whether to drive at that exact moment.

But I do agree: roping people into the leases based on a set of base model expectations...and then drastically changing the model...wasn't fair. That's the part where drivers can more reasonably argue that "this is a job" with expectations of hours, wages, etc.

A Lyft driver in PHX last week said he recently turned in his leased car and went back to driving his own. The lease terms kept getting worse...and they wanted him to do more rush-hour runs than he wanted to. This driver preferred to work the lunchtime crowd, dinner crowd, and a couple late nights...avoiding the worst of the traffic. (And now he can do that...in his own car.)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.