Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 25, 2017, 2:47 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: KENNECTED
Understanding your rating
Ratings allow us to ensure a great experience with Uber for both riders and drivers. Just like you rate drivers, drivers can rate riders on a scale of 1-5 stars after each trip.

How your rating is calculated
Your rating is an average of the ratings you’ve received from drivers, and is measured out of 5 stars. Ratings are anonymous, so neither you nor your driver will ever see an individual rating you’ve received.

Very few people have a perfect rating, so don’t despair if your average isn’t 5.0. Things that seem small to you can matter to your driver - it’s easy to accidentally slam a door if you’re not thinking about it. Knowing a little more about the things that affect a driver’s happiness can help you be a 5-star rider.

Short wait times.
Drivers love when riders are ready to go when they arrive at the pickup location. That includes making sure the location you entered is actually where you’ll be.

Courtesy.
Simple but true - it’s important that riders treat drivers and their cars the way they’d expect to be treated themselves. A positive attitude and considerate use of the car go a long way. That slice of pizza can wait.

Safety.
Drivers want to make sure everyone in their car is safe. Drivers shouldn’t be encouraged to break any laws. For example, every rider in the car should have their own seatbelt.

Why your rating matters
Ratings foster mutual respect between riders and drivers. This strengthens our community and helps everyone get the most from Uber. Just as you expect drivers to treat you with respect, drivers hope to feel the same acknowledgement from riders. A high rating is about more than bragging rights among your friends; it’s a sign that people enjoyed their time with you. Keep up the good work!
Print Wikipost

What's Your Uber Passenger Rating?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 4, 2018, 1:41 pm

Programs: DL-Platinum / AS-PlatPro / Hyatt - Glob / Hilton-Diamond
Originally Posted by Caribgrl
Started reading this thread from the beginning...So when did tipping become mandatory?
Never.
The only main change is a new tool in the app that allows you to add a tip to the total fare. Use or ignore this tool as you desire.
Caribgrl likes this.
Old Jan 14, 2019, 5:48 pm

My passenger rating has been dropping steadily. No idea why, but I've started to retaliate. I used to give 5 stars to 95% of drivers. I now give 5 stars to 50% of drivers.
Silver Fox likes this.
Old Jan 15, 2019, 12:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
It will be interesting to see what happens in London to ratings for drivers when Uber brings in its 15p per mile "Clean Air" charge. Much gnashing of teeth on soshial meeja about whether Ubers intentions are honourable or not.
Old Jan 18, 2019, 6:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
Originally Posted by davie355
My passenger rating has been dropping steadily. No idea why, but I've started to retaliate. I used to give 5 stars to 95% of drivers. I now give 5 stars to 50% of drivers.
​​​​​​I had a couple of rides recently where the driver must have given me a 3 or a 4, though I thought everything was just fine with no obvious problem. This afternoon, I was mentioning this to a veteran driver who said that he understood that some drivers refuse to give 5 stars for what they considered to be a short trip; the minute they accept your "local" ride, your rating is due for a ding.

I went back and downrated. Petty? Sue me!
Old Jan 18, 2019, 8:46 pm

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
Originally Posted by Points Scrounger
​​​​​​I had a couple of rides recently where the driver must have given me a 3 or a 4, though I thought everything was just fine with no obvious problem. This afternoon, I was mentioning this to a veteran driver who said that he understood that some drivers refuse to give 5 stars for what they considered to be a short trip; the minute they accept your "local" ride, your rating is due for a ding.
!
You highlight one of the many problems with these services: They are staffed by some people who are not the sharpest knives in the drawer, and who probably have difficulty getting along in structured environments. They have an entitlement mentality that punishes innocents.
Old Jan 20, 2019, 5:30 pm

Programs: UA GS, SQ PPS, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Accor Gold
4.87 over probably 1000 rides. I never tip. But I am polite, always waiting for the car when it arrives at the exact spot I put the pin, and make it a point to respect the driver and their vehicle.

I give good drivers/cars five stars; cars with any problems (dirty/run-down, mechanical issues, significant damage) but a good driver get a four, drivers that can't seem to follow the nav properly (this is disturbingly common and there's really no excuse for it given I can manage 99% of the time even in strange cities) get a three, and any safety issues get you a one and a note to Uber.
Old Mar 4, 2019, 11:30 am

Programs: UA MM, AS MVP Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, National Exec Elite
5.00 after about 20 rides. I don't typically tip, but make sure I am at the pickup location before the driver. I use Uber for airport transportation, and I will leave a cash tip if the driver helps with my luggage.
Old Sep 2, 2019, 3:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
Any idea of how many rides taken into account: 100, 500, 1000?
Old Sep 3, 2019, 12:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
13 in my case.
Old Sep 3, 2019, 3:14 pm

IIRC driver ratings are an average of the last 500 trips. I don't know if there is any such cutoff for passenger ratings.
Old Sep 3, 2019, 3:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
Don't use Uber. I must be a weirdo.
Old Sep 3, 2019, 8:54 pm

Programs: Costco Executive, RaceTrac Sultan of Soda, Chick-fil-A Red

Taken about 10 rides in the past two years

I don't use Uber much as Lyft earns me SkyPesos and HHonor points.
Old Oct 14, 2019, 7:40 am

Programs: Delta
Originally Posted by Caribgrl
Started reading this thread from the beginning...So when did tipping become mandatory?
Originally Posted by Annalisa12
Don't use Uber. I must be a weirdo.

Mine is 4.9 on both after I'm too lazy to look up how many trips. I avoid Uber or Lyft unless I can't find a cab. Unless you get a newbie, cab drivers know where they're going and know their city. It's rare an Uber or Lyft driver knows their city and even rarer they know where they're going. They're too dependent on the GPS. Uber';s is wrong a lot & Lyft's just quits working.

Tipping's not mandatory, but I usually tip. This applies to cabs, limos & U/L: I tip for acceptable service. If the driver has a rotten attitude or neither him nor his car has had a bath recently I won't tip. If it's really bad, dirty or smelly, I report to Uber or the local reg. agency on the cabs. Most of them take email complaints on cabs these days. I tip in app or on the card if it's a place where Uber Taxi, Flywheel or Curb isn't available. The U/L drivers tell me the story they hear the most is "I'll tip in app" & most passengers don't, or so they say.

The driver can't change the rating on Uber. He can on Lyft. He gets like a week to do it. I've had my Lyft rating drop & suddenly go up , even though I didn't take a trip on it. I'm guessing it's b\c the driver saw I did actually tip in app. If the driver on Lyft doesn't rate right away, the app just gives you a 5. The driver has to go back & change it. The Lyft driver CAN rate you right away. The Uber driver has to rate you right away if he wants another trip.

I'm always at the location. If it looks like something's not quite right, I text the driver with corrections and updates. I always ask the address where I am before I request a car so I can text it to the driver if I have to. Drivers have shown me where the app sent them to the wrong address a hundred times. I don't eat in the car. Most drivers don't mind a cup of coffee if it has a lid or a bottle of Coke. I say "Good Moring/Afternoon/Evening".

A lot of airports will give you information on cab rates and estimates to popular destinations. I check them against the up front fare that U/L give. If the u/l is a lot less, I might use it, depending on where I want to go. I've been surprised by U/L drivers who don't know how to get to popular destinations. Often, the U/L quote is about the same as the cab quote at airports. This is especially true at DCA. A cab driver there who also does U/L told me it's b\c DCA has a tax for U/L and DC itself has 2 taxes on all U/L rides that come out of or go in DC. There is a cab tax at DCA, but only from it. The same driver told me they pay a gate fee to get in queue, so they can charge the passenger for it. I did find the fare back to DCA is less than from there..
Old Dec 2, 2019, 8:04 am

Programs: AA EXP
My ratings
Uber: 4.67
Lyft: 5.0

I always tip in-app, though clearly that’s hurting my Uber rating.
Old Sep 1, 2020, 4:53 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum, American Gold, JetBlue Mosaic 4, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond,
Started using rideshare regularly again

Lyft - 4.9 stars; 345 rides
Uber - 4.8 stars; probably couple of thousands of rides

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.