Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Uber car reeked of MJ - what to do?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 1, 2017, 3:32 pm

Funny last night this happened to me. A Iittle into ride we noticed pot smell. My wife made a comment to the driver after the ride and I gave a 2 star rating. I woke up to an email from Uber support saying my account was under review for suspicion of having controlled substances.

Unbelievable. Lesson learned I should have left a comment immediately and tweeted ubersupport.
Old Apr 2, 2017, 2:56 pm

I've had my fair share of problems with sub-par Uber rides lately, that's amazing though that they put your account under review, because when I complained about my driver running multiple red lights I only received a standard "We're sorry your trip didn't meet expectations".
Old Apr 7, 2017, 3:00 pm

Programs: UA Pt, Marriott Ti, Hertz PC
If you're actually concerned that it's the DRIVER who has been smoking pot, why would you get in the car and potentially risk a serious incident?

I would've mentioned the smell and if he seemed at all impaired and I felt uncomfortable about riding with him, I would've made up an excuse about a sensitivity or allergy and cancelled the ride. And depending on where I was headed, I may not want to walk in having picked up the smell from the car.

Also, give an honest rating. It was obviously not a 5 since you felt bothered enough by it to complain vent here, but neither was it a 1. Rate the ride a 3 or 4 due to the very strong smell in the car, but note that he got you there safely and on time.
Old Apr 8, 2017, 4:51 am

Originally Posted by gobluetwo
If you're actually concerned that it's the DRIVER who has been smoking pot, why would you get in the car and potentially risk a serious incident?

I would've mentioned the smell and if he seemed at all impaired and I felt uncomfortable about riding with him, I would've made up an excuse about a sensitivity or allergy and cancelled the ride. And depending on where I was headed, I may not want to walk in having picked up the smell from the car.

Also, give an honest rating. It was obviously not a 5 since you felt bothered enough by it to complain vent here, but neither was it a 1. Rate the ride a 3 or 4 due to the very strong smell in the car, but note that he got you there safely and on time.
Given I noticed the smell shortly after we entered the freeway and it was at speed with the driver window down that the smell occurred I'm not sure asking to get out of the car and cancel log the trip was really possible. Maybe you would like to be dropped off on the side of the freeway but not me.

plus he missed the exit. Could have been a simple mistake. A low rating ride it definitely was.

Not to mention the DRIVER is the one that accused me of having a controlled substance. Ut was not u till my response back to Uber telling me my account was under review that I made it known the driver was likely the one.
Old Apr 10, 2017, 2:20 pm

Programs: UA Pt, Marriott Ti, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Mentat22
Given I noticed the smell shortly after we entered the freeway and it was at speed with the driver window down that the smell occurred I'm not sure asking to get out of the car and cancel log the trip was really possible. Maybe you would like to be dropped off on the side of the freeway but not me.

plus he missed the exit. Could have been a simple mistake. A low rating ride it definitely was.

Not to mention the DRIVER is the one that accused me of having a controlled substance. Ut was not u till my response back to Uber telling me my account was under review that I made it known the driver was likely the one.
I was actually responding to the OP who noticed the smell immediately upon opening the door.

Sorry about your situation. Definitely some room for improvement in terms of how these situations are handled.
Old Apr 10, 2017, 2:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Originally Posted by gobluetwo

It is easy to second guess which is a favorite pastime here on FT.

However after walking 15 min. though freezing temps at night just to find the vehicle, I made the command decision to take the ride rather than cancel. I had to balance the risk with potentially waiting another 15-30m during the post-game surge (in unfamiliar surroundings with a child). Walking was not an option. The driver did not appear to be impaired, and in fact we had a nice discussion about the NBA.

As for the rating, this is not yelp where I often arrive at a composite rating of several factors (i.e. 5 for food, 1 for service, etc.). MJ smoke is an automatic fail, similar to ignoring my instructions to take a specific route).

Originally Posted by Mentat22
Exactly. Abandoning the ride is not always an option. Depends on where you are and your snap assessment of the driver's sanity. And given the driver is parked in front of you, what is to stop Uber from re-assigning the car when you put in your new request?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.