Can drivers cross country borders intra Schengen

Old Apr 7, 16, 12:44 pm
Original Poster

Can drivers cross country borders intra Schengen

I'm attending a concert in Gelsenkirchen and I'm staying in Amsterdam. I'm afraid the concert ends after the last train between Oberhausen (the transit city) and Amsterdam. I'm wondering in case we miss the train is it possible to get an uber or any car service from Gelsenkirchen and cross into Netherlands or would I have to take a new car from the Dutch border (even though both countries are Schengen). Thanks.
Old Apr 7, 16, 2:06 pm

Programs: BA, Hilton, Lufthansa, Skywards, Sofitel, IHG
I've driven across Schengen borders with no border controls at all, except for trucks/lorries. I don't know specifically for Holland/Germany.
Old Apr 7, 16, 2:36 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ElleBeeTee View Post
I've driven across Schengen borders with no border controls at all, except for trucks/lorries. I don't know specifically for Holland/Germany.
I'm aware that there aren't any border controls between Schengen states (including the Dutch German border) but I'm wondering if an uber Driver or any car service would agree to drive me from Germany to Amsterdam.
Old Apr 8, 16, 12:39 pm

Programs: BA, Hilton, Lufthansa, Skywards, Sofitel, IHG
Originally Posted by thenayanz View Post
I'm aware that there aren't any border controls between Schengen states (including the Dutch German border) but I'm wondering if an uber Driver or any car service would agree to drive me from Germany to Amsterdam.
Uber drivers are (surprisingly) reluctant to do more than about 20 miles in my experience. They seem to regard the return journey as wasteful since they will not be earning. Maybe the price structure does favour multiple small trips. There are plenty other car companies that will do this sort of trip, inclding cross-Schengen borders, it does not cause them any probs.

Search this Thread