FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Ride Services, including Uber and Lyft (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ride-services-including-uber-lyft-747/)
-   -   How many of you bail when you see an Uber surcharge? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ride-services-including-uber-lyft/1745939-how-many-you-bail-when-you-see-uber-surcharge.html)

Boraxo Feb 12, 2016 4:24 pm

How many of you bail when you see an Uber surcharge?

My SOP for the surcharge is simply to bail and click on the Lyft app or hail a taxi if that is an option. I see no reason to pay a surcharge unless I am absolutely desperate and need to get somewhere immediately.

Also wondering how many people bail when the assigned driver is minutes away? My over/under is around 5 minutes - anything longer and I hit the "cancel" button and I start walking or hail a taxi or lyft. I simply don't have time to wait for some guy who takes a suboptimal route to my pickup, as is often the case. Time is money.

Don't get me wrong - I am a big fan of Uber but I'm not about to get jacked when there is a lower cost option or one that gets me to my destination faster.

CMK10 Feb 12, 2016 8:40 pm

What do you mean by "surcharge"? Do you mean Surge Pricing or like an airport pick up surcharge?

Visconti Feb 13, 2016 10:33 am

When I notice surge, I just close the app and find another option. Say, with Lyft.

As to Airport surcharges, I assume it's part of the deal and still makes it more cost effective than a Tax, if only because one is spared the gratuity.

Often1 Feb 13, 2016 11:10 am

Surcharges don't bother me because they typically are roughly the same for taxis, e.g. airports and the like. While I wish they didn't exist, if I pay one to a taxi, why not to an Uber driver?

Surge pricing is dependent on the amount. Given the recent UberX price cuts, I can still do with a 30-40% surge price and be just about even with a taxi in many large cities. The surges also do drive away some other users and draw drivers out, so I can still find a car in the standard downtown 2-3 minutes (barring traffic messes).

Boraxo Feb 13, 2016 11:13 am

Originally Posted by CMK10 (Post 26176797)
What do you mean by "surcharge"? Do you mean Surge Pricing or like an airport pick up surcharge?

Yes "surge"

And the ones I see are typically 2x higher or more. So well above taxi prices.

CMK10 Feb 13, 2016 7:43 pm

If it's 1.6x-1.9x I don't care much, especially if I'm somewhere like my hometown of Durham where it's not easy to find cabs and the ones that do show up are pretty awful. As offensive as a surge may be, I'll typically pay a little extra for convenience.

Visconti Feb 14, 2016 8:00 am

Originally Posted by CMK10 (Post 26181379)
As offensive as a surge may be, I'll typically pay a little extra for convenience.

It really does depend on where one is using the service.

For instance, I hail most of mine in either SF and NY, and have noticed two things: (1) increase in driver initiated cancellations before surge pricing (assuming they'd like the higher rate); and, (2) a sudden influx of out-of-town drivers unfamiliar to the area hoping to capitalize.

There are many areas in SF and NY where a GPS simply would not suffice uncovering the most efficient route. For the same price, nothing compares to the efficiency of the NY cab driver. These guys know the most efficient route every time, when there's traffic, and have street driving skills without peer. For the same price, there is NO way I'd choose Uber/Lyft over a professional NY cabbie.

For me, when there's any kind of surging in ride-share, I'd opt for the traditional taxi, if available.

Dunbar Feb 14, 2016 3:54 pm

I always check both Lyft and Uber if one is surging. If both are surging, and my departure time is flexible, I'll keep checking until the surge goes away. Once you get to about 2.5-3X it's cheaper to take a taxi. I downloaded the Flywheel app, which basically allows you to hail a taxi on your phone, but I haven't used it yet. Another option is to check UberXL (or the next higher service up in your area) and see if it's surging. If it's not surging it may be cheaper to use the XL or Select (or Lyft Plus).

hawkxp Feb 15, 2016 7:39 pm

Ubered today with a 1.4 surge. Seems like it cost me an additional $2. Equal to the amount I always drop on the front seat to help driver with fuel. :cool:

Big4Flyer Feb 15, 2016 8:03 pm

If I'm traveling for work or expensing it, I have 0 price sensitivity. Otherwise, I'll start looking at alternatives.

Jimgotkp Feb 15, 2016 8:19 pm

If I'm by myself, I see other options such as Lyft as well. However, if I'm with my dad (mobility issues) then I just go for it if it's under 1.5x.

cestmoi123 Feb 16, 2016 4:08 pm

Originally Posted by Visconti (Post 26183214)
For the same price, nothing compares to the efficiency of the NY cab driver. These guys know the most efficient route every time, when there's traffic, and have street driving skills without peer. For the same price, there is NO way I'd choose Uber/Lyft over a professional NY cabbie.

In my experience (in NYC), there's very little difference between Uber and yellow cab drivers in terms of expertise/route finding/driving skill. Certainly not enough to justify the discomfort of a yellow cab.

themicah Feb 19, 2016 2:10 pm

Originally Posted by cestmoi123 (Post 26195773)
In my experience (in NYC), there's very little difference between Uber and yellow cab drivers in terms of expertise/route finding/driving skill. Certainly not enough to justify the discomfort of a yellow cab.

I was going to say essentially the same thing. I don't find the idiot quotient to be any higher with Uber/Lyft/Gett than with yellow taxis. I've had yellow cab drivers over the year who didn't know where the FDR was. And at least with Uber/Lyft/Gett you know for sure that they HAVE a GPS.

That said, I have noticed a phenomenon of zombie Uber/Lyft/Gett drivers who don't pay any attention to where they're actually going and either miss turns or slavishly follow their GPS's into making bad turns even when it's obvious the GPS is leading them the wrong way.