Uber - 3 hour rental?

Old Dec 15, 15, 9:17 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AAdvantage, DL Skymiles, United MP
Uber - 3 hour rental?

What's the likelihood of me being able to find a driver who would be willing to take me 3 hours home? Any tips on how to ask in advance, to avoid having to hunt for one on the day of travel?

(for reference, I would be in the San Francisco/bay area, going home east of Sacramento)

Thanks for any input!
Old Dec 15, 15, 11:54 pm

Originally Posted by MrAndy1369 View Post
What's the likelihood of me being able to find a driver who would be willing to take me 3 hours home? Any tips on how to ask in advance, to avoid having to hunt for one on the day of travel?

(for reference, I would be in the San Francisco/bay area, going home east of Sacramento)

Thanks for any input!
I see you also posted about a one-way car rental. This is a problem where you can save money or time, but not both.

Personally, I can't imagine any Uber driver wanting to do this. However, you could get the Capitol Corridor to Sacto, then get an Uber from there, probably. (That's the "save money" option.)

There's also these guys (and maybe others, I didn't do an exhaustive search), who will drive you right home (probably--if they go all the way to Reno, I bet they will go to whatever town you need), but it's pricy.
Old Dec 16, 15, 10:45 am
Original Poster

Programs: AAdvantage, DL Skymiles, United MP
Originally Posted by fwoomp View Post
I see you also posted about a one-way car rental. This is a problem where you can save money or time, but not both.

Personally, I can't imagine any Uber driver wanting to do this. However, you could get the Capitol Corridor to Sacto, then get an Uber from there, probably. (That's the "save money" option.)

There's also these guys (and maybe others, I didn't do an exhaustive search), who will drive you right home (probably--if they go all the way to Reno, I bet they will go to whatever town you need), but it's pricy.
Thanks for that response! $260 isn't too bad, and my current car rental is $230, then adding gas would come close to $260. It's nice to know I have a backup plan! The Uber estimate via the app was $190-250.
Old Dec 16, 15, 11:50 am

The transit option is cheaper, still, but takes longer. You can get as far as Auburn on the Capitol Corridor. Costs are:
BART from SFO to Oakland Coliseum/Airport station: $15.40
Note: there are other connections in nicer places (Jack London Square, Berkeley, etc.), but this looks like the easiest connection to the train

Capitol Corridor train from Oakland Coliseum/Airport to Auburn (Sacto to Auburn is a bus ride--the Amtrak buses, in my experience, are OK): $35

UberX from Auburn to final destination (yeah, I could figure it out): $27-36

Grand total: $86.40

Auburn's close enough you might be able to get someone to come and get you, too.
Old Dec 16, 15, 12:01 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
You can't reserve an Uber in advance. That's the whole concept of ride-sharing. So no way of knowing whether the guy who turns up will be thrilled to take on the job or not. Consider sweetening the pot with some cash, but maybe that makes the one-way rental make more sense.

Personally, I'd do the OW rental. It's just got fewer moving parts.
Old Dec 16, 15, 2:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/1MM, DL PM, UA Plat, HH DIA, Hyatt Discoverist, IHG Spire/AMB, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
I asked a driver in Durham what his longest rental was. He apparently drove someone to Wilmington (2.5 hours away) then drove them and someone else back. You might find someone willing to drive to Sacramento, especially if you sweeten the deal with a tip.
Old Dec 16, 15, 7:40 pm

Programs: Airline Free Agent, Bonvoy Titanium
Not a 3 hour rental but had a Lyft driver for almost 2 hours after driving to six different locations. She actually liked it because she didn't have to drive around for a new passenger.
Old Dec 18, 15, 10:15 am

Programs: AS,UA
What about taking something like Megabus, those are really cheap
Old Dec 19, 15, 7:07 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold, Delta Platinum Medallion, AAdvantage Platinum Pro
I've had plenty of drivers say they have taken passengers up to 4 hours away for trips. It's often better money for them, even with the empty miles coming back, because Uber drivers are paid very little for travel time, and much more per mile.

So you may order, and have someone decline (so you're out the cancellation fee), but I suspect you will find a willing driver. Question is just how long you'd be willing to wait to find him/her.
Old Dec 19, 15, 7:30 am

Personally, as with many threads, I'm curious how this turned out...

Come back, OP, come back!
Old Dec 19, 15, 10:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/1MM, DL PM, UA Plat, HH DIA, Hyatt Discoverist, IHG Spire/AMB, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Another data point: I rode an Uber yesterday in Concord, NC and the driver told me of a recent fare he took from Charlotte to Florence, SC (3 hours). Fare was $200 and the passenger tipped him $50.
Old Jan 6, 16, 1:08 pm

Tip $20 minimum for such a trip. Also, call the driver as soon as he accepts and say that you're going to Sacramento.
Be willing to split up the trip halfway in between if you can't find someone willing to go far.
Old Mar 21, 16, 11:30 am

Programs: UA MM /Gold ; AS MVP Gold; SWA A LIst + Companion pass; HH Gold; Bonvoy Titanium; IHG Plat Elite
Most recent uber driver says he prefers longer rides

Having taken Uber several times from home to downtown SF (and back) - anywhere from a 1-2 hr ride (depending on traffic) my most recent Uber driver said that they can set their app to only take rides that go in a particular direction.

So in my case, he headed up north for 2 hrs (7am morning peak hour rush). He said his next ride was a surge pricing and went to SFO (that's south of downtown SF for those that aren't familiar with NorCal geography). Then 2 more rides that eventually took him close to his starting point.

Got the above info by "pre-booking" him (pre-arranged for him to pick me up again at 7am the next morning). We had a nice chat on the way up to the city the next day as I was curious as to how the "direction setting" was working for him.

He also said that he makes more $$ by moving so a longer ride is always preferable to sitting and waiting for the next fare.

That being said I always call the driver as soon as they accept the ride to ask if they want to drive 2 hrs in peak traffic to the city. I always offer to cancel if they don't want to go out of their comfort zone. I do the same when I leave SF - ask if they want to drive over an hour south outside of SF. I've never been asked to cancel yet.

Last edited by lainys; Mar 23, 16 at 7:56 am

Search this Thread