Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > Ride Services, including Uber and Lyft
Reload this Page >

First experience of The Surge, and Manchester Alternative to Uber...

Old Dec 10, 2015, 9:48 am
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton Gold, Priority Club Blue, SPG Gold, Sofitel Gold, FB Ivory, BA Blue

I'd forgotten how hard it can be to get a taxi, on a rainy mid-week morning, here in Manchester. Today I saw surge pricing for the first time, and I have to say its impressive. The surge factor changes dynamically, presumably to an algorithm they've developed. Over half an hour, I saw the factor vary between 2 and 2.8. Did I pay? Nope - I'm never that desperate to get the office so, as the people I work for a fairly decent, a quick email will do.

What I did do was try an Uber alternative. KabX works in a number of cities, including Manchester, and provides a similar (if not as slick) app. I've used it for cash trips, in the past, and it usually works quite well. Today it was raining, and I was short on cash, so I entered my credit card number for the first time. The result?

- An overall Uber-like experience, complete with the driver's progress on a map (including the bit where the app tried to get him to drive into the Manchester Ship Canal - he declined).
- But the journey seems to have been charged to my card in advance.
- By asking for a quote in advance, I got a price very comparable to Uber sans surge.
- Still had to wait though (the app quoted me 6-8 minutes, but it was 20 before the app reported the driver had been dispatched).
- But I needed to bring along a couple of pound coins, for a tip to the driver (I do like it that Uber lets you include a tip).
- Edit: With KabX you don't get to rate the driver, at the end of the trip.

Last edited by Internaut; Dec 10, 2015 at 9:57 am
Old Aug 12, 2017, 4:16 pm

Programs: Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Radisson Rewards Gold, Best Western Diamond Select
Interesting I may try this from Birmingham to Manchester airport, is there a fare estimator?
Old Sep 13, 2017, 10:52 pm

Programs: Uber, Lyft, Skymiles, Thanksagain, Hertz Gold Presidents Club
Originally Posted by Internaut
I'd forgotten how hard it can be to get a taxi, on a rainy mid-week morning, here in Manchester. Today I saw surge pricing for the first time, and I have to say its impressive. The surge factor changes dynamically, presumably to an algorithm they've developed. Over half an hour, I saw the factor vary between 2 and 2.8. Did I pay? Nope - I'm never that desperate to get the office so, as the people I work for a fairly decent, a quick email will do.

What I did do was try an Uber alternative. KabX works in a number of cities, including Manchester, and provides a similar (if not as slick) app. I've used it for cash trips, in the past, and it usually works quite well. Today it was raining, and I was short on cash, so I entered my credit card number for the first time. The result?

- An overall Uber-like experience, complete with the driver's progress on a map (including the bit where the app tried to get him to drive into the Manchester Ship Canal - he declined).
- But the journey seems to have been charged to my card in advance.
- By asking for a quote in advance, I got a price very comparable to Uber sans surge.
- Still had to wait though (the app quoted me 6-8 minutes, but it was 20 before the app reported the driver had been dispatched).
- But I needed to bring along a couple of pound coins, for a tip to the driver (I do like it that Uber lets you include a tip).
- Edit: With KabX you don't get to rate the driver, at the end of the trip.
Just a quick bit on the 20 min wait...
Most drivers (unless leasing a car from _____ hire car company) use many or even all available car hail apps.
Activate all apps, accept the first trip request, turn all other apps off.

If Uber is surging in say Manchester you had best believe every Uber driver is looking and ignoring KabX or anything else that is comparable.

So since the 6-8 min away drivers are looking for Uber money your requet keep floating farther away until someone accepts it.

I salute you sir for not canceling on a poor driver willing to accept a 20 ETA and I salute you once more for tipping him/her.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.