Do you 'HUCA' when you get a low-rated driver?

Old Nov 24, 15, 7:07 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Gold, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, National Executive Elite
Do you 'HUCA' when you get a low-rated driver?

Today I was matched with a 3.8-starred driver on Uber. I immediately "hung up and called again" -- cancelled and requested a new driver, which turned out to be the same guy!

So I HUCA'd a second time... and got the same moron a third time!

Drivers must manually accept requests. My guess is this guy understood I didn't want him; he repeatedly accepted my requests because he wanted to keep up his "acceptance rate," a metric on which Uber may deactivate drivers.

After my third time cancelling on the guy, he sent me this canned text, which I suspect may be contributing to his poor rating:
Old Nov 24, 15, 7:41 pm

Programs: IHG Plat, HH D, UA GS, Perm BonVoyed
Wow. I have yet to HUCA an Uber.
Old Nov 24, 15, 7:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: SBUX Gold
Sometimes you just have to take the one you don't want, like it's busy or you're in a remote area. But yes, I do HUCA because they have a low rating for a reason (unless they are a brand new driver with bad first impressions).

You didn't tell us how the ride was.
Old Nov 24, 15, 7:46 pm

I have some friends who drive for uber and they cancel on low rated riders all the time. Most won't accept below a 4.4, especially at night time.
Old Nov 25, 15, 3:01 am

Programs: DL GM, UA, B6, AA, WN, AS, AGR
I only did it once. The driver had a 1.8 rating. I contacted Uber, and they said that the driver is new, and within a grace period, so he was allowed to drive with such a rating. I wasn't going to take any chances.
Old Nov 25, 15, 8:51 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Gold, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, National Executive Elite
IceTrojan, I did not end up riding with this 3.8★.

diburning, I once accepted a 2★ driver when I needed a ride from the SEA airport lightrail. The driver spoke little English, pulled up in a beater minivan, drove 20 under the speed limit, slammed on his brakes at every red light, and missed every other turn.
Old Nov 26, 15, 8:45 am

Originally Posted by davie355 View Post

Drivers must manually accept requests. ..
Yep, drivers do have to manually accept. In fact, it used to be that drivers can generally see how many are looking at the app before a request comes in. They do not see details of the riders, just locations, etc. It is the same way with riders. They can see that drivers are in the area, just no specific details.

Depending on where you place your pin or pickup, the closest driver is supposed to get the ping once u submit a request. It doesn't always work this way though, as the UBER computers factor in other details when routing requests.

If it happens again, try moving your pin a bit, but sending a text to your driver with the address of your actual location. And by moving your pin, I don't mean to put the pin downtown if you are in the 'burbs. lol Just a bit off and you should be fine (sometimes).
Old Nov 27, 15, 12:54 am

Programs: UA 1k, AA EXPLT, NZ GE, VA PLT Hyatt Diam, SPG GLD, HH Diam
During a London Tube strike earlier in the year I got stuck with a 2 star driver -- most dangerous ride I've ever experienced -- never again! The guy shouldn't have been on the roads.
Old Feb 1, 16, 4:06 pm

Programs: AA/DL/MR/National/MGM/Amex
A couple of years ago my wife and I used 2* ubers (plural) in Houston. Uber was relatively new in Houston and they were clearly taking anyone who would sign up. None of the drivers we saw in our few days there had a rating we would have used in LA, but we had no other option. It wasn't bad but not what we are used to.

A few weeks ago we used a 2* uber here in LA, but it was the drivers second day on the job. We figured we'd give him a shot. After spending 20 minutes learning about his narc-anon schedule, being saturated with smoke smell, and nearly being hit by other cars at least twice, we will never make that mistake again. HUCA it is.
Old Feb 2, 16, 6:59 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold, Delta Platinum Medallion, AAdvantage Platinum Pro
My minimum rating is a 4.7. I have found that any driver with a 4.6 or below has cause for that rating.

Either their vehicle smells of smoke, they do not properly follow GPS etc.

This system has not failed me yet.

Why accept a poorly rated driver if you are not in a rush?
Old Jan 10, 17, 4:58 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

I should have read this thread prior to being picked up today by a 4.4 rating driver. His car reeked of cigarette smoke. I mentioned something and he pulled out a can of vile smelling air freshener spray. I would have jumped out had it not been raining and I was eager to get home. He changed lanes dangerously, held his cell GPS in his left hand , which he continued to look at throughout the trip and when I asked him to slow down as he was speeding, He said "no speak english." He swerved hard to avoid hitting another vehicle. I considered having him pull in to a nearby fire station and calling for another ride from there. This was an Uber Select, Infititi Q. I never use Uber X as I find the Select drivers to be more professional.
Gave driver 1 star and described problem using "help" menu. Within a few minutes they notified me I was receiving a full refund and they were reviewing the driver's record.
Old Jan 11, 17, 3:41 pm

Programs: DL GM, UA, B6, AA, WN, AS, AGR
I've noticed that Uber will still match me with drivers that I've given 2 stars to. Apparently I can't be generous, and must give a driver 1 star or else I have a chance of being matched with that driver again.
Old Jun 17, 17, 1:21 pm

Programs: Southwest Rapid Rewards; AAdvantage; Alaska Mileage Plan; Wyndham Rewards; Choice Hotels
I've never done HUCA because of a rating but I have done HUCA due to surge pricing.
Old Jun 17, 17, 2:02 pm

Programs: AA, DL, Avis, Enterprise, National, IHG, HH, SPG/MR
I've never been matched to a driver with a low enough rating for me to cancel and try again... My threshold would probably be 4.5 but I can't recall ever being matched to a driver with a rating that low.

I have had a few drivers that did not deserve the rating they had, and was happy to help correct that record.
Old Jun 19, 17, 1:07 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold, Delta Platinum Medallion, AAdvantage Platinum Pro
Originally Posted by Loose Cannon View Post
I've never done HUCA because of a rating but I have done HUCA due to surge pricing.

Repeatedly ordering rides in a specific area only serves to drive up surge.

Search this Thread