FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Ride Services, including Uber and Lyft (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ride-services-including-uber-lyft-747/)
-   -   Uber for newbies? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ride-services-including-uber-lyft/1719346-uber-newbies.html)

standard Oct 25, 2015 1:30 pm

Uber for newbies?

Originally Posted by Annalisa12 (Post 24857617)
I'm technologically stupid and too scared to use Uber.

Anybody here to help an Uber newbie?

I am stupid and scared, too.

Is the only way to use Uber with a smartphone app?

In U.S. cities, are some better than others? How about San Francisco vs. New York (Manhattan or the airports) vs. New Orleans vs. other cities?

IceTrojan Oct 25, 2015 5:56 pm

Yes, Uber is mobile app only. That's the whole point... a mobile-based cashless transaction.

You could install the app onto a tablet, but you need a mobile phone number.

Def some cities are better than others in terms of coverage and ability. SF (being their home city) is usually great, won't wait longer than 5 minutes for a car.

Had a 7 minute wait in Boston today in the suburbs.

Do you fear taxis as much as Uber?

Hope that helps.

PAX62 Nov 1, 2015 10:26 pm

Download the app...easy and free:

Uber 101:

Uber X=random dude in personal car...cheapest fare
Uber XL= same as X with a larger vehicle that can accommodate 4 adults
Uber Plus=Nicer towncar type service but still a personally owned car and driver
Uber Black=Towncar or better by a limo type driver
Uber SUV=Uber Black service but a larger SUV like a Suburban

Schutzee Nov 2, 2015 1:40 pm

You will both get $15 credit if a current user sends you an invite. I used Uber last month as a newbie in Paris and London and was very pleased.

IceTrojan Nov 2, 2015 3:31 pm

Originally Posted by PAX62 (Post 25649209)
Download the app...easy and free:

Uber 101:

Uber X=random dude in personal car...cheapest fare

Actually, UberPOOL is the cheapest fare.

jobtraklite Jan 1, 2016 11:38 am

Since the thread title is Uber for newbies, can someone point me to a users' guide? I mean how do I request a ride (with a Windows phone)? After signing in, I get a map with my location pinpointed and a menu icon at the lower right. None of the menu options are "request a ride". What do I do triple tap the pin while picking my right nostril and whistling Dixie?

I know it is bad form to design a user friendly interface these days. Uber's help is useless.

davie355 Jan 1, 2016 10:20 pm

When you sign in your screen should look like this.

http://i.imgur.com/WEDZgd9.jpg

If it doesn't, either Uber has no service in your area, or there's a technical glitch, at which point you may consider using http://m.uber.com from a web browser instead.

Jaimito Cartero Jan 1, 2016 10:30 pm

I used Uber extensively in Bali last month, and really enjoyed it. 1/4 of the price of the ripoff taxi from the airport.

I've only used it a couple of times in the US, as I rarely have a cellphone there.

IceTrojan Jan 2, 2016 3:30 am

Originally Posted by jobtraklite (Post 25945929)
Since the thread title is Uber for newbies, can someone point me to a users' guide? I mean how do I request a ride (with a Windows phone)? After signing in, I get a map with my location pinpointed and a menu icon at the lower right. None of the menu options are "request a ride". What do I do triple tap the pin while picking my right nostril and whistling Dixie?

I know it is bad form to design a user friendly interface these days. Uber's help is useless.

You can set your pickup location using one of 3 ways:
  • Tap on the white address bar at the top of the map and manually enter in your address (most accurate, but only good if you know your address)
  • Tap on the arrow at the bottom right of the map to use your GPS location (which may or may not be accurate, sometimes putting you on the wrong side of the street, block, or side of the building, but good when you don't know where you are)
  • Drag the map so the pin is place where you want it to be (terribly inaccurate unless you zoom in)

Once your pickup location is set, drag the slide selector at the bottom to the service you want (e.g., UberX (cheap), UberBLACK (black car), etc.)

Once that's set, it's 2 taps to request the ride:
  • Tap on the right arrow in the black "Set Pickup Location" bar
  • At the bottom of the next screen, tap the black "Request Uber" button

Dieuwer Jan 2, 2016 3:36 am

I used it for the first time in Cape Town and it worked like a charm. Much better and cheaper than regular taxi service.

jobtraklite Jan 2, 2016 3:51 pm

Thank you davie355. That explains it since I doubt there is UBER service in my small west central Illinois city. I was hoping to familiarize myself with the app before stepping off the train in Florida after a 3 day ride.

My screen.
http://biketrain.net//WindowsPhoneUber.png

I'll see what it looks like while I'm waiting for connecting trains in Chicago and DC.

Thank you IceTrojan. I will save your instructions for the real thing.

Finkface Jan 2, 2016 4:00 pm

Does it tell you the cost of the trip before you confirm the pick up? And do you tip? I've never used it either but just downloaded the app to use soon. I don't want to keep clicking through in case I reach the point of no return.

iamflyer Jan 2, 2016 7:00 pm

Originally Posted by Finkface (Post 25950901)
Does it tell you the cost of the trip before you confirm the pick up? And do you tip? I've never used it either but just downloaded the app to use soon. I don't want to keep clicking through in case I reach the point of no return.

It will tell you current rates and allow you to get a fare quote but the actual fare is based on miles and minutes.

Finkface Jan 2, 2016 7:33 pm

Originally Posted by iamflyer (Post 25951572)
It will tell you current rates and allow you to get a fare quote but the actual fare is based on miles and minutes.

Do you tip as you would a taxi driver in places where a tip is customary and/or expected, like in the US? Or is it truly a cashless system?

Finkface Jan 2, 2016 9:26 pm

Originally Posted by Finkface (Post 25951689)
Do you tip as you would a taxi driver in places where a tip is customary and/or expected, like in the US? Or is it truly a cashless system?

And I should say that I did read the Uber website and it says no tip is necessary (other than the taxi sefvice where it is automatically added) but then it says later that tips are appreciated. So which is it? The prices seem steep already pre-trip from the estimates I've done but I don't want to look like a schmuck if one is supposed to tip.