Using Uber and other services to/from luxury hotels

Search this Thread

Old Aug 26, 2015, 6:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Using Uber and other services to/from luxury hotels

Originally Posted by MacMyDay
I would take this view as well. My answer to this has changed a lot in recent years, as initially I would have said it was absolutely easier and better to use the hotels service, but some of the costs are so high that it doesn't offer value for money. On top of this, a lot of airlines now offer complimentary chauffeur service to/from the airport in J and F. My first point of call would be to contact the hotel, yet if the fee is insane I'll look elsewhere.
Uber Black has definitely changed the equation. I won't always take the hotel car and will price shop as well. The best hotels will welcome you regardless and not discriminate that you came there in an Uber.
Old Aug 26, 2015, 8:15 am

Originally Posted by Aventine
Uber Black has definitely changed the equation. I won't always take the hotel car and will price shop as well. The best hotels will welcome you regardless and not discriminate that you came there in an Uber.
Am I the only person who has never used Uber? I guess I should try it given how many people seem to be pleased with it. I tend to use hotel cars, taxis, and regular limo services (sometimes through Amex or Mastercard for reservations). And in many cities, I like public transportation when practical.
Old Aug 26, 2015, 8:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MikeFromTokyo
Am I the only person who has never used Uber? I guess I should try it given how many people seem to be pleased with it. I tend to use hotel cars, taxis, and regular limo services (sometimes through Amex or Mastercard for reservations). And in many cities, I like public transportation when practical.
I'm really surprised MikefromTokyo! Uber Black would seem to match your lifestyle, travel destinations and disconcerting tastes. Better than most taxis in most cities and perhaps cheaper than a hired limo service. Definitely cheaper than hotel car too.

I just don't use Uber Black from BKK because of the time we get in and then chancing there will be one around. Also, the fact that Uber Black there can be normal Camrys or CR-Vs.
Old Aug 26, 2015, 8:34 am

I only started using it this year, but since then we've not once used a black taxi in London. For what it's worth, we do still use the Underground a lot, as it's a lot easier to get to many places than via road, but in new cities after landing at an airport I don't feel comfortable doing that. My awareness of where I am is terrible at the best of times. With Uber Lux you're getting Mercedes S class vehicles or similar, which is exactly what the hotels would be sending you anyway. I'd strongly recommend you give it a go. I see it as a taxi service, but one that guarantees you a good service, due to being able to rate the driver and the strict rules Uber has in place to ensure their ratings stay high, i.e. if you're not above a 4.X (I can't remember the exact number) then you need to do training and if it doesn't improve you can't work for Uber anymore. This rating system then almost guarantees a decent, well kept car, with polite drivers who take the quickest route to get you to where you need to be. Every Uber Lux I've ever taken has refreshments in the car as well and all the drivers are very courteous at helping with luggage. It's so easy to complain to Uber to get your money back if something goes wrong that they act as a kind of insurance. And it's all charged directly to your card and invoices are kept electronically, so you don't have to keep a seemingly endless supply of receipts on you at all times for work.
Old Aug 27, 2015, 12:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Am I the only person who has never used Uber?
No, count me too
Old Aug 27, 2015, 3:48 am

Uber is great especially when you are traveling! No need to figure out how to find a local taxi, no need to worry about local currency and change, no need to worry about them taking the "scenic route", .... Have used it in Sydney, NYC, Orlando, HK and am happy with it. Sometimes, it is more like someone's car rather than a limo but I have had nothing but good experience so far! Only issue is the price can go up dramatically during rush hour
Old Aug 27, 2015, 5:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by HKTraveler
Uber is great especially when you are traveling! No need to figure out how to find a local taxi, no need to worry about local currency and change, no need to worry about them taking the "scenic route", .... Have used it in Sydney, NYC, Orlando, HK and am happy with it. Sometimes, it is more like someone's car rather than a limo but I have had nothing but good experience so far! Only issue is the price can go up dramatically during rush hour
I've heard in Shanghai, someone's Uber car can be a Lambo or Ferrari haha ^. Never gotten something exotic like that. Only an older 7 series, S-class, and Equui (in Korea).
Old Aug 27, 2015, 5:54 am
DSI
formerly declinespecificinformatiom

Does Uber go to Nihiwatu?
Old Aug 27, 2015, 7:57 pm

Programs: QF CL
I think it depends on the city. I never use Uber X anywhere. I wouldn't bother with Uber in Hong Kong or Tokyo (in fact I don't even know whether it operates there...) but it's handy in Singapore where taxis never seem to be around when you need them. I use it all the time in Sydney and Melbourne, and have also used it in NYC. I wouldn't use it as an airport transfer on arrival because of the potential wait time. I book a car instead.
Old Aug 27, 2015, 10:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
uber etc includes car service and taxis. i would have zero problem using for that.
i will never use uberX/etc, where literally anyone can sign up and work as driver.
see uber ads on flyertalk/elsewhere - 'become uber driver and make money now!'
UberX is okay to me. There's always a danger element in taxis, tuk-tuks and the whole lot. I've had nothing but positive experiences from X in Seoul and Bangkok. Clean and decent cars and better than the city taxis. use it for short trips and wouldn't use it for an airport transfer though. The cars can be too tiny in certain cities.

Last edited by Aventine; Aug 27, 2015 at 11:49 pm
Old Aug 28, 2015, 8:12 am
formerly gohima

moved

Last edited by LAXJetter; Jan 18, 2016 at 2:40 pm
Old Aug 28, 2015, 8:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

moved

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Aug 29, 2015 at 2:59 pm
Old Aug 28, 2015, 8:55 am
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
Great find! Fascinating. I've had great experiences with Blacklane, but had no idea that they used this model.

Here’s how it works: when you book a ride from Fort Greene to Newark International Airport with Blacklane, the fare is always $90.90, no matter if it’s a sunny Tuesday afternoon or rainy Thanksgiving Eve. After you book, Blacklane sends out an offer to its drivers to buy that ride for $30. (The company refuses to release hard numbers, calling its algorithm its “secret sauce.”) If no one wants the ride at $30 after a few minutes, the price bumps up to $35 and so on, until a driver buys the fare.

When demand outstrips supply – like during a snowstorm or a heavy travel weekend – and the sale price exceeds the fare, Blacklane takes the hit.
Old Aug 28, 2015, 9:52 am
Suspended

Never even heard of Blacklane. Very interesting!
Old Aug 28, 2015, 12:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

I would take Blacklane if it came to Korea! Sounds better than Uber.

Last edited by Aventine; Aug 28, 2015 at 8:28 pm Reason: spelling

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.