Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UBER around the world

Search this Thread

Old Jul 1, 2015, 2:17 pm

Programs: UA MM/Gold
Singapore - I use UberX exclusively there now when on business trips. There is surge pricing during morning commute hours, but I just keep refreshing the app, and usually within 15 minutes the normal rate comes up. Great for when it's raining and taxis aren't around too.
Old Jul 2, 2015, 11:04 am

Programs: UA, TK, Starwood > Marriott, Hilton, Accor
Istanbul - 1x UberBlack, very smooth experience with professional driver and top-notch clean car. 1x UberXL, bit of a mess with pick-up in an office park, given that driver did not speak a word of English. Fine afterwards.

Would have used UberX but no cars were ever nearby.

What I liked most is that Uber allows me to use my credit card and not cash like all regular cabs in the city. Plus, I get a receipt that shows me if the driver has taken a direct route or given me the "scenic ride".
Old Jul 3, 2015, 5:21 pm

Programs: UA Premier 1K, AC SE, Delta Platinum Medallion, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by airoli
What I liked most is that Uber allows me to use my credit card and not cash like all regular cabs in the city. Plus, I get a receipt that shows me if the driver has taken a direct route or given me the "scenic ride".
I agree very much with this. Too bad normal taxis didn't have such a feature. Cabs are notorious for taking the "scenic" route going from LAS to the strip.
Old Jul 7, 2015, 4:23 pm
Senior Moderator and Moderator: American AAdvantage & TravelBuzz

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
+1

Not having to ask the standard questions to a taxicab (do you take credit cards? what about American Express? can you print a receipt? etc etc), often in a language I don't speak, saves a bunch of time. Having an email receipt with the exact route taken also is a huge plus.

The only issue I run into every once in a while is that I don't have cell service in non-US countries, so I have to rely on wifi. Every once in a while, the GPS is a bit wonky and my driver has a hard time finding me, as he/she can't text me or give me a call. But normally the drivers are pretty smart and intuit that the pickup is likely at a nearby hotel and not in the middle of the street.
Old Jul 8, 2015, 6:53 am

Programs: UA, TK, Starwood > Marriott, Hilton, Accor
Originally Posted by JY1024
...and my driver has a hard time finding me, as he/she can't text me or give me a call.
I hear you, although to my surprise both in LON and IST, drivers called my overseas cell phone to fine-tune pick-up location.
Old Jul 9, 2015, 9:25 pm
Original Poster
Marriott Contributor BadgeAccor 10+ Badge

Programs: TK Elite, ALL Plus Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Hertz PC
Just came back from Vietnam where I was surprised that they had UBER. Split into UberX and Black. Uber X mainly tiny hatchbacks such as Kia Picanto. Black are Camry / Fortuner / high end Innova.

The UberBlack were often cheaper than taxis! Good experiences on all rides.
Old Jul 10, 2015, 6:20 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, UA Silver, Hilton Gold, Hertz Pres Circle
UberX in Warsaw, can't beat $6 from city center to airport. Little bit of a language barrier but not too bad.

Uber carpool in Paris... 20 Euros from the left bank to CDG at 6am was awesome. Picked up one other rider en route. Had a good chat with the driver about Uber.

Mexico City - used it about a year and a half ago when it first started, got long hauled and wasn't happy with the response from Customer Service, but it was on my friends account and she didn't pursue it.
Old Jul 10, 2015, 6:29 am

Programs: The Embassy
I hear you, although to my surprise both in LON and IST, drivers called my overseas cell phone to fine-tune pick-up location.
I've asked drivers about this, and was told that the drivers have a local number to ring which VOIPs them, or ring via the app.
Old Jul 16, 2015, 8:48 am

Programs: GA Gold, BA Silver, HH Gold, IHG Gold
Bali - only Black here, using Toyota Avanza and Innova. No surge pricing yet and can pick up from airport.

Jakarta - UberX and Black available. UberX mainly using Toyota Avanza or Nissan Livina, but one time got Toyota Innova. Black using Toyota Innova. Also can pick up from airport, their pricing is cheaper than normal taxi.
Old Jul 17, 2015, 8:14 am
Senior Moderator and Moderator: American AAdvantage & TravelBuzz

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
Dublin - choice of uberX or black car.

All uberX cars are taxis, so you'll find plenty around Dublin city at all hours of the day/night. Fare is simply a 10% discount off the metered fare, and you get charged in euros to your uber account.
Old Jul 31, 2015, 12:25 pm

Programs: Centurion, Lan Platinum, ANA Mileage Club, HHonors D, SPG G
Honkers

Hong Kong

Split into 3 categories Uber Black, Uber Van and Uber Taxi

Uber Black you can choose between a sedan or a 7-seater. The Sedan's are usually Mercedes S320's, High end Nissan Full sized sedans or the coveted Tesla.

Uber 7-Seater's are mostly Toyota Alphard's or Nissan Elgrande's. In many ways more comfortable than riding in a Mercedes as Alphard's have throne seating which recline.

Uber Black drivers in HK tend to have bottled water in their cars for your consumption as well.

Uber Vans are pretty much Cargo Van's with one bench of seating. It's cheaper than a taxi and you get more room as well- But the main use for these vans are for transportation of cargo. We still call them because it's cheaper than a taxi in HK. Hyundai H1's , Toyota Hiace and Mercedes Benz Viano's

Uber Taxi is simply a red taxi with a surcharge option (for convenience of flagging down a taxi at a premium)
Old Aug 2, 2015, 4:13 am

Programs: DL DM MM; Hilton Diamond; Hertz 5*
UBER around the world

In Hanoi - used several times and experience was excellent and very inexpensive. Many drivers there do not speak English but the app allowed us to communicate as I entered the location on my phone in English amd he saw the location on his phone in Vietnamese. Excellent.

In Krakow - the cars were a little beat up but the experience was fine.

in Rome - UberBlack was outstanding charging me 10 euros for a trip when the taxis were demanding 35 euros.
Old Aug 2, 2015, 11:28 pm

Programs: AA Gold, UA MM 1K, UK Gold, Marriott Titanium, IHG Plat Amb
Originally Posted by JY1024
+1

The only issue I run into every once in a while is that I don't have cell service in non-US countries, so I have to rely on wifi.
I suggest you get the T-Mobile Simple Choice Plan for $50/month. Gives free data and SMS in 100 countries + free wifi call backs to US + all roaming calls for $0.20/minute.

I can attest to it as I travel extensively and never without data connection!
Old Aug 2, 2015, 11:39 pm

Programs: AA Gold, UA MM 1K, UK Gold, Marriott Titanium, IHG Plat Amb
New Delhi: Uber Go - A small sedan usually Tata Indigo/Suzuki Swift <$3.00 for 9 mile ride
Uber Black - BMW 3 series for $15 for 10 mile ride to airport

Pune: Uber SUV - Toyota Innova - $8.00 for 4 mile ride with 3.2X surge pricing
Uber X - Tata Indica - $3.00 from JW Marriott to Airport (driver was stinky)

Hyderabad - Uber X - Tata Indica - <$2.00 for 6 mile ride from Marriott to city

Singapore - Uber XL - Toyota Wish - S$20 for 13 mile ride to airport
Old Aug 14, 2015, 8:34 am
formerly known as Tad's Broiled Steaks
Shangri-La Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by specialeffects

Singapore - Uber XL - Toyota Wish - S$20 for 13 mile ride to airport
To Bugis or downtown? That's pretty good.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.