Search

UBER around the world

Search this Thread

Old May 26, 2015, 12:27 am
Original Poster
Marriott Contributor BadgeAccor 10+ Badge

Programs: TK Elite, ALL Plus Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Hertz PC
UBER around the world

Many posts here refer to using uber in the US, I thought I'd get the ball started as a tourist/local in other countries.

Bangkok:

Just came back from Bangkok and took about 8 trips on uber there.

Two classes are available:

UberX: In my cases, Merc C Class (1990 model), Ford Fiesta, Toyota Vios/Corolla Honda Jazz

and UberBlack: Toyota Fortuner, Toyota Camry

All trips were fine. Almost ALL drivers rely on the app to take them to their destination. In many cases I found that the UberX drivers were not too GPS savvy. So they didnt use a window holder for the phone but rather placed the phone in the cup holder by the arm rest. So the GPS signal wasnt strong. In one case, the driver showed up and the car was still displayed as being where it was when I booked it.
Surge pricing happens often in downtown bangkok; the max I saw was 1.9x. At that rate you might as well book a UberBlack.

Trip from downtown to Airport is a flat rate of 500THB for uberX and 1000THB for a uberBlack.

Singapore:

Have only used uberX here to the airport as I normally drive (as this is home). Taking a uber from the airport is great as you save yourself the airport surcharge and peak surcharge which may apply.

Cars have been: Honda Civic, Toyota Camry (old), Toyota Axio,

In Singapore uber cars are almost all rented to drivers by uber. Cars are so expensive here that I doubt many could afford just being uber drivers.
Old May 31, 2015, 3:29 pm

Programs: Delta PM, HHonors Gold; SPG Gold
I've used uber several times in Santiago and has experiences very similar to experiences here in the states. Decent cars and competent drivers.
Old May 31, 2015, 6:03 pm

China:

Shanghai - People's Uber (a Buick sedan) - Maglev station to Fudan University's main campus. 55 minute ride at 6pm rush hour: a slow, but never standstill, trek. RMB 48. Driver had glitches with the Uber app on his phone; we had to cancel and restart mid-trip.

Beijing - People's Uber (a Toyota Corolla, I think) - JW Marriott hotel to PEK airport. Driver texted me for my exact location; he said he tried to call but could not reach me. (I had an American cell phone.) Driver refused to go to PEK, and I was charged a cancellation fee (which was waived after I emailed Uber to explain the situation).

Beijing - Uber Black (Audi A6) - JW Marriott hotel to PEK. Driver agreed to go to the airport without hesitation. 41 minute ride at 12:15pm; some early snags in traffic gave way to a breeze to Terminal 3. RMB 151; compare to the RMB 80 taxi fare in reverse (which was in considerably heavier traffic).
Old Jun 4, 2015, 11:12 am

Programs: OZ Diamond/*G, IHG Diamond Amb, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by davie355
China:

Shanghai - People's Uber (a Buick sedan) - Maglev station to Fudan University's main campus. 55 minute ride at 6pm rush hour: a slow, but never standstill, trek. RMB 48. Driver had glitches with the Uber app on his phone; we had to cancel and restart mid-trip.

Beijing - People's Uber (a Toyota Corolla, I think) - JW Marriott hotel to PEK airport. Driver texted me for my exact location; he said he tried to call but could not reach me. (I had an American cell phone.) Driver refused to go to PEK, and I was charged a cancellation fee (which was waived after I emailed Uber to explain the situation).

Beijing - Uber Black (Audi A6) - JW Marriott hotel to PEK. Driver agreed to go to the airport without hesitation. 41 minute ride at 12:15pm; some early snags in traffic gave way to a breeze to Terminal 3. RMB 151; compare to the RMB 80 taxi fare in reverse (which was in considerably heavier traffic).
Shanghai - UberX - Uber driver called me immediately after accepting the ride asking where I was; when I asked why they didn't just look at the app, they said that the app was often wrong and they didn't trust it. The driver insisted that I give them the address instead of using the address that I typed into Uber (it was the same address) and insisted to use Baidu Maps instead of the map on Uber (which was Google Maps, and surprisingly the only place I've seen Google Maps work in mainland China, but I suppose the Chinese government has succeeded in brainwashing its people into believing that Baidu is superior to Map service, and indeed in provides some services useful to Chinese drivers that I don't think should be available such as where police cameras are hidden). Other than that, uneventful ride.

Guangzhou - - People's Uber - Took an Uber from the train station to Crowne Plaza Guangzhou Zengcheng. Ride was about 100 RMB. Got an email the next day that they nearly tripled my fare, stating that my ride actually had a flat rate. I fought this and eventually Uber agreed to refund the additional charge as I had no way of knowing about the flat rate as it wasn't reflected in the fare estimate.

Shenzhen - People's Uber - I called an Uber from my hotel and watched it get to about a block away and stop. It sat there for a couple minutes and cancelled my ride. I requested a second Uber (same driver accepted) and asked the hotel to call them and tell them how to get to the hotel, however, concierge told me a minute later that the driver claimed he did not know how to get to the hotel despite being only a block away. He cancelled the ride again. I was charged 2 cancellation fees, but these were easy to get removed by contacting Uber Support. At this point, a taxi rolled into the hotel so I took it instead.\

Bali - UberBlack - Driver took nearly 30 minutes to get to my hotel but seemed to know where to go and how to get there (was staying at the IC in Bali). Didn't call me or anything when he arrived but I assumed he had arrived because the car didn't move. When I came downstairs, he was chatting with someone from concierge. I asked him to take me to Uluwatu Temple, and he offered to wait for me there at the Uber rate of 36000 IDR per hour and take me back. He said he was operating on one of the Uber hourly guarantees but he doesn't get much business but keeps the app on and gets paid 30000 IDR per hour whether he gets rides or not. He said he was normally a driver for day-hire but when no one hired him for the day, he turned on the Uber app. At the end of the ride, he gave me his business card and offered his services for $50 per day, but I had to decline as I had already joined a tour.

Last edited by 1353513636; Jun 4, 2015 at 11:20 am
Old Jun 9, 2015, 10:40 pm

Originally Posted by gilbertaue
Many posts here refer to using uber in the US, I thought I'd get the ball started as a tourist/local in other countries.

Bangkok:

Just came back from Bangkok and took about 8 trips on uber there.

Two classes are available:

UberX: In my cases, Merc C Class (1990 model), Ford Fiesta, Toyota Vios/Corolla Honda Jazz

and UberBlack: Toyota Fortuner, Toyota Camry

All trips were fine. Almost ALL drivers rely on the app to take them to their destination. In many cases I found that the UberX drivers were not too GPS savvy. So they didnt use a window holder for the phone but rather placed the phone in the cup holder by the arm rest. So the GPS signal wasnt strong. In one case, the driver showed up and the car was still displayed as being where it was when I booked it.
Surge pricing happens often in downtown bangkok; the max I saw was 1.9x. At that rate you might as well book a UberBlack.

Trip from downtown to Airport is a flat rate of 500THB for uberX and 1000THB for a uberBlack.
So if I understand this right Uber is more expensive than taxis in Bangkok?

http://www.uberforum.com/threads/ube...n-bangkok.197/
Old Jun 11, 2015, 10:50 pm

Programs: IC Spire Amb, RC Plat, Shangri-La GC, and more.
In Toronto, I discovered "Uber Select", which is a category for luxury cars that aren't a town car or limo - in between UberX and Uber Black.

A Chrysler 300 was what I got - it has some of that sound dampening of a Mercedes. It obviously wasn't a Mercedes, yet quite nice.

But - the option wasn't generally available in the city (insufficient quantity vehicles in this specialty category?).
Old Jun 14, 2015, 8:27 pm

Mexico City - uberX is great, cheap rates and lots of drivers. Can pick up at the airport too.

Rio De Janeiro - cannot pickup from the airport. Only uberBLACK is available, and with the higher rates - Uber is not much cheaper than a regular taxi. I'm not sure why there is no uberX.

Last edited by alchemista; Jun 15, 2015 at 4:45 pm
Old Jun 16, 2015, 10:34 am

Programs: MileagePlus Gold, Avis PP, National EE, Lifemiles Silver, ConnectMiles Gold
Lima, Peru:

Great service. I was absolutely pleased with the service they had, and the drivers were genuinely friendly (everyone in Peru is for the most part). Longest it took was maybe 10 minutes, but only in certain areas they were available. Cars were mostly Yaris, Corolla and a Jetta once or twice.

The Uber X had waters available and they would literally run out the driver seat to open the door for you. They always asked if I wanted to use my music via Spotify.
Old Jun 16, 2015, 10:35 am

Capetown - Used Uber X for a couple of short hops around the city and from DeWaterkant area to the airport and had late model economy sedans for all trips. Slightly cheaper than taxis. All showed up within a couple of minutes. Drivers were a little more chatty than I'm used to, but all in all great service

Madrid - I think I was the last one to use Uber in Spain! At the end of the year I was going from Chueca to the airport and got a late model sedan, driver was excellent and was MUCH cheaper than the cost of an official taxi. A few days after the new year, when I came back to Madrid Uber was gone.
Old Jun 25, 2015, 10:01 pm
Original Poster
Accor 10+ BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: TK Elite, ALL Plus Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by shadesupordown
So if I understand this right Uber is more expensive than taxis in Bangkok?

http://www.uberforum.com/threads/ube...n-bangkok.197/
Sorry for the delay in getting back to this! For the airport, Yes. Its more expensive. But in downtown a UberX (without surge pricing) is cheaper.
Old Jun 28, 2015, 11:34 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott LTP, Hilton Gold, ITA Elite+, Cathay S, Singapore S, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Brussels - UberPOP

Used Uber twice, one time got a Toyota Prius, second time a Renault Clio, both 4 door and clean and nice. Drivers both nice, one very quiet but got me back to the Aloft quick and cheap. Other a younger guy, who just started with Uber 5 days ago. We talked about Uber and stuff and pleasant guy. He did make a wrong turn near the Aloft which let us on a 5 minute detour. He stopped Uber app instantly and brought us to the hotel. I have made this same wrong turn myself many times so didn't blame him. both 5 star, very happy with uber in Brussels
Old Jun 28, 2015, 10:37 pm

Programs: UA Premier 1K, AC SE, Delta Platinum Medallion, Marriott Titanium
Montreal - Used once, but whenever I "contemplated" using UBER there were at least 5-6 nearby cars. Transaction was smooth. I used Uber X and got a Yaris.
Old Jun 29, 2015, 6:27 am

Berlin - pretty much useless now
You can only order regular Taxis

Try Mydriver App instead, you can often find 15€ voucher codes for new customers on different websites
Old Jun 29, 2015, 3:58 pm

Programs: ABBA
UK/Manchester (home) UberX
There's almost always an uber available at the airport, rarely at Stockport station. Uber in the UK is registered as a minicab firm employing minicab drivers. Drivers tell me they are paid more than working for other firms, and the fares are cheaper

UK/London UberX
Never had a problem here, again minicab firm, far cheaper than black taxis, and for a couple of people a similar price as the tube for travel in zone 1.

Singapore UberX
I think there's an $8 minimum, meaning that for short trips in the CBD a taxi is cheaper. Uber tends to be available even when it's raining and the taxis are full up. I'm staying for a week in Hougang next month and plan on using Uber a fair bit to commute, at least on the way back from the CBD. I've had two drivers independently concerned that automatic cars would take over their jobs soon.

I got Uber from the airport once, however last week failed to get picked up - not sure which floor the driver was on, but he wasn't on the same as me at T3 (There's multiple levels)

There's a taxi option too, and for a time even a lambagini option with a minimum price of something like $200, that

Sydney UberX
Had a really grumpy driver here who didn't like the fact I had a foreign phone, otherwise no problems. Uber works fine in the CBD.

Berlin
Sadly doesn't work

Frankfurt UberPOP
This was fine, about 60% of the taxi price the night before

Brussels UberPOP
Far cheaper than a taxi, and most taxis refuse credit cards. Went from EU Parliament to Airport in rush hour a few months ago, took 57 minutes, cost €21

US/Los Angeles UberPlus
Uber Plus from the airport about 2AM in January, nice big limo, US$56 to downtown.
Old Jun 30, 2015, 4:16 pm

Seoul - Not many cars available but used it a couple of times. From the Marriott Renaissance to ICN was reasonably priced.

Beijing - A6's the several times I used them. Sometimes few and far between especially the further you get out on the ring roads.

Shanghai - A6's again and a lifesaver in the Bund area. Never a problem getting a car. Quick and inexpensive.

Berlin - It was last year but I hear they may not be there anymore. - BMW X5 at the time.

Seattle - Great service in and around the city and to the Airport

NYC - Every 2nd car is a UBER Used UBER 9 times last week. Got a Suburban each time (requested Black Car) Driver said since Lincoln discontinued the Town Car drivers are moving to Suburbans

Also used in:

Miami
SF
Minneapolis

For me it's kind of like Starbuck. A consistent service where you always know what you are getting (I only use Black or SUV)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.