Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Should I let my 15 year-old son use Uber X?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 5, 2015, 1:59 am

Programs: Costco Executive, RaceTrac Sultan of Soda, Chick-fil-A Red
I would. UberX drivers are also required to undergo background checks and other vehicle inspections. Plus uberX's are cheaper.
Old Nov 5, 2015, 9:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I would have said yes up until last week when I had an UberX driver who was so bad I thought I was going to die on the freeway. I am not exaggerating one bit.
Old Nov 6, 2015, 10:47 pm

Originally Posted by VickiSoCal
I would have said yes up until last week when I had an UberX driver who was so bad I thought I was going to die on the freeway. I am not exaggerating one bit.
I am sorry to hear that.

The most unsafe drivers I've had were all drivers who lacked a windshield or dashboard mount for their Uber phone. These drivers kept their phone on their lap or in their center console/cupholders which meant they had to look down, away from the road, every time they needed navigation.
Old Nov 8, 2015, 8:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by davie355
I am sorry to hear that.

The most unsafe drivers I've had were all drivers who lacked a windshield or dashboard mount for their Uber phone. These drivers kept their phone on their lap or in their center console/cupholders which meant they had to look down, away from the road, every time they needed navigation.
Somewhat counterintuitively, windshield mounts are illegal in 29 states. A further 8 states restrict where windshield mounts can be placed--primarily requiring them to be placed within a few inches of the lower left and lower right corners of the windshield, which is of course inconvenient, and so no one actually obeys that restriction.

This is ostensibly to prevent things from impeding the driver's view of his or her surroundings, but it has the actual effect of making drivers look down at their devices instead of ahead at the road.

Gotta love well-intentioned but clueless politicians.
Old Feb 11, 2016, 4:56 pm

Programs: AA Peon Gold
I drove UberX in PHX and I would cancel on minors. I'm not a babysitter, I'm not picking your kid up at school, and the rules specifically state unaccompanied minors are prohibited anyway.

All it would take is one kid to accuse me of doing something to them and my life would be over. (Who lets their child ride around with some complete stranger, anyway?)

Obviously, this is a YMMV situation. Some drivers have no problems picking up kids.
Old Jun 26, 2017, 10:11 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, National Executive Elite
Safer then taking a taxi...
Old Jun 27, 2017, 7:50 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold, Delta Platinum Medallion, AAdvantage Platinum Pro
Your 15 year old is not allowed to rider on Uber by himself unless you are traveling in Seattle, Phoenix, or Columbus. These are the only cities where Uber TEEN exists.

In any other city, the driver is supposed to decline the ride because of liability issues. However, there are many instances where drivers are willing to take the passenger because it is money in their pocket.

More information for you: https://www.uber.com/info/teen/
Old Jun 27, 2017, 8:00 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
I'd personally have no problem with my teenager riding with Uber, but I also understand why Uber drivers might not want to pick them up.

In the three cities where Uber specifically markets this as a service, are the background checks and liability requirements different for drivers who pick up teens?

Originally Posted by davie355
I think you might need new friends...
There are lots of studies out there that show how teens are safe drivers when they're alone, but not as safe when they're in a carload with their friends. So I can totally see where an UberX is safer than a carload of teens with a teenager at the wheel.
Old Jun 27, 2017, 7:10 pm

That's called the audience effect of enabling the dominant response.
Old Jun 29, 2017, 10:59 pm

Programs: Uber, Lyft, Skymiles, Thanksagain, Hertz Gold Presidents Club
Originally Posted by kokonutz
For a couple years I have let my son use Uber Black when I am not available to give him a ride home (he's got the app on his iPhone linked to one of my credit cards and emails). I love it because I can see if/when he uses it and where he is using it from.

My thinking is that Uber Black drivers are professionally licensed commercial drivers while Uber X drivers are, well, Uber X drivers. It just feel safer.

But now he is 15. And 6'1". I'm thinking he's ok for Uber X now.

Thoughts?
I don't know if an actual Uber driver has responded yet but it is actually against Uber's Terms of Service for a driver on UberX, UberXL, and UberSELECT to transport anyone under the age of 18 without someone age 18+ in the car.

Now as you said UberBLACK, UberSUV, and UberTAXI drivers are professional (in the literal sense of the word), licensed, and insured and you might very well be able to send him without issue.

Please recognize that every time a X driver picks up your son he/she is risking deactivation. Furthermore if your son passes for 18+ you are really screwing them over.

That said the odds of an issue are low but know that Uber's insurance company (James River) might deny any injury claims in the event of an accident as your son should not be in the car. Good luck suing an UberX driver AND getting all of the cash you would otherwise be entitled.
Old Jun 29, 2017, 11:00 pm

Programs: Uber, Lyft, Skymiles, Thanksagain, Hertz Gold Presidents Club
Originally Posted by Miami305
Your 15 year old is not allowed to rider on Uber by himself unless you are traveling in Seattle, Phoenix, or Columbus. These are the only cities where Uber TEEN exists.

In any other city, the driver is supposed to decline the ride because of liability issues. However, there are many instances where drivers are willing to take the passenger because it is money in their pocket.

More information for you: https://www.uber.com/info/teen/
Ahhh what he said^^^ ^
Old Jul 5, 2017, 1:40 pm

I've used it in Chicago for my daughter starting at age 13 or 14. Two - three times a week on average. She's 17 now. We went over always checking the tag number, cancelling if anything at all seems shady, sends "share location" AND either calls me or pretends to call me and say, "Hey, in the car. Sent you the link- should be there at 5:15." Also being polite, giving good location info, not slamming doors. Her rating is a 4.9 compared to my 4.85. 😄

I love it.
Old Jul 5, 2017, 1:44 pm

Originally Posted by john2g1
I don't know if an actual Uber driver has responded yet but it is actually against Uber's Terms of Service for a driver on UberX, UberXL, and UberSELECT to transport anyone under the age of 18 without someone age 18+ in the car.

Now as you said UberBLACK, UberSUV, and UberTAXI drivers are professional (in the literal sense of the word), licensed, and insured and you might very well be able to send him without issue.

Please recognize that every time a X driver picks up your son he/she is risking deactivation. Furthermore if your son passes for 18+ you are really screwing them over.

That said the odds of an issue are low but know that Uber's insurance company (James River) might deny any injury claims in the event of an accident as your son should not be in the car. Good luck suing an UberX driver AND getting all of the cash you would otherwise be entitled.
Nonsense. Uber gave my daughter an account. It sure isn't my negligence or hers contributing to any accident. Even if I popped her in a car on my account, unless the accident was due to some inherently child related thing (throwing a pacifier? I honestly can't think of what might qualify here...) the insurance would cover it. Oh, and IAAL.
Old Jul 11, 2017, 1:55 pm

Programs: AA, DL, Avis, Enterprise, National, IHG, HH, SPG/MR
Originally Posted by kokonutz
For a couple years I have let my son use Uber Black when I am not available to give him a ride home (he's got the app on his iPhone linked to one of my credit cards and emails). I love it because I can see if/when he uses it and where he is using it from.

My thinking is that Uber Black drivers are professionally licensed commercial drivers while Uber X drivers are, well, Uber X drivers. It just feel safer.

But now he is 15. And 6'1". I'm thinking he's ok for Uber X now.

Thoughts?
You may not like my thought, but this sounds like a horrible case of helicopter parenting. He's not a baby.
Old Aug 7, 2017, 10:02 am

Programs: UA 1K, DL Gold, IHG Diamond AMB, MR Gold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, National EE
Originally Posted by Carpedictum
Nonsense. Uber gave my daughter an account. Oh, and IAAL.
You forgot DYKWIA.

But you are dead wrong. If you are under the age of 18 you are not allowed to hold an account, or travel unaccompanied. It says so right in the legal section of Uber's website.

Drivers are trained to decline riders who are under the age of 18. This is mostly for liability reasons, and to protect both the rider and driver. What could stop a passenger from claiming the driver did something inappropriate?

Just because you signed your daughter up for an account and let her use Uber doesn't mean it's legal. You're just oblivious to the terms of use.

"You must be at least 18 years of age, or the age of legal majority in your jurisdiction (if different than 18), to obtain an Account, unless a specific Service permits otherwise. Account registration requires you to submit to Uber certain personal information, such as your name, address, mobile phone number and age, as well as at least one valid payment method supported by Uber."

"The Service is not available for use by persons under the age of 18. You may not authorize third parties to use your Account, and you may not allow persons under the age of 18 to receive transportation or logistics services from Third Party Providers unless they are accompanied by you."

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.