Wiki Posts
Search

über safety ?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 9, 2014, 4:39 pm
Original Poster

Programs: US Air, UA BA LH AI DELTA MARRIOTT CHOICE SGP
über safety ?

Recent news item showed an Über driver apprehended for raping his passenger. This man had already served time for Sexual assault.

Switzerland is about to " outlaw" Über.

How are you protected in what respect, recourse etc when you used Über as it gets more popular in the US ?
Disclaimer: Have never used Über.
qatest likes this.
Old Dec 9, 2014, 4:58 pm

Programs: Qantas LTG, BA-Blue, KLM -Gold, SAS - Silver
I've used Uber (not German, no umlaut) in a few countries now and thought it probably safer than taxis.

The driver in question, in Delhi, was quickly apprehended by police.

Can you explain how this alleged crime would be any less likely to happen in a normal Delhi taxi?
Old Dec 9, 2014, 5:13 pm
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
Even the most regulated taxi systems in the world can harbour prolific rapists:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Worboys

That's not to say that systems may be more or less open to abuse.
Old Dec 9, 2014, 5:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1k, Marriott Lifetime PE, Former DL Gold, Former SQ Solitaire, HH Gold
Originally Posted by HMPS
Recent news item showed an Über driver apprehended for raping his passenger. This man had already served time for Sexual assault.

Switzerland is about to " outlaw" Über.

How are you protected in what respect, recourse etc when you used Über as it gets more popular in the US ?
Disclaimer: Have never used Über.
I'm not a fan of Uber, but the rape issue is irrelevant. I have read in several countries where taxi drivers have been involved in robbery, rapes and murder. 15 years or so ago there were several tourists robbed and murdered in Bangkok by taxi drivers. It happens.
Old Dec 9, 2014, 5:49 pm

Uber is safe. You can caricature the UberX service as hitching a ride with a stranger, but this stranger has his name, photo, and personal info on record -- and his GPS location is tracked and logged.

If you are concerned about your safety, I recommend that every time you step in a car, you text a friend:

Code:
 Just got in an Uber. Here's my live location: (URL)
The link (available in app during each ride) will share the GPS location of your driver's phone, so even if your phone runs out of battery, your friend will know where you are.
qatest likes this.
Old Dec 9, 2014, 5:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
I use Uber X every week and have so for over a year. No worry whatsoever.

Best thing to ever come around. Sorry cabbies your pi$$ed. Competition rocks ^
qatest likes this.
Old Dec 9, 2014, 5:53 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
Uber will carry out the same checks as most or all other taxi companies and at least you have a clear record of who you travel with.

It's incredibly sad that single women in Delhi aren't safe from rape and something does need to be done, but I'm not sure that Uber is making things worse.
Old Dec 9, 2014, 8:25 pm
Original Poster

Programs: US Air, UA BA LH AI DELTA MARRIOTT CHOICE SGP
Originally Posted by mandolino
I've used Uber (not German, no umlaut) in a few countries now and thought it probably safer than taxis.

The driver in question, in Delhi, was quickly apprehended by police.

Can you explain how this alleged crime would be any less likely to happen in a normal Delhi taxi?
No scientific proof but have heard no reports from media or local friends.

Chicago TV is reporting a similar case . Uber
Old Dec 9, 2014, 8:56 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by EuropeanPete
Uber will carry out the same checks as most or all other taxi companies...
That's not correct, at least in most US jurisdictions where taxi drivers undergo fingerprint based criminal background checks.
Uber Sued by L.A. and San Francisco District Attorneys

<snip>

The suit, filed in San Francisco Superior Court, said Uber touted its background checks as “industry leading,” yet the San Francisco company did not subject its drivers to fingerprint tests. Passengers were then charged $1 “safe ride fees” based on what district attorneys said were substandard background checks.

Uber is also accused of calculating ride fares without state approval, an oversight process that prevents companies from overcharging its customers. The suit goes on to claim Uber operated at California airports without proper authorization and committed fraud by charging passengers $4 toll fees for rides in and out of San Francisco International Airport – fees that are owed to the airport, but that were never paid out.

“Uber continues to misrepresent and exaggerate background checks on drivers,” Los Angeles District Atty. Jackie Lacey said at a news conference in Los Angeles. “It’s not our goal to shut them down. What we’re saying is their advertising is false.”

<snip>
Old Dec 9, 2014, 11:33 pm
Suspended

Programs: A3, AA. Plasticy things! That give me, y'know, Stuff!
Originally Posted by enviroian
I use Uber X every week and have so for over a year. No worry whatsoever. Best thing to ever come around. Sorry cabbies your pi$$ed. Competition rocks ^
Not when part of the "competitive edge" is to simply ignore the law as inconvenient or a matter of policy.
Old Dec 10, 2014, 12:41 am

Originally Posted by SeriouslyLost
Not when part of the "competitive edge" is to simply ignore the law as inconvenient or a matter of policy.
I agree. Their willingness to ignore laws, and sometimes direct court orders, is concerning.

Last edited by will2288; Dec 10, 2014 at 1:46 am
Old Dec 10, 2014, 2:44 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by HMPS
No scientific proof but have heard no reports from media or local friends.

Chicago TV is reporting a similar case . Uber
Delhi taxi drivers raping or otherwise sexually assaulting female passengers has happened repeatedly over many years. Many of them don't get reported to the police, but some of them do get reported to medical staff.

I see no evidence that Uber is less safe than the alternatives there, and I say that as someone with lots of experience in Delhi.

Radio taxi companies and Uber had been seen as an improvement in safety/security for solo women travelers in Delhi -- an improvement over what used to be before -- but some of that may have been based on wishful thinking. The difference now is that at least the radio and uber drivers are now in a better position for being caught and punished than used to be the case. Thank technology and increased competition for that.
Old Dec 10, 2014, 8:16 am

You do realize these guys are not insured to take paying guests so wait and see what happens to you when involved in a serious accident! Do remember insurance laws are different in different countries.
Old Dec 10, 2014, 8:27 am

I use Uber roughly 5 or 6 times per week, and have had exactly zero issues. I stick with Uber Black, as the drivers are actually professionals, and the cars much nicer. My biggest issue with UberX is the inexperienced drivers who have no clue how to get anywhere (e.g., The guy who had no idea how to get to DCA from Georgetown in DC).
Old Dec 10, 2014, 8:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by moeve
You do realize these guys are not insured to take paying guests so wait and see what happens to you when involved in a serious accident! Do remember insurance laws are different in different countries.
This is my biggest concern - and I am not alone, as I know of several companies who have told their staff they are expressly forbidden from using Uber for company business, because of the risk around insurance. There have been issues here in Canada with uninsured (or underinsured) drivers, and even unlicensed drivers. They have also been in trouble for operating without the necessary permits - they claim they are a technology company, not a taxi / limo service and therefore don't need permits - codswallop - if it looks like a duck, quacks like a duck, etc!

In addition, here it just isn't economical either - for the trip I do most often, the rates quoted for the Black or SUV are 1.5-2 times more expensive than the town car service I use. For the regular uberx it is cheaper, but who knows what you might end up with!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.