Dollar Discount Codes

Reply

Old May 16, 08, 12:27 pm
  #31
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: YYZ
Posts: 1,627
Originally Posted by Firewind View Post
One-off post. Should have known...
That's a pretty harsh comment. I find the dollar site is often clunky. I tried the Southwest Code for an upcoming rental in LAS and it worked. Worked as in it did display rates for 'Southwest' customers. Unfort., that rates for Southwest customers were double the rates offered without using any code at all. YMMV.


In any event, Welcome to Flyer Talk, kamgol!
todd-r is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 08, 3:35 pm
  #32
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 104
Question

Is anyone else having problems with the Dollar website? I am trying to get a rate for car rental and get error page after submitting all info.
snickers is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 7, 08, 6:53 am
  #33
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: DFW
Programs: DL PM, .6MM; AA Plat; Marriott Platinum Premier
Posts: 4,891
Originally Posted by kamgol View Post
I don't know if anyone else has tried this, but I just reserved online with a Southwest Airlines corp code I got from another website. The discount is HUGE! The site claims it's for the FF members and not employees:

"Members of Southwest Airlines' Rapid Rewards program can use corporate code SW2358 for discounted rates from Dollar. I would recommend taking your Rapid Rewards card with you when you pick up the car. If you're not a member, sign up for free on the Southwest Airlines web site and you can print out a card instantly. "

Has anyone used this successfully before?
Originally Posted by Firewind View Post
"Error Processing Your Request"

One-off post. Should have known...
I just successfully used this code to go from lowest rate of $81.22 / day on a 2-day rental from DCA ("lock low & go") to $40 / day for an economy car. So yes, it does work. You just have to remember that it is a "Corporate" rather than "Promo" code.
nd_eric_77 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 7, 08, 10:06 am
  #34
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: BOS and ...
Programs: UA 2MM, DL 500k, CC Gold, HH Gold, GP 1M, Miracle Fruit-su Club
Posts: 9,876
$40, $220

I stand corrected re the error message that I got the first go-round. The error was mine. My flip comment was a propos of the shill veiled ads we often see in one-off posts on these boards (NOT by the people who are up front about who they represent).

In penance, I just banged SW2358 around for Economy at some of my upcoming destinations, comparing it with Orbitz (didn't try any other affinity codes), for weekdays and weekends. Sure enough -- this is $40 base across the board, all places, all dates, weekday and weekend. Great when compared with the $83 Economy weekday base rate, which I do sometimes see (from Dollar? ouch!). Not so great vs. typical weekend rates of ~$20 base.

The code yields $220 Economy weekly base, across the board. It does save a couple of bucks vs. codeless rates for summer weeks.

In short, since it's consistent, if $40 and $220 are better than what you can get otherwise, do it.
Firewind is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 8, 08, 12:33 pm
  #35
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: DFW
Programs: DL PM, .6MM; AA Plat; Marriott Platinum Premier
Posts: 4,891
Originally Posted by Firewind View Post
I stand corrected re the error message that I got the first go-round. The error was mine. My flip comment was a propos of the shill veiled ads we often see in one-off posts on these boards (NOT by the people who are up front about who they represent).

In penance, I just banged SW2358 around for Economy at some of my upcoming destinations, comparing it with Orbitz (didn't try any other affinity codes), for weekdays and weekends. Sure enough -- this is $40 base across the board, all places, all dates, weekday and weekend. Great when compared with the $83 Economy weekday base rate, which I do sometimes see (from Dollar? ouch!). Not so great vs. typical weekend rates of ~$20 base.

The code yields $220 Economy weekly base, across the board. It does save a couple of bucks vs. codeless rates for summer weeks.

In short, since it's consistent, if $40 and $220 are better than what you can get otherwise, do it.
DCA cars are often very expensive (not to mention sold-out), so this one has the potential to save my client several hundred dollars over the next several weeks. I was amazed that even Priceline could not touch the $40 rate.
nd_eric_77 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15, 08, 11:44 pm
  #36
LGA
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: NYC
Programs: AS; AA; UA; DL; VS; BA; Nat'l Emer. Exec.; AGR
Posts: 2,233
Originally Posted by nd_eric_77 View Post
I just successfully used this code to go from lowest rate of $81.22 / day on a 2-day rental from DCA ("lock low & go") to $40 / day for an economy car. So yes, it does work. You just have to remember that it is a "Corporate" rather than "Promo" code.
Careful about the "lock low" thing if you hate PT Cruisers... My new honey got into it with Dollar recently because they tried to stick him with a PT Cruiser on this rate (and were quite insistent about it). It worked out... He got a better car after cancelling and rebooking with Dollar, but I got him thinking about renting with a company that'll give him status, upgrades, and less hassle.
LGA is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16, 08, 5:22 am
  #37
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
jackal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: PIT
Programs: AS MVP (ex-75K), AA GLD, UA (ex-1K), AGR (ex-S+), HZ PC, Nat'l Exec, Costco Exec, NPS Passport
Posts: 22,249
Understood, but if you care about the kind of car, then you shouldn't book the Lock Low and Go. It's like gambling in Vegas: you win some, you lose some (only unlike Vegas, you save money in the process). You sorta lose your right to complain when you book it.

And if you ignore what they look like on the outside, from inside, the PTs aren't half bad...(they're not half good, either, but...).
jackal is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16, 08, 5:02 pm
  #38
LGA
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: NYC
Programs: AS; AA; UA; DL; VS; BA; Nat'l Emer. Exec.; AGR
Posts: 2,233
Discounts Link

http://www.momsview.com/dollarrentacar.shtml

If anyone uses one of the codes in the above link, report back with your luck (or lack thereof).
LGA is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15, 08, 2:55 am
  #39
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 1
Corp Code Discount

I just found a corporate number for Dollar. The codes BR0706. I booked a car on this at $18.72 a day in Vegas a couple weeks ago.

NO underage fee NO additional driver fee. And it was cheaper than the regular price on the website. Ohh, also, they didn't ask for ID. Apparently, thats just not Dollar's policy. Sometimes, though, I hear you have to remind them at the counter that the underage and additional driver fees are waived.

What I do is I make the reservation online (I think you have to?) and then call to confirm that the fees are waived. You can ask them to put it in the notes.

Ohh, BTW, the company is Ticket Attack Consulting.
Hannah.Skyler is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 09, 6:41 pm
  #40
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Programs: PC Pl, UA 1K, CC Gl
Posts: 2,193
Save 10% off Time and Mileage only on NEW YORK area location's standard retail rates. Exp. 03/15/09 Coupon SAV10
al613 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1, 09, 6:02 pm
  #41
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: ZRH
Posts: 657
Originally Posted by Hannah.Skyler View Post
I just found a corporate number for Dollar. The codes BR0706. I booked a car on this at $18.72 a day in Vegas a couple weeks ago.

NO underage fee NO additional driver fee. And it was cheaper than the regular price on the website. Ohh, also, they didn't ask for ID. Apparently, thats just not Dollar's policy. Sometimes, though, I hear you have to remind them at the counter that the underage and additional driver fees are waived.

What I do is I make the reservation online (I think you have to?) and then call to confirm that the fees are waived. You can ask them to put it in the notes.

Ohh, BTW, the company is Ticket Attack Consulting.
Thanks for the tip--just got a standard SUV in DEN for $265 for 8 days next week--this code's standard SUV were 20% less than the other codes I was looking at.
goheelswks is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6, 09, 10:20 am
  #42
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Corpus,TX
Programs: SPG-Gold, Amex-Plat., AA-Plat.
Posts: 367
Can this be right?? Just booked a week rental on Kauai
Just booked on line through a discount price Hawaii website link
(but at the Dollar Web site) All the prices pretty normal but for
this one???
"SUV Standard Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo (or similar)
1 week at $37.90 per week unlimited mileage
rate code DSW10
Promo code 44871
Base rate $37.90
facility charge $7.00
Tax $1.84
APT Concession Fee $3.07
Rntl Vehicle Schg $21.00
Vehicle License fee $3.15
Est. Grand Total $73.96

I have the confirmation, the pro codes came up through the site,
the discount was only for this one type of vehicle.
Am I missing something?
wintermom is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6, 09, 10:24 am
  #43
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
jackal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: PIT
Programs: AS MVP (ex-75K), AA GLD, UA (ex-1K), AGR (ex-S+), HZ PC, Nat'l Exec, Costco Exec, NPS Passport
Posts: 22,249
Sounds like it's a mistake fare, but you've got it confirmed.

I'd be leery of relying on this, since you may show up to find that they won't honor it (just as airlines and hotels don't always honor what are obviously mistakes).

Booking a backup "normal" reservation at Dollar might be a bit tacky (though not out of the question), but I'd have a backup at least at another agency you can retreat to if the price they "fix" the mistake to is too high.
jackal is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7, 09, 6:17 pm
  #44
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: BOS and ...
Programs: UA 2MM, DL 500k, CC Gold, HH Gold, GP 1M, Miracle Fruit-su Club
Posts: 9,876
Cool

Perhaps the context is that the rental car companies are the handmaidens to the manufacturers. They handle the surplus. In recent months, I've been regularly offered the largest SUVs (no Hummers) when I turn up for my economy car. "We have a Road Dominator available immediately." "What about the economy...?" "Well, that could take 15 minutes, maybe more..."

I think they're desperate to cycle the big ones through.
Firewind is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7, 09, 9:41 pm
  #45
 
Join Date: May 2007
Programs: Marriott Rewards Platinum
Posts: 3
Kauai Rental

Which Hawaii discount site did you get this rate, i am going to Kauai in Sept. would love this rate as well.
hondohawk1 is offline  
Reply With Quote
 


Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 5:03 pm.

Home - News - Forum - Hotel Reviews - Glossary - Contact Us - Airport Code Lookup - Terms of Use - Privacy Policy - Cookie Policy - Advertise on FlyerTalk - Archive - Top

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by Flyertalk.com. Copyright 2017 FlyerTalk.com. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.