Car rental in Alaska

Old Nov 24, 2022, 4:50 am
Original Poster

Programs: AY+ Plat, SAS Gold (butt in seat)
Originally Posted by AutoSlash
Historically, it's just always been that way. The owner of the Dollar/Thrifty franchisee in ANC bought the rights to the Hertz ANC and Seward franchise post-Covid when Hertz was trying to raise cash.

The Fairbanks Hertz/Thrifty franchise is a different owner. Maybe they will all consolidate one day, but there are no plans for this for the foreseeable future as far as we are aware.
Originally Posted by Carotthat
Hertz: still nothing online, neither from ANC airport nor downtown location.
only a crazy managers special for 1280 dollars
Still nothing on the market.
Hertz still the same price, Thrifty nothing at all.
AutoSlash w/ priceline a mere 961$ for lowest category.

I am desperate
Auto Enthusiast likes this.
Old Nov 24, 2022, 7:18 am
Company Representative - AutoSlash and HotelSlash

I am desperate
The best strategy is to book a pay-later reservation for the best deal you can find and track it with us. This way, you’ll be notified if/when the situation changes (which it likely will at some point).
Old Nov 27, 2022, 6:02 am

I am desperate
Why are you desperate 9 months out?
Old Nov 27, 2022, 11:11 pm
Original Poster

Because in my experience car rental prices tend to go up in the meantime.
Old Dec 21, 2022, 12:59 am
Original Poster

Does anybody have the eMail from Hertz or Thrifty in ANC?
Old Dec 21, 2022, 12:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Too many to list
Because in my experience car rental prices tend to go up in the meantime.
I use PL (priceline) and rates normally drop as you get closer to your travel date. That's my experience. On our last trip to Maui, in Nov., I grabbed a car the night before we left.

EDIT: I just checked for a one way rental from Fairbanks>Seward and it's not even bookable on PL. Good luck in your searching.

Last edited by philemer; Dec 21, 2022 at 1:00 pm
Old Dec 23, 2022, 1:46 am
Original Poster

AutoSlash uses PC also, there it is possible to rent for about 1k$.
I tried also Alaskatravel.com, they provide SUVs and OW-rentals. A small SUV is about 1,5k$ for 4 days - they work together with thrifty and overcharge every single item

Last edited by Carotthat; Dec 25, 2022 at 2:11 am
Old Dec 28, 2022, 11:28 pm
Original Poster

Called Hertz: They are quite astonished, as not even they can quote any car on any date in 2023 in Anchorage. Except this suspicious manager's special without any further information.
There's not even an eMail available for any of the two ANC stations.
They assume, the franchise is down.
But they gave me the phone number: +1-907-2434118 - did not yet call.
Old Mar 7, 2023, 8:33 am
Original Poster

I still have this ominous PL booking with manager's special in the hidden closet - is there a possibility, the hertz franchise would deny it upon picking up the car and declaring it as not valid?
(Maybe this hertz franchise only has SUVs, so I could be happy)

Found also https://ineedacarrental.com/ - a little bit pricey, but very open in declaring all fees and looks like reliable. 4 days would be about 1,4k$
Old Mar 7, 2023, 8:45 am

I still have this ominous PL booking with manager's special in the hidden closet - is there a possibility, the hertz franchise would deny it upon picking up the car and declaring it as not valid?
(Maybe this hertz franchise only has SUVs, so I could be happy)
The owner of the Hertz franchise in ANC is quite reputable so they will honor a confirmed reservation. Don't expect an SUV though.
Old Mar 7, 2023, 8:57 am
Original Poster

The owner of the Hertz franchise in ANC is quite reputable so they will honor a confirmed reservation. Don't expect an SUV though.
He is as reputable as blocking all ways of renting any car during high season through any channel
Old Mar 7, 2023, 9:04 am

He is as reputable as blocking all ways of renting any car during high season through any channel
So it would be more reputable to take reservations for vehicles you don't have???
Old Mar 7, 2023, 9:12 am
Original Poster

So it would be more reputable to take reservations for vehicles you don't have???
If you compare possible bookable cars during low season and high season, it ranges from 11 car sizes in low season to 1 car size in high season.
I don't assume, this reflects _not_ tackle and bait strategy.
Old Mar 7, 2023, 9:18 am

If you compare possible bookable cars during low season and high season, it ranges from 11 car sizes in low season to 1 car size in high season.
I don't assume, this reflects _not_ tackle and bait strategy.
It reflects the fact that during high season vehicle availability is extremely limited so they are not willing to guarantee a specific vehicle type. This is a business decision on the part of the franchisee. If you need a specific vehicle type, then there are lots of other companies you can rent from that will let you choose.

We don't know what "tackle and bait" is but if you mean "bait and switch", it's the exact opposite of that. Bait and switch would be taking a reservation for one type of vehicle (the "bait" part) and then giving you something else (the "switch" part).

By not guaranteeing any specific vehicle type they are being as transparent as possible. You get what you get. If that doesn't work for you, then rent from someone else. Nobody is forcing anybody to rent from them.
Old Mar 7, 2023, 9:46 am
Original Poster

It reflects the fact that during high season vehicle availability is extremely limited so they are not willing to guarantee a specific vehicle type. This is a business decision on the part of the franchisee. If you need a specific vehicle type, then there are lots of other companies you can rent from that will let you choose.

We don't know what "tackle and bait" is but if you mean "bait and switch", it's the exact opposite of that. Bait and switch would be taking a reservation for one type of vehicle (the "bait" part) and then giving you something else (the "switch" part).

By not guaranteeing any specific vehicle type they are being as transparent as possible. You get what you get. If that doesn't work for you, then rent from someone else. Nobody is forcing anybody to rent from them.
As you told me several months ago - and I was happy about that - there are only Hertz and Thrifty in the ANC and Seward area. So, not much options here.
Tackle and bait should refer to: you have no other option as to pick an option which is blinded for the customer.
They can give the customers any car they want. This is neither transparent nor customer friendly.
Thrifty eg rents their cars (with the one way option) through travel agencies for sky high prices.

But, btt: No need for us to crush our heads together.
AutoSlash until now does not have a better price for me, unfortunately.
I'd be happy with the PL quote, but am truly afraid we'd end up with a 2door economy (and 2 kids and 4 bags). Not sure, whether they honor the Hertz PC status either...

Last edited by Carotthat; Mar 7, 2023 at 10:09 am

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.