Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > Rental Car Discussion
Reload this Page >

Is a Kia Soul going to make it up Olympic National Park?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 1, 2022, 3:07 pm
Original Poster

Hi, all. My son and I have been laughing about us trying to get up to 6500’ elevation in a Kia Soul but I thought I’d ask if you all think we can get up the mountain in one.

Thanks.
Old Aug 1, 2022, 4:15 pm

Programs: DL Plat
Originally Posted by whitewave
Hi, all. My son and I have been laughing about us trying to get up to 6500’ elevation in a Kia Soul but I thought I’d ask if you all think we can get up the mountain in one.
Depends where you're trying to go in Olympic National Park. There's a huge amount of variability in road quality- most of the roads are paved and in great condition, some of the roads to the trailheads can be pretty rough (2WD drive is fine, but the low ground clearance of a Soul might be problematic). Where exactly are you trying to go?

The Washington Trails Association website (https://www.wta.org/) is a good resource, and users often post up-to-date reports of road and trail conditions.

ETA: I don't think you can drive up to 6500'. Olympic National Park is pretty rugged and the roads stop around 2500'. If you want to get to 6500' or the top of any actual mountain, you'll have to do it on foot, and there's currently some snow at altitude on the highest passes.
whitewave likes this.

Last edited by chococat; Aug 1, 2022 at 4:25 pm
Old Aug 1, 2022, 4:19 pm

Programs: HH Diamond
If you are driving up to Hurricane Ridge on a paved road, you will be fine. Even a dirt road. Just know that it's not an off-roading vehicle (and might violate your rental agreement).
whitewave and IAHtraveler like this.
Old Aug 1, 2022, 7:12 pm
Original Poster

Thank you both. We are only going to be in the park for 1.5 days, so will be doing the driving tourist thing this time. No off-road, etc.

I appreciate it!
Old Aug 2, 2022, 6:45 am

I think I can, I think I can, I think I can!

I don't have experience here to help, but couldn't get that visual out of my mind. Best wishes!
Auto Enthusiast and whitewave like this.
Old Aug 3, 2022, 12:28 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by AutoRentals
I think I can, I think I can, I think I can!

I don't have experience here to help, but couldn't get that visual out of my mind. Best wishes!
I know, that is why we keep laughing. Turn off ac and both of us sway front to back 😂😂😂

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.