Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > Rental Car Discussion
Reload this Page >

DCA : Any experience with Thrifty or Dollar

Old May 13, 2022, 9:33 am
Original Poster

Folks, I went car free last December. I live near DCA and actually have to go to the office M-TH so it works for me as I can actually drop off on Sunday. I'm elite with AA, so my first instinct was to rent with Avis/Budget. Alas, they are expensive and National well I'd need to win the lottery to rent with them. So I was for a while able to get reasonable prices from the company that jails its renters (Hertz) but now they are getting expensive. It's time for me to go bottom of the barrel which are Thrifty and Dollar @ DCA. Anyone have experience with either company, and if you've used both which would you pick? The prices for both are very similar, and I'll pay more (within reason) for better quality/serviced vehicles.
Auto Enthusiast likes this.
Old May 13, 2022, 12:04 pm
Company Representative - AutoSlash and HotelSlash

Thrifty and Dollar are generally fine, but you'll miss the ability to skip the counter and choose your own vehicle. Technically they both offer loyalty programs (Dollar Express and Thrifty Blue Chip) that help get you on your way faster, but they're not nearly as good as the majors.

All of that said, have you tried requesting quotes from AutoSlash to see what we can do for you on the price? You may find that without discounting, it puts the majors in the same league as the value brands. Even if not, you can always track your reservations with us and we'll let you know if we find a better deal (which may turn out to be with one of the major brands).
Old May 13, 2022, 5:43 pm

Dollar/Thrifty is part of Hertz. Don't expect much.
Old May 15, 2022, 9:22 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Auto Enthusiast
Dollar/Thrifty is part of Hertz. Don't expect much.
Thanks for letting me know.
Old May 15, 2022, 9:24 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by AutoSlash
Thrifty and Dollar are generally fine, but you'll miss the ability to skip the counter and choose your own vehicle. Technically they both offer loyalty programs (Dollar Express and Thrifty Blue Chip) that help get you on your way faster, but they're not nearly as good as the majors.
Good to know. I do use Autoslash and in Winter/early Spring I was able to use your service to rebook some Hertz rentals for a cheaper price. Now the issue is with warmer temperatures and increased tourism to the Washington DC area, all rental rates are high.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.