Wiki Posts
Search

Priceline rentals - was this too easy?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 13, 2021, 3:22 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold · A3 Gold · DL Gold · VY apologist
Priceline rentals - was this too easy?

We're going to be spending a month in PSP this winter, and rental prices have been in the stratosphere for months now. Hertz wants 6800€ for their cheapest offering, Avis was a bit cheaper, but they've all been around there. Today on a whim I did a search on Kayak and a rental for 900€ for the month popped up at Budget, along with several other similar options at higher but similar price points. I clicked through, and they asked for my name, email address, and whether I was over 25, and informed me that this rental was being "handled by Priceline" and that I would be charged when I picked up the phone car. Never asked for a credit card or any other guarantee. I checked and do indeed have a reservation through Priceline with a confirmation code, at Budget, and the T&Cs say I'll be charged and how much when the car is returned.

This seems like it's too good to be true. Is there likely to be a car there for the price quoted? Or is this some kind of scam? Anyone have any input?

Thanks!

Last edited by alanw; Dec 14, 2021 at 8:44 am
Old Dec 13, 2021, 3:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
Originally Posted by alanw
We're going to be spending a month in PSP this winter, and rental prices have been in the stratosphere for months now. Hertz wants 6800€ for their cheapest offering, Avis was a bit cheaper, but they've all been around there. Today on a whim I did a search on Kayak and a rental for 900€ for the month popped up at Budget, along with several other similar options at higher but similar price points. I clicked through, and they asked for my name, email address, and whether I was over 25, and informed me that this rental was being "handled by Priceline" and that I would be charged when I picked up the phone. Never asked for a credit card or any other guarantee. I checked and do indeed have a reservation through Priceline with a confirmation code, at Budget, and the T&Cs say I'll be charged and how much when the car is returned.

This seems like it's too good to be true. Is there likely to be a car there for the price quoted? Or is this some kind of scam? Anyone have any input?

Thanks!
I’ve heard of some Budget horror stories this year. I’m not sure what you mean about you being charged once you pickup the phone. Do you mean car?

I’d check costcotravel.com for rentals, too.
Old Dec 13, 2021, 4:50 am
Company Representative - AutoSlash and HotelSlash

Kayak is owned by Priceline so this is not uncommon. Budget is also owned by Avis. You shouldn't have an issue but keep in mind that if you reserved a pay-later reservation, it will not include insurance. As a European (we assume) we're thinking you might need insurance. This can significantly increase the cost.

We'd be happy to see if we can assist further to help you compare options.
Auto Enthusiast and TWA884 like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.