Wiki Posts
Search

Fox Rent a Car

Search this Thread

Old Jun 14, 2021, 6:13 pm
Original Poster

Programs: SWRR, HH, SM, TSA Pre
Fox Rent a Car

Looking for real world experiences with them. I've got a 5 day rental with them booked in October at MCO. They were less than half what any of the companies in the terminal are charging. Anybody's experiences show that even at that price they still aren't worth it?

I'm hearing they put a $1000 authorization hold on the CC. Has this been true for any members here?
Auto Enthusiast likes this.
Old Jun 15, 2021, 9:26 am

Fox Deposit for Orlando

Looks like this varies depends on if you are a local renter and if you are using a credit vs debit card. Hope this helps!

I'm reading this on their website for policies for MCO:
For Debit Cards: "Must have available funds to be taken as a deposit at the time of rental in the amount of the estimated rental charges plus USD/400.00"1. The credit card must have the available funds for the estimated amount of rental charges, plus a deposit of USD/150.00.

NOTE - Local renters in FLL, TPA, RSW, MCO, MIA,OAK, SFO, SJC, LAS, ORD and SLC must have available funds for the estimated amount of rental charges plus a security deposit of $500.00 - $1000.00 USD when renting Economy, Compact, Midsize, Standard and Full Size car classifications. All other car classifications must have available funds for the estimated amount of rental charges plus a security deposit of $1,000.00 USD. Debit cards not accepted for local renters.
AutoSlash likes this.
Old Jun 18, 2021, 2:22 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum
Fox rent a car

Greetings,
I rented an SUV from Fox Car Rental in SLC and there was no problem with the whole process. They were half what the other companies were charging at Salt Lake City International Airport though it meant a 7-minute shuttle ride. We took the shuttle to pick up the car and used UBER to return. I did take multiple pictures of the SUV before and After and the return was uneventful. The lady said my receipt would be emailed. The only concern is they do not sign off when you return. Their fuel prices were more than fair for a full tank and I would have no hesitation in using them again if the rate differential with HERTZ was so much. The gentleman at the counter was very polite and made no effort to make me buy any incidentals. All in all no issues with the SLC Office. Hopefully, I will get the receipt soon and move on. As of now highly recommended.
\The reservation was through AUTOSLASH.
Auto Enthusiast and AutoSlash like this.

Last edited by pontevecchio; Jun 18, 2021 at 2:23 pm Reason: Adding relevant info
Old Jul 22, 2021, 7:29 pm

Programs: Skyteam
My experience has been $150 deposit.
Old Nov 29, 2021, 7:42 pm

Does anyone have an updated experience with Fox? I have a rental at MIA and am concerned that because when I booked it was good rate there is a strong incentive for them to not honor the reservation.
Old Nov 29, 2021, 8:47 pm
Company Representative - AutoSlash and HotelSlash

Originally Posted by sbedelman
Does anyone have an updated experience with Fox? I have a rental at MIA and am concerned that because when I booked it was good rate there is a strong incentive for them to not honor the reservation.
They will always honor the rate. The risk with Fox is more about long lines, mediocre vehicles, a hard sell for their insurance and/or upgrades, and generally meh service.

That said, they are a cut above the deep-discounters like Economy, Easirent, Nu, Ace, Green Motion, etc.
Old Nov 30, 2021, 6:30 am

Fox Ownership

I agree that they are a service level above some of their peers and Fox is now owned by Europcar. In our recent experience with customers renting at Fox, the satisfaction scores are increasing since this acquisition.
Auto Enthusiast and strickerj like this.
Old Nov 30, 2021, 10:32 am

Also worth noting that at MIA, Fox is off-airport meaning that you need to take the train to the MIA rental center and then wait for a shuttle bus to take you to their location. The MIA rental center is not especially convenient to start with, and having to wait for a second shuttle just to get to a line where you wait for your car can be a PITA. Same bus-to-train fire drill on the return as well. It may be worth a few dollars more to book one of the majors located in the airport car rental center.

From Fox:

Upon arrival at the Miami International Airport, please follow the signs for Rental Cars. These signs will guide you to the MIA Mover Train which delivers all car rental customers from the airport to the Rental Car Facility.

1 - Once off the train you will enter the Rental Car Center, please walk to the left and look for the sign that reads OFF AIRPORT RENTAL CAR SHUTTLES.

2 - Proceed past that sign to the next sign that also indicates OFF AIRPORT RENTAL CAR SHUTTLES.

3 - Walk outside to the left where you will board the Fox Rent A Car Shuttle in shuttle spaces 1 or 2 for a short ride to our Miami location .

The Fox Rent A Car shuttles operate during regular business hours.

Please note: Shuttle wait times may vary. During periods of high demand like Summer and Holidays wait times will be longer.
Old Dec 10, 2021, 10:02 pm

Thanks everyone. We're flying into FLL. It's the only option for AS coming from PDX so we'll take an Uber down which I guess isn't that much worse than flying into MIA.

I'm planning on declining everything. Is bringing a copy of your proof of insurance enough to where they don't insist on selling you theirs? Is there anything else one has to bring to prevent them from lathering on the extra charges?
Old Dec 11, 2021, 3:06 am

Thanks everyone. We're flying into FLL. It's the only option for AS coming from PDX so we'll take an Uber down which I guess isn't that much worse than flying into MIA.

I'm planning on declining everything. Is bringing a copy of your proof of insurance enough to where they don't insist on selling you theirs? Is there anything else one has to bring to prevent them from lathering on the extra charges?
If you're renting from Fox or one of the majors then you don't need proof of insurance to decline it. Only the crappy deep-discount companies play those games. You just need your driver's license and credit card.

Safe travels!
Old Feb 11, 2022, 1:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I just booked via carrental8.com (which Kayak led me to) and they did a little bit of a bait and switch. Their website shows the "trusted brands" they partner with - which doesn't include Fox. But then they said they booked me with Fox. I don't think I've ever used them before but they seem sketchy. Anything in particular to be aware of with them? I'm picking up in SFO and dropping off at SNA. They were half the price of Avis/Hertz.
Old Feb 11, 2022, 2:02 pm

Fox is way cheaper because you first have to take the Airtrain to the main SFO rental center and then wait for a shuttle bus to be taken to their off-airport location. Definitely not as convenient as the major companies.
Old Feb 16, 2022, 1:02 am

Programs: AA Exp, but not sure for how long. Enterprise Platinum woo-hoo!
I've been renting regularly from Fox the past few months (I go to LAS once a month) because they're cheapest. Other than that you have to take two shuttles, which is true of all the companies not located in the car rental facility, I have nothing bad to say about them. The second shuttle that they operate is pretty efficient. Of course if you are going to be exceptionally tight on time on your return you wouldn't want to use them.

My main reason for posting is to advise that their weekly rates are often cheaper than six or even five days. And of course that spares you having to worry about the grace period, if that's going to be an issue.

I've also found that sometimes, close to the trip, the rates go down. Of course, sometimes close to the trip they're sold out!

Last month I rented from them for 10 days for $253 all-in. That would have been an excellent price two years ago; given current car rental rates it's freaking awesome. I did have a kerfuffle with them where they charged me for gas, when I had told them I'd just return the car full (which I did) but they refunded the gas charge pretty promptly when I wrote to them about it.
Old Feb 16, 2022, 7:38 am

I used Fox last week for a weekly rental in San Diego, service and vehicle were excellent, no problems. Located in rental car center like all the other companies, Very fast service. There was a lot of effort to upsell but the agent was very friendly and efficient. I declined everything. I will use them again, price was good.
AutoSlash and Auto Enthusiast like this.
Old Feb 16, 2022, 11:18 am

Programs: AA Exp, but not sure for how long. Enterprise Platinum woo-hoo!
Originally Posted by Hornetcoach
I used Fox last week for a weekly rental in San Diego, service and vehicle were excellent, no problems. Located in rental car center like all the other companies, Very fast service. There was a lot of effort to upsell but the agent was very friendly and efficient. I declined everything. I will use them again, price was good.
With every rental company, my first words as I'm handing over my license and credit card are "No Gas, No Insurance." That usually stops the upsell conversation. Fox did recently try to upsell me by saying that my own insurance would not cover loss of use. If I want to, I have Amex first-dollar insurance available for $20 per rental.

I had a truly bizarre experience last week, although in no way does it reflect on Fox. About 3 days before I was to leave, I got in the car and - the rear-view mirror was gone! In addition, the glovebox was open and there was no owner's manual. Rear-view mirrors don't just walk away. Naturally I always lock the car, and there was no sign of forced entry. Rather than return it and have Fox tell me "It was $150 for the mirror, $200 for labor to install it, and $400 for loss of use" I replaced the mirror myself. I started out going to AutoZone, but the mirror they sold me didn't quite fit. So I called a Mitsubishi dealer and they said it would take a couple of days to get the mirror, which was my last day there, but fortunately they were able to order the mirror ($90) and the service advisor was able to install it literally while I was still in the parts department paying for it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.