Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > Rental Car Discussion
Reload this Page >

E-ZPass and Florida SunPass are now interoperable

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 30, 2021, 10:41 am
Original Poster

Programs: Southwest

The Florida Turnpike Enterprises announced as of Friday May 28, 2021, E-ZPass transponders are now accepted for payment at all Florida toll roads.

Conversely, SunPass account holders will need to get a new SunPass PRO hardcase transponder for use in the E-ZPass states (as it will be dual protocol). Existing SunPass hardcase and sticker transponders, which are single protocol, will not work in E-ZPass states.

However, this is great news for those of you from the northeast who go down to Orlando or Miami for vacation or work. You can take your own personal E-ZPass with you for your rental car and no longer have to be gouged by rental car company toll schemes (PlatePass etc).

Article:
https://www.miamiherald.com/news/state/florida/article251748223.html

Last edited by sunpass; May 30, 2021 at 10:47 am
Old May 30, 2021, 6:27 pm

Programs: SWRR, HH, SM, TSA Pre
AutoSlash Am I correct in assuming that this means the IPass and all other EZPass compatible transponders will work everywhere in Central Florida?
Old May 31, 2021, 12:51 am
Original Poster

Programs: Southwest
Originally Posted by EAJuggalo
AutoSlash Am I correct in assuming that this means the IPass and all other EZPass compatible transponders will work everywhere in Central Florida?
Yes, you are correct.
Old May 31, 2021, 2:49 am

The NC QuickPass is still the best because it works in the EZPass states + Florida + Georgia + the Virginia Express Lanes. But this is a welcome development for sure.
Old May 31, 2021, 8:49 am

The only thing that EZPass doesn't do now are the Express lanes in GA, which it claims is happening later this year. It is very rapidly getting to the point that it won't matter where your tag is from in the eastern half of the country. Now if TX would get on board I'd be much happier.
Auto Enthusiast and m907 like this.
Old May 31, 2021, 4:35 pm

Programs: DL PM, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hertz Presidents Circle
Yes. Previously EZ-Pass and I-Pass only worked on Central Florida Expressway Authority/E-Pass operated roads in the Orlando region (like SR-408, SR-417, SR-429). Now they work with all Florida toll agencies that use Sun-Pass for their primary tolling system (such as the Florida Turnpike Enterprise, FDOT, MDX, and THEA)
Old May 31, 2021, 5:46 pm

Programs: Alaska, Delta, Southwest
Thanks, that is good to know - I probably won't be driving from Michigan to Florida often, but if I do, it's good to know my I-Pass is compatible.
Old Jun 1, 2021, 2:21 am

The only thing that EZPass doesn't do now are the Express lanes in GA, which it claims is happening later this year. It is very rapidly getting to the point that it won't matter where your tag is from in the eastern half of the country. Now if TX would get on board I'd be much happier.
The Kansas K-Tag works in Texas, Kansas, and Oklahoma. Not nearly as robust, but it's something.
Auto Enthusiast and kxc262 like this.
Old Jun 1, 2021, 11:13 am

Good news thanks, still need my EZ pass for NY discounts but I can get rid of my Sunpass.
FlyinHawaiian likes this.
Old Jun 1, 2021, 12:55 pm

Programs: DL PM, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by Brighton Line
Good news thanks, still need my EZ pass for NY discounts but I can get rid of my Sunpass.
Hopefully SunPass doesn’t have any more billing fiascos with their toll agency partners. There was an issue here with us Florida locals 2 years ago where SunPass wasn’t paying some of the local toll agencies (like CFX here in Orlando) and people were getting bills from directly CFX even though they had SunPass because they weren’t paying CFX their share of toll revenue.
Auto Enthusiast likes this.
Old Jun 3, 2021, 7:45 am

Originally Posted by m907
The NC QuickPass is still the best because it works in the EZPass states + Florida + Georgia + the Virginia Express Lanes. But this is a welcome development for sure.
to confirm NC QuickPass is "the best" (for someone already using NY EZpass for frequent trips the entire length of I95): is NC QuickPass totally free?
Old Jun 3, 2021, 12:05 pm

Originally Posted by SinglePapa2
to confirm NC QuickPass is "the best" (for someone already using NY EZpass for frequent trips the entire length of I95): is NC QuickPass totally free?
No, you have to buy the transponder (they even charge NC sales tax for sales outside the state). They also don't allow you to add more vehicles than transponders, so buying one for your personal vehicle and transferring to a rental car is a more involved process (unless you buy a second transponder).
m907 likes this.
Old Jun 3, 2021, 12:40 pm

Originally Posted by SinglePapa2
Don't get rid of your NY-issued tag. It's good for discounts on expensive NYC crossings.
MASTERNC and kxc262 like this.
Old Jun 4, 2021, 3:32 am

Originally Posted by MASTERNC
No, you have to buy the transponder (they even charge NC sales tax for sales outside the state). They also don't allow you to add more vehicles than transponders, so buying one for your personal vehicle and transferring to a rental car is a more involved process (unless you buy a second transponder).
For what it's worth, I never even bother adding rental cars to my account, and it always works just fine.
Old Jun 4, 2021, 6:08 am

Originally Posted by m907
The Kansas K-Tag works in Texas, Kansas, and Oklahoma. Not nearly as robust, but it's something.
I thought about it before I went to DFW last month. Decided it wasn't that big of a deal to spend some extra time on the freeway rather than taking the George Bush. If I went every year like to do to MCO I might reconsider.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.