Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > Rental Car Discussion
Reload this Page >

Orlando Mco airport car rental, no visitor toll?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 20, 2021, 12:15 pm
Original Poster

The Florida visitor pass is suspended and ic ant pick one up during my Avis car pick up at MCO airport? What is other ways to not get ripped off on car driving trip in Orlando? The car rental company charge a lot on tollways right ? Any other methods? Thanks
Old Mar 20, 2021, 1:36 pm
Company Representative - AutoSlash and HotelSlash

I think you'll find the info you are looking for here:

https://blog.autoslash.com/florida-t...r-rental-cars/

You can buy a SunPass at various locations in the state. That's probably your best bet.
Old Mar 21, 2021, 6:21 am

Programs: SWRR, HH, SM, TSA Pre
Amazon Amazon
$18.50 and Prime delivery for a UNI which works everywhere in FL and a whole lot of other states.
AutoSlash and Auto Enthusiast like this.
Old Mar 21, 2021, 7:14 am

Nice find EAJuggalo . Do you have one of these? If so, how well does it work? Any downsides?

Edit: looks like it's just the standard CFEX plastic transponder that's been rebranded with a more user-friendly and multi-region-sounding name. The NC Quick Pass does the same thing and costs half as much (or, for almost the same price, you can get a version that works with I-66 in Northern Virginia). That said, it's nice that CFEX is selling it on Amazon with Prime shipping, which is good for last-minute planners. If you have the lead time to wait for the NC one to ship, it's a better deal.
m907 likes this.

Last edited by AutoSlash; Mar 23, 2021 at 2:35 pm
Old Mar 21, 2021, 4:52 pm

Programs: DL PM, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by Sherab Sherab
The Florida visitor pass is suspended and ic ant pick one up during my Avis car pick up at MCO airport? What is other ways to not get ripped off on car driving trip in Orlando? The car rental company charge a lot on tollways right ? Any other methods? Thanks
I live in the Orlando metro area. All of our toll roads with the exception of FL-91 (Florida’s Turnpike) are still collecting cash/change (yes even during COVID) at the physical toll booths. Unless you need to drive to South Florida (even then you can use I-95 for free), just bring a bucket of change and a few dollar bills and you can pay with cash/change at toll booths
24.05.2004 likes this.
Old Apr 2, 2021, 10:06 am

Programs: SWRR, HH, SM, TSA Pre
Originally Posted by AutoSlash
Nice find EAJuggalo . Do you have one of these? If so, how well does it work? Any downsides?
I do not have one, I have an I-Pass out of IL, that works with the limited toll roads I use in the area. I'm down there once a year and drive from MCO to Melbourne. My understanding of it is that there aren't very many that work with all of the different tolling technologies in use in FL.
Old Apr 2, 2021, 10:11 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I have the Illinois I-Pass too. My understanding is that it works on toll roads in roughly all states that are east of IL, but I've never tested it in FL.
Old Apr 3, 2021, 4:47 am

Originally Posted by EAJuggalo
I do not have one, I have an I-Pass out of IL, that works with the limited toll roads I use in the area. I'm down there once a year and drive from MCO to Melbourne. My understanding of it is that there aren't very many that work with all of the different tolling technologies in use in FL.
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I have the Illinois I-Pass too. My understanding is that it works on toll roads in roughly all states that are east of IL, but I've never tested it in FL.
The North Carolina QuickPass works in all the EZPass states plus Florida and Georgia. If you get the HOV compatible version for $16.49, it also works on l-66 and the 95/395/495 Express Lanes in Virginia.

It's by far the most versatile pass.
Old Apr 3, 2021, 7:22 am

Originally Posted by m907
The North Carolina QuickPass works in all the EZPass states plus Florida and Georgia. If you get the HOV compatible version for $16.49, it also works on l-66 and the 95/395/495 Express Lanes in Virginia.

It's by far the most versatile pass.
We concur!

Why the NC Quick Pass is a Great Buy for Car Renters
m907 likes this.
Old Apr 3, 2021, 11:06 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I-Pass is a part of the EZ-Pass system which has a interoperability agreement with the Central Florida Expressway Authority/E-Pass system in Orlando (https://www.illinoistollway.com/docu...7-c047178fa25a). It is important to note that the EZ-Pass group does not have an interoperability agreement with the Florida’s Turnpike Enterprise/Sun Pass system so it’s kind of a moot point to have the agreement since several of our toll roads switch between CFX /E-Pass and FTE/Sun-Pass maintenance so while one toll under CFX maintenance will accept I-Pass, another on the same road with FTE maintenance won’t accept it. This isn’t an issue for us locals since both FTE/Sun-Pass and CFX/E-Pass have interoperability agreements between the two toll agencies, but it can be very confusing for tourist to determine what agency the road is operated by.

Last edited by MCO Flyer; Apr 3, 2021 at 11:13 pm
Old Apr 7, 2021, 6:10 am

Programs: Southwest, Best Western Gold, La Quinta, Dollar
If you can take surface streets to I-4, you'll avoid the toll roads entirely. Semoran Ave. heads due north out of the airport and eventually curves west to meet I-4. Maybe not the best way to go if you're headed to Melbourne or Cocoa or WPB but this is a good way to get to Daytona, St. Augustine etc.
Auto Enthusiast likes this.
Old Apr 7, 2021, 8:49 am

Originally Posted by Peoriaman1
If you can take surface streets to I-4, you'll avoid the toll roads entirely. Semoran Ave. heads due north out of the airport and eventually curves west to meet I-4. Maybe not the best way to go if you're headed to Melbourne or Cocoa or WPB but this is a good way to get to Daytona, St. Augustine etc.
Our surface streets have a lot more traffic than our toll roads. The drive from MCO to just I-4 in Altamonte using only Semoran Blvd/SR-436 could possibly take 45-60 mins alone. When going to Melbourne or Cocoa, there are some easy ways to avoid the tolls without adding too much time in traffic. If you use the south exit out of the airport, you can take Boggy Creek Road to S Narcoossee Rd which will take you to US-192 which is a rural 4-lane highway with few traffic lights. Once you turn left onto US-192, you can either head straight which will take you into Melbourne or turn left on Nova Rd which will take you to Cocoa.
Old Apr 14, 2021, 10:01 am

Originally Posted by AutoSlash
They do claim you can't have more vehicles on your account than transponders, so you either need to add/delete vehicles when you rent or buy another transponder (guess you can buy another without a vehicle to go with it).
Old Apr 15, 2021, 4:11 am

Originally Posted by MASTERNC
They do claim you can't have more vehicles on your account than transponders, so you either need to add/delete vehicles when you rent or buy another transponder (guess you can buy another without a vehicle to go with it).
I don't think this is an issue. I don't even add the rental car to my account; I just stick the transponder on and it works.
Old Apr 16, 2021, 1:01 pm
Original Poster

I haven't been charged with any tolls yet by the Avis for my 6 days of driving in orlando, mainly to legoland, sea world and downtown area. I rented from i believe 20th till 26th of Mrach. I believe I wasn't charged for tolls because I have set to avoid tolls on my google map driving direction on my phone. The MCO airport no longer issues visitor toll pass due to covid issue.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.