Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > Rental Car Discussion
Reload this Page >

Personal Insurance and Chase Sapphire Insurance

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 26, 2021, 3:46 pm
Original Poster

Programs: EY

I recently rented at PHX Hertz. I declined all the agency insurance ($52/day for the basic insurance!) and informed them I had primary coverage on my Chase Sapphire Reserve card. That part wasn't an issue , but the agent did ask me what my personal insurance company was. I reluctantly informed her, and she typed it in. I did not show any proof of that insurance. I was wondering what Hertz would do if I didn't have personal insurance, or what would have happened if I had gotten into an accident and Hertz tried to claim it against my personal insurance and not Chase.

Separately, do Hertz or other companies' rental agreements allow a spouse to drive for free without adding them as an additional driver at $14/day?
Old Jan 26, 2021, 4:14 pm
Company Representative - AutoSlash and HotelSlash

It's fairly typical for them to ask. It's the honor system to provide them with the correct info. It's really up to you to make the claim against whatever insurance you have. They like to have the info on-file "just in case" as they've certainly gotten stiffed on damage claims in the past for various reasons.

As for allowing a spouse to drive for free, the answer is a qualified yes. Unlike, Enterprise, Avis, Budget, etc. that always allow spouses to drive for free in the US, Hertz doesn't have that blanket policy. With Hertz, in the US, spouses can drive for free if the renter is a Hertz Gold member and/or they are a member of AAA or USAA and the renter applies that discount code. There are some other situations as well around additional drivers (including spouse) which we spell out in this blog post.
BMWBig6 likes this.
Old Jan 27, 2021, 10:15 am
Original Poster

Programs: EY
Thanks for the informative response. I'll be sure to try and get Hertz Gold next time. I believe the Sapphire Reserve gives National Emerald's Club for free, and you can match that to Hertz Gold.
Old Jan 27, 2021, 2:36 pm

Hertz Gold is free for everyone now.
m907 likes this.
Old Jan 27, 2021, 3:19 pm

It's a real exclusive club.
rhwbullhead likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.