NY Parking violation for rental car

Old Dec 30, 20, 8:09 pm
Original Poster

NY Parking violation for rental car

I rented a car (with a NY license plate) from Budget in NYC and I received a notice of parking violation that says "insp sticker expired (NYS)" and the fine was $65. Do I have to pay for it or is it the rental car company's responsibility? If it's other traffic violation (e.g. parking without a permit) I would suck up and pay for it but it seems a bit unfair for me to pay for something that is beyond my control.

p.s. it never occurs to me to check for the sticker. I thought that would be the rental car's responsibility to give me a car with a valid sticker.
Auto Enthusiast likes this.
Old Dec 30, 20, 9:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
I would ask Budget to pay it. Bottom line - it is Budget's responsibility to ensure the vehicle complies registration law.

But you may have to pay that first.
Old Dec 31, 20, 3:30 am

Originally Posted by garykung View Post
I would ask Budget to pay it. Bottom line - it is Budget's responsibility to ensure the vehicle complies registration law.

But you may have to pay that first.
​​​​​​
I don't see why he would have to pay it. Whatever agency issued the ticket has no idea he's the driver.
seawolf likes this.
Old Dec 31, 20, 6:29 am
Original Poster

Just for completeness Budget took care of the ticket.
Old Dec 31, 20, 6:49 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
If you have not, I would go online and confirm that the ticket was paid.
Auto Enthusiast likes this.
Old Dec 31, 20, 10:22 am

Did you ask for compensation for your time and trouble resolving this?
m907 and jerry305 like this.
Old Dec 31, 20, 12:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by m907 View Post
​​​​​​I don't see why he would have to pay it. Whatever agency issued the ticket has no idea he's the driver.
Although this has been resolved, in some cases, request a reimbursement may be a way how rental car companies handle things like that.
Old Dec 31, 20, 1:19 pm

​​​​​​
I don't see why he would have to pay it. Whatever agency issued the ticket has no idea he's the driver.
But, clearly NYC got OP's name and contact information from Budget. This wasn't a moving traffic violation, so there was no driver to speak of.

Might have been better if Budget had headed this off at the pass by sorting out violations which it knows it's responsible for, but that is wishful.
Auto Enthusiast and strickerj like this.
Old Dec 31, 20, 3:05 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Often1 View Post
But, clearly NYC got OP's name and contact information from Budget. This wasn't a moving traffic violation, so there was no driver to speak of.

Might have been better if Budget had headed this off at the pass by sorting out violations which it knows it's responsible for, but that is wishful.
The reason I got a ticket is because I parked at somewhere I shouldn't be parking. (NYC parking signs are really confusing) so I got the usual parking ticket too but at least for the time being NYC doesn't have my name or contact information. I'm a tourist here and I'm trying to avoid accidentally missing a court date ...
Auto Enthusiast and seawolf like this.
Old Dec 31, 20, 3:09 pm

If that were the case and Budget agreed to pay, I would much prefer to pay the ticket (it is not a moving traffic violation and there are no insurance or other consequences) and then be reimbursed. That way, it is settled and done.
Scott Kiwi likes this.
Old Jan 1, 21, 4:10 am

Originally Posted by Often1 View Post
If that were the case and Budget agreed to pay, I would much prefer to pay the ticket (it is not a moving traffic violation and there are no insurance or other consequences) and then be reimbursed. That way, it is settled and done.
But then you are effectively pleading guilty to something that was not your fault.
Old Jan 1, 21, 1:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

But then you are effectively pleading guilty to something that was not your fault.
Non-moving violations are not exactly crimes or traffic offenses. So the concept of "guilty" does not exist.
BugsyPal likes this.
Old Jan 2, 21, 4:35 am

Non-moving violations are not exactly crimes or traffic offenses. So the concept of "guilty" does not exist.
I don't know if that's correct in every jurisdiction, but even if there are no real consequences, why do it? There's no benefit to you whatsoever.
Old Jan 2, 21, 11:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I don't know if that's correct in every jurisdiction, but even if there are no real consequences, why do it? There's no benefit to you whatsoever.
Things happen. Also - I did not say there is no real consequence. A non-moving violation is not a traffic offense, but still it can prevent a vehicle from registration renewal (usually the motor vehicle department will force you on the spot to pay the ticket during renewal).
Old Jan 3, 21, 5:19 am

Things happen. Also - I did not say there is no real consequence. A non-moving violation is not a traffic offense, but still it can prevent a vehicle from registration renewal (usually the motor vehicle department will force you on the spot to pay the ticket during renewal).
Again, that's the rental company's problem, not the renter's.

What is the benefit to the renter?

Search this Thread
Search Engine: