Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > Rental Car Discussion
Reload this Page >

How Rental Car Operators Can Navigate Cashless Tolling

Old Dec 17, 2020, 6:06 pm
Original Poster

Ugh, "to turn an expense into a new revenue stream".

https://www.autorentalnews.com/10132...Rental+News%29
Old Dec 18, 2020, 3:27 am

AutoSlash I'd be curious to hear how the major companies handle toll payments now. Is it as cumbersome as the article describes?
​​​​
Old Dec 19, 2020, 6:08 am
Company Representative - AutoSlash and HotelSlash

All the major rental companies are partnered with 3rd party providers that automatically process and bill tolls accordingly directly to the renters. The article referenced above is mainly geared to independent operators or franchisees/licensees of the major firms who may not have such deals in place currently.
Auto Enthusiast and m907 like this.

Last edited by AutoSlash; Dec 19, 2020 at 3:36 pm
Old Dec 19, 2020, 7:49 pm

Originally Posted by AutoSlash
All the major rental companies are partnered with 3rd party providers that automatically process and bill tolls accordingly directly to the renters. The article referenced above is mainly geared to independent operators or franchisees/licensees of the major firms who may not have such deals in place currently.
Exactly!

Virtually all major players (Enterprise, Hertz, etc... ) long have had toll/EZ-pass or whatever transponders or similar devices built into vehicles. They've had no choice since many areas have moved to toll-less highways, bridges, tunnels.....

Days of declining toll passes is becoming less and less because it is already there and for a good reason. Car rental places cannot afford to have their vehicles racking up hundreds of dollars in unpaid tolls. But they need ways to see that tolls are paid and billed to driver of rented vehicle.

Those who have their own EZ-Pass or whatever are well advised on how to either disable what is built into vehicle, or how to manage that their pass is read and charged. It is also a good idea if using one's own toll pass to put it up and leave it there while driving. Got zinged by National for $5 toll plus $2 charge for a short bit of toll highway that didn't realize and forgot to "hold" my EZ-Pass up to be read when passing.

Most toll less highways and crossings are set up to read EZ-Pass device and also capture license plate number. Thus one way or another a bill is coming. If you use your own toll pass and vehicle rental place send you a duplicate bill, send them copy of your statement showing tolls were billed to your pass account, and they should reverse the charges and fees.
Old Dec 20, 2020, 12:22 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by BugsyPal
Those who have their own EZ-Pass or whatever are well advised on how to either disable what is built into vehicle, or how to manage that their pass is read and charged.
In some cases the agency's device is attached on the inside of the windshield and is physically contained in a box that can be swiveled to be opened and closed, to allow another device owned by the renter to be used in its place. Absent that option I would be clueless how to "disable what is built into the vehicle". So far, knock on plastic, my combination of using my own device AND temporarily adding the license plate to my device's account, has worked, but I have "held my breath" on a number of completed trips through multiple electronic toll spots, whether I would be hearing from a car rental agency, weeks and/or months after a rental.
Old Jan 14, 2021, 10:08 am

Programs: Southwest
I would add the tip that you should add the license plate of the rental car to your respective toll transponder account during the period of your rental and remove it after you have returned the vehicle. I would also save the "add vehicle" confirmation you receive by email from the transponder issuing agency confirming that plate was on your account. That has helped me in a few photo toll disputes with PlatePass when I had my own transponder in the vehicle with me.
randix likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.