FL drive-in

Old Dec 7, 2020, 12:21 pm
Company Representative - AutoSlash and HotelSlash

Originally Posted by SinglePapa2
strange on dollar.com website; still $1-5 special page, although says booking deadline was 11/23. Impossible to complete new booking: page just blinks, and states nothing at all.

But we know the six-digit code. Is it possible via Autoslash/Priceline? I'd be interested in changing my MCO drop-off in favor of FLL drop-off on existing booking; how could I accomplish that?
We can confirm that promo code stopped working on 11/23. Dollar just hasn't gotten around to removing it from their website. We've got at least one code loaded for discounted one-way rates with Hertz. If you request a quote, you'll get the best deal available.
Auto Enthusiast likes this.
Old Dec 7, 2020, 3:09 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by AutoSlash
We can confirm that promo code stopped working on 11/23. Dollar just hasn't gotten around to removing it from their website. We've got at least one code loaded for discounted one-way rates with Hertz. If you request a quote, you'll get the best deal available.
My request would be contingent on latest in Dec departure date from NY, longest period allowed before daily rate jump. So I can't possibly submit one request, without knowing those nuances.

It seemed any pick-up beyond 12/16 was prohibitive. Then, the deeper in Dec you went on your return date, the more DAILY rate would deteriorate. But I can't remember what return date was the rate's "crashing point"
Old Dec 7, 2020, 3:20 pm

My request would be contingent on latest in Dec departure date from NY, longest period allowed before daily rate jump. So I can't possibly submit one request, without knowing those nuances.

It seemed any pick-up beyond 12/16 was prohibitive. Then, the deeper in Dec you went on your return date, the more DAILY rate would deteriorate. But I can't remember what return date was the rate's "crashing point"
Yes, 12/16 is the "crashing point" as you called it. You must pick up by 12/16 and return no more than 5 days later to get the discounted rate.
Old Dec 7, 2020, 3:36 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by AutoSlash
Yes, 12/16 is the "crashing point" as you called it. You must pick up by 12/16 and return no more than 5 days later to get the discounted rate.
you are implying the return crashing point of 12/21. But I was looking for way later return
Old Dec 13, 2020, 5:50 pm
Original Poster

a cliffhanger: I'm due to pick-up Wed 9pm (they close 9.30pm), which was the absolutely latest ALLOWED hour of pick-up before RATE SKYROCKET next date. Winterstorm Gail brings 8-12 inches of snow and 30mph winds at LGA; and I'm sure they'd be closing shop early. So it appears I'll be picking up next day, when (5-day x $1-rate) is no longer in the system. But it won't be thru my fault - if in fact they close shop by Wed nite...What can I tell them to still give me 5 days from Thu, and keep the $1 rate? (of course no matter what they tell me at pick-up, the rate problem may surface on print-out during my return 5 days later)

btw, I'm Hertz PC status - does Dollar care at all?

Last edited by SinglePapa2; Dec 14, 2020 at 10:15 am
Old Dec 17, 2020, 7:47 pm

a cliffhanger: I'm due to pick-up Wed 9pm (they close 9.30pm), which was the absolutely latest ALLOWED hour of pick-up before RATE SKYROCKET next date. Winterstorm Gail brings 8-12 inches of snow and 30mph winds at LGA; and I'm sure they'd be closing shop early. So it appears I'll be picking up next day, when (5-day x $1-rate) is no longer in the system. But it won't be thru my fault - if in fact they close shop by Wed nite...What can I tell them to still give me 5 days from Thu, and keep the $1 rate? (of course no matter what they tell me at pick-up, the rate problem may surface on print-out during my return 5 days later)

As you probably found out, Dollar doesn't give a hoot about your Hertz PC status. Hey, these days, Hertz barely cares about it.
Auto Enthusiast and m907 like this.
Old Dec 17, 2020, 10:15 pm

How did it go? Pickup process? Car assigned or chosen? Type of car? Mileage? Which state is it originally from? Etc.
Old Dec 21, 2020, 2:50 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Auto Enthusiast
How did it go? Pickup process? Car assigned or chosen? Type of car? Mileage? Which state is it originally from? Etc.
Pick-up was scheduled 12/16 9pm. This was the last hour for code to work. It happened to be the height of the storm. Governor/Mayor announced no one should be on roads, to avoid being stuck and to allow plows. Above ground subway - which goes toward LGA - was placed on service halt "early 12/16 - early 12/17"

I call (predictably Manila, Philipinnes), explain NYC state-of-emergency, and ask to confirm LGA location will not close early - as did most businesses. They say they don't have direct# to LGA, but received no indication of early close. I'm not about to risk my life and then kiss the locked door - unless I hear from horse's mouth. I figure how unsolvable may be an early 12/17 pick-up vs. late 12/16 - given I'm not claiming added day.

Got there 9am. ZERO CUSTOMERS, full lot. Desk claims I was a no-show by 9.30pm close. And 12/17 pick-up is $60/day. Manager hints wouldn't mind a bribe; then "call Corporate to see if they authorize old rate." An hour on hold later - no resolution. "Nothing we can do"

I wasn't going to drive same day on those roads anyway; so I rented Budget next day $55 all-in for a day. Want to bring up Corporate's M.O. (no direct calling LGA, even in state of emergency) to company's top. I wasn't asking to change return date - why was it IMPOSSIBLE to check me out at yesterday's rate, given NYC emergency shutdown?? Can't anyone do anything mannually anymore...
Old Dec 21, 2020, 4:05 pm

Got there 9am. ZERO CUSTOMERS, full lot. Desk claims I was a no-show by 9.30pm close. And 12/17 pick-up is $60/day. Manager hints wouldn't mind a bribe; then "call Corporate to see if they authorize old rate." An hour on hold later - no resolution. "Nothing we can do"

I wasn't going to drive same day on those roads anyway; so I rented Budget next day $55 all-in for a day. Want to bring up Corporate's M.O. (no direct calling LGA, even in state of emergency) to company's top. I wasn't asking to change return date - why was it IMPOSSIBLE to check me out at yesterday's rate, given NYC emergency shutdown?? Can't anyone do anything mannually anymore...
2 things:

1) This was Dollar/Thrifty, right? Why would you expect anything extra from a company under the aegis of Hertz? Even in normal times, many people here complained, myself included, that Hertz billing and customer service sucks.

2) Even at $55/day all-in, it was still how much higher than what you were supposed to originally pay? What would you have done if all competitors were much higher, as in out-of-season rate?
Old Dec 21, 2020, 5:02 pm
Original Poster

2 things:

1) This was Dollar/Thrifty, right? Why would you expect anything extra from a company under the aegis of Hertz? Even in normal times, many people here complained, myself included, that Hertz billing and customer service sucks.

2) Even at $55/day all-in, it was still how much higher than what you were supposed to originally pay? What would you have done if all competitors were much higher, as in out-of-season rate?
Few people choose DRIVING over FLYING. Frontier was $11. I'm returning on that fare after New Year's

Above was not merely a rant. I'm not sure who to contact in Dollar for some kind of remedy. Actions of both the location, and the Corporate line, were little short of outrageous. Insisting that an immaterial deadline (I was not moving return date at all) puts a Company on their knees is preposterous
Old Dec 22, 2020, 11:28 am

Care to share what type of car, mileage, plate, etc you got from Budget?
Old Dec 22, 2020, 6:50 pm
Original Poster

Care to share what type of car, mileage, plate, etc you got from Budget?
Not sure there is free upgrade in Budget fastbreak, is there?

JFK counter talked me into $23 upgrade from Compact to Lincoln 15k (NY plate). Lincoln provided easy 18h ride to Daytona; but they did promise me some refund on account on non-Full tank. Any gauge on my upgrade?
Old Dec 23, 2020, 2:12 pm

Not sure there is free upgrade in Budget fastbreak, is there?

JFK counter talked me into $23 upgrade from Compact to Lincoln 15k (NY plate). Lincoln provided easy 18h ride to Daytona; but they did promise me some refund on account on non-Full tank. Any gauge on my upgrade?
Free upgrade from compact to Lincoln? For real? There is a coupon on Budget's website, but it says 1 category, which is the norm. If they promised you compensation for fuel, maybe you can try to negotiate a discount on the upgrade fee, but I doubt they would let it go entirely.

The free upgrade code “UUWZ042” has been prefilled in the form and will automatically apply when you click, “Select my car”.

Upgrade from Intermediate, Standard, or Full-Size

With this coupon you can upgrade any available car from one of the following three Budget car rental groups:
  • Intermediate Car Rental (Group C)- upgrade to a Standard Car Rental (Group D)
  • Standard Car Rental (Group D)- upgrade to a Full-Size Car Rental (Group E)
  • Full-Size Car Rental (Group E)- upgrade to a Premium Car Rental (Group G)
The upgrade will take place during pickup. Book the car with the ideal rate for you and then you’ll receive an upgraded vehicle when you pick up the keys.

Sale Period

Your car rental must be picked up on or before June 30th, 2021 [Now - 6/30/2021].
SinglePapa2 likes this.
Old Dec 24, 2020, 5:26 am
Original Poster

Free upgrade from compact to Lincoln? For real? There is a coupon on Budget's website, but it says 1 category, which is the norm. If they promised you compensation for fuel, maybe you can try to negotiate a discount on the upgrade fee, but I doubt they would let it go entirely.

The free upgrade code “UUWZ042” has been prefilled in the form and will automatically apply when you click, “Select my car”.

Upgrade from Intermediate, Standard, or Full-Size

With this coupon you can upgrade any available car from one of the following three Budget car rental groups:
  • Intermediate Car Rental (Group C)- upgrade to a Standard Car Rental (Group D)
  • Standard Car Rental (Group D)- upgrade to a Full-Size Car Rental (Group E)
  • Full-Size Car Rental (Group E)- upgrade to a Premium Car Rental (Group G)
The upgrade will take place during pickup. Book the car with the ideal rate for you and then you’ll receive an upgraded vehicle when you pick up the keys.

Sale Period

Your car rental must be picked up on or before June 30th, 2021 [Now - 6/30/2021].
Thank you for details. Budget CS is apparently out of MEX, and was way snappier than horrible Dollar's. It took only 2 days to post their fuel error, and receipts are always helpful - although not mandatory, he took my word for it.

On the class: I shot myself in the foot. Snow cleared by then, but I should've still pre-paid Fullsize at $4 over Compact. When she created an impression she'd stick me with a tiny old car, and offered a "break" of "only $23 all-in" for newish L.C., I just splurged. Proved very comfortable. In 40 years, I've never driven a Compact to FL, and it was stupid to book it at both Dollar and Budget. Not sure what counter would over-charge me from Full - but I observed them lie with a straight face. I refused the rate twice, until she finally landed at $23
Old Dec 24, 2020, 9:27 am

What outrageous upgrade fee did she initially offer?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.