Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > Rental Car Discussion
Reload this Page >

Vehicle swaps at major airports and their rental car taxes/concession fees

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 20, 2020, 2:20 am
Original Poster

Programs: Southwest

Suppose you were to have a rental agreement for a one way trip that was from an off airport rental location.

If circumstances such as lack of vehicles at the off airport location or a defect in your rented vehicle compelled you to have to go to the major airport location (with the consent of the rental company) to find or swap a vehicle, would you be subject to the hefty on airport rental taxes and concession fees? Or would your rate remain the same as the original agreement ?
Old Sep 20, 2020, 2:28 am

No, AFAIK taxes and fees are always based on the location you pick up from.
Auto Enthusiast likes this.
Old Sep 20, 2020, 10:07 am
Company Representative - AutoSlash and HotelSlash

Originally Posted by missingcolours
No, AFAIK taxes and fees are always based on the location you pick up from.
That is correct. Doing a vehicle swap at another location will not cause your rental agreement to be re-written or your price to be adjusted in any way assuming the location does it correctly. as a swap and not a return and a brand new rental.
Old Sep 20, 2020, 2:24 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Southwest
Originally Posted by AutoSlash
That is correct. Doing a vehicle swap at another location will not cause your rental agreement to be re-written or your price to be adjusted in any way assuming the location does it correctly. as a swap and not a return and a brand new rental.
What about a scenario where the Hertz Local Edition tells me they do not have any cars on site and I offer to go to the airport to get a rental car from their office there? Would the original contract still apply?
Old Sep 20, 2020, 2:32 pm

Originally Posted by sunpass
What about a scenario where the Hertz Local Edition tells me they do not have any cars on site and I offer to go to the airport to get a rental car from their office there? Would the original contract still apply?
That all depends on whether the local office initiates the contract or the airport does. Our guess is that you would not be able to just pick up a rental at the airport with a reservation that states a pickup at the HLE since the airport likely won't be able to open a contract from a different location, and any contract they open themselves is going to include any relevant airport taxes and fees. Our recommendation, to be on the safe side, is to request that the HLE transfer the car from the airport to the local office and then check out the rental from there.
Old Sep 20, 2020, 4:34 pm

Our recommendation, to be on the safe side, is to request that the HLE transfer the car from the airport to the local office and then check out the rental from there.

That could take several hours. It might be much faster to go to the car yourself.
Old Sep 20, 2020, 5:45 pm

Originally Posted by Auto Enthusiast
Our recommendation, to be on the safe side, is to request that the HLE transfer the car from the airport to the local office and then check out the rental from there.

That could take several hours. It might be much faster to go to the car yourself.
Agreed, but the question was about avoiding airport fees. We've had customers who were told to go to the airport when the local HLE ran out of vehicles and then they ended up paying a higher rate because the airport had no way of completing the rental contract as if the vehicle were picked up at the HLE. Just something to be aware of.
Old Sep 20, 2020, 9:12 pm

I was once told to go to a northern NJ location across the border from New York State when the local HLE abruptly closed. The telephone agent originally suggested a location further north in NY, but an hour out and in the wrong direction of my one-way cross country trip. As you might guess, NJ taxes are different, notably a taxable $5/day security fee. The location was able to manually create an adjustment that made the total match my confirmation printout. I assume they just ate the difference, which for 14 days was $70. The rate for a new reservation booked directly with them was, not surprisingly, much higher.
Old Sep 21, 2020, 1:11 am

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
I have a somewhat relevant note... Sign up for Hertz Gold (no membership fee). I had an HLE tell me they were out of my reserved category car, and it would be a significant wait, "except as Hertz Gold I can authorize an upgrade to the car we have on the lot for you".
Old Sep 21, 2020, 2:15 am

Programs: UA Million Miler
This happened to me once. I reserved a small car (compact/economy) at a downtown Washington DC office. All they had were a large SUV and a massive pickup. I took the pickup and drove directly to DCA airport and they swapped out for a small car. There was no change in pricing or anything.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.