FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Rental Car Discussion (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/rental-car-discussion-745/)
-   -   Mid-Res Change Cost - Central Reservations vs. Local Station (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/rental-car-discussion/2025222-mid-res-change-cost-central-reservations-vs-local-station.html)

Tino Sep 16, 2020 1:52 pm

Mid-Res Change Cost - Central Reservations vs. Local Station

I learned a valuable lesson this week. Enterprise is usually my first choice, due to their reward program and the fact that it is the only car rental at a small airport I frequently fly to.

Enterprise has two separate inventory systems. One for airports, one for neighborhood/city locations. I frequently rent one-way between the two, but after the reservation starts, changing it can become very difficult.

I rented out of BMI and needed to go to St. Louis. While there, my plans changed and I was unable to return the car to BMI. Enterprise's national 800 number quoted me a $500 fee to return to STL Lambert, and was unable to provide a quote for any of the other dozens of St. Louis city locations because they could not see their inventory. I merely showed up at a neighborhood location, was quoted a modest dropoff fee, and gave them the car.

storewanderer Sep 17, 2020 12:44 am

Originally Posted by Tino (Post 32680332)
I learned a valuable lesson this week. Enterprise is usually my first choice, due to their reward program and the fact that it is the only car rental at a small airport I frequently fly to.

Enterprise has two separate inventory systems. One for airports, one for neighborhood/city locations. I frequently rent one-way between the two, but after the reservation starts, changing it can become very difficult.

I rented out of BMI and needed to go to St. Louis. While there, my plans changed and I was unable to return the car to BMI. Enterprise's national 800 number quoted me a $500 fee to return to STL Lambert, and was unable to provide a quote for any of the other dozens of St. Louis city locations because they could not see their inventory. I merely showed up at a neighborhood location, was quoted a modest dropoff fee, and gave them the car.

How much is a modest drop off fee?

With the tight inventory right now the neighborhood location may have been really happy to get a surprise vehicle...

Tino Sep 17, 2020 2:47 pm

They actually were happy to get the car. When I dropped it off it was the only car in the lot, and it was a recent full size model. I am waiting for the final invoice to be emailed, but they quoted me $67, considerably less than the $500 I was quoted over the phone.

IAHtraveler Sep 17, 2020 8:30 pm

Moderator's Note: I changed the thread title to something more specific/accurate, per Flyertalk Rules