Expired Driver License due to Covid

Old Aug 1, 20, 7:18 am
Original Poster

Expired Driver License due to Covid

Got a problem I wanted to see if anyone had any thoughts or knowledge about. I live in Las Vegas and our DMV's only accept driver license renewals by appt only. My appt is approximately 6 weeks after my license expires next week, it was the earliest available. From my understanding TSA has been accepting expired driver licenses because a lot of people are running into similar DL renewal issues but what about the car rental companies? I'm planning to rent from Budget next weekend but my license will be technically expired until I can get it renewed in September. So far I haven't found any definitive info online.

Thanks
Old Aug 1, 20, 8:46 am
Company Representative - Autoslash

Some companies are making exceptions to their policies because of COVID-19. It's best to call Budget in Las Vegas directly to check about their current stance on this. There is no definitive information online as polices can vary by company and even location.

The other option is to put the rental in someone else's name who has a current license and then list yourself as an additional driver on the rental contract. If you are a member of AAA, USAA, or Costco and use that discount code, then there would be no change for a second driver (more info here).

Last edited by AutoSlash; Aug 1, 20 at 12:27 pm
Old Aug 1, 20, 10:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Jeff050 View Post
Got a problem I wanted to see if anyone had any thoughts or knowledge about. I live in Las Vegas and our DMV's only accept driver license renewals by appt only. My appt is approximately 6 weeks after my license expires next week, it was the earliest available. From my understanding TSA has been accepting expired driver licenses because a lot of people are running into similar DL renewal issues but what about the car rental companies? I'm planning to rent from Budget next weekend but my license will be technically expired until I can get it renewed in September. So far I haven't found any definitive info online.

Thanks
Are you renting locally or outside the state? If locally, it's probably easier to explain. For one thing, make sure you carry a confirmation of your appointment along with your license, that would show anyone in the state (who is presumably aware of this) that you have an appointment but that it's after your expiration date.

But how much that would help outside the state, I don't know.

Keep in mind that technically Nevada like so many states seems to be asking for people to avoid "non-essential" travel, so the danger is that this could theoretically be used by someone to claim that you shouldn't be driving for "non-essential" purposes until you get that license actually renewed. So make sure that everyone you might need to show your license to is going to be understanding and accepting of your situation, to the best degree you can, before you start your possible rental.

In case you rental is for "essential purposes", it might be helpful to have letter stating that (from whoever determined that). I know that when I was staying in hotels before my state technically allowed "non-essential" hotel guests, I had a letter from my employer stating that I was an "essential" employee. I never ended up having to use it, but it gave me more confidence to book those hotels.
Old Aug 1, 20, 11:38 am

The Nevada DMV has an official extension to September 13 per https://dmvnv.com/index.htm, so technically and legally your license expiration date is now 9/13. I would print the official extension letter from the site and keep it with your DL, and change the expiration date in your Fastbreak account if you have one. There are other situations (at least on California) where an older photo-id card is combined with a paper license while waiting for a card to be delivered, for example.

If renting in NV the agents are likely already aware. Elsewhere be prepared to show the letter (but I might not unless the agent notices, because why even create a question in their mind if they don't). Nothing is guaranteed, but you want to be certain of yourself and use the right terminology ("No, my license expiration is not until 9/13, as this letter states and you can verify on the NV DMV site")
MSPeconomist and Often1 like this.
Old Aug 1, 20, 12:09 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Your drivers license has not expired. It has been extended by the issuing agency and is thus, definitionally not expired. Nevada issues (find printable file on website) a letter explaining this which forms an appendix to your DL. Pretty much every state which has extended DL's has also posted such a file.

I can't tell you that there is not some random TSA Officer who balks at this nor can I tell you that every low-level frontline person at every car rental agency in the US won't balk either. But, if there really is a problem, ask for a supervisor.

There are hundreds of thousands of DL's which are past the printed expiration date, but which are not expired.
Old Aug 1, 20, 5:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
OP's DL is never extended, contrary to most of you.

Originally Posted by jmastron View Post
The Nevada DMV has an official extension to September 13 per https://dmvnv.com/index.htm, so technically and legally your license expiration date is now 9/13.
You are half right and half wrong.

Yes - NV DMV did offer an extension. The problem is OP is NOT subject to the extension. OP's DL expires in August, which is outside of the extension windows (March 12, 2020, through July 15, 2020).

NV DMV also mentions:

"If your license or other document expires July 15 or later and you are unable to renew on time, please make an appointment (at the metro offices), print the email confirmation and carry that with you. We have notified law enforcement of this issue."

Basically, it is a prosecution discretion rather than an extension.
Old Aug 1, 20, 6:32 pm

Originally Posted by garykung View Post
OP's DL is never extended, contrary to most of you.

You are half right and half wrong.

Yes - NV DMV did offer an extension. The problem is OP is NOT subject to the extension. OP's DL expires in August, which is outside of the extension windows (March 12, 2020, through July 15, 2020).

NV DMV also mentions:

"If your license or other document expires July 15 or later and you are unable to renew on time, please make an appointment (at the metro offices), print the email confirmation and carry that with you. We have notified law enforcement of this issue."

Basically, it is a prosecution discretion rather than an extension.
Dang, you're right -- that's a crappy trap to put people with licenses expiring 7/16-9/13 into, since their DMVs only reopened 6 weeks ago and require appointments that aren't available in time. And it seems they're prohibiting people from going to less-busy areas (on the appointments page they say they'll cancel any appointment a Reno resident tries to make in Carson City, and that "rural" offices are for rural residents only). Worth an email to your representatives and governor, at the very least.

OP, I'd probably be calling the DMV multiple times a day (and checking online) every day to see if they have any expedited appointments or cancellations. And if you can handle some uncertainty in your plans, I'd probably take a "moral extension" and change the expiration date on my Fastbreak anyway, and play innocent if they notice at checkout. But that only works if you can deal with not getting the car at the last minute.
Old Aug 1, 20, 11:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Back to scheduled program.

I'm planning to rent from Budget next weekend but my license will be technically expired until I can get it renewed in September. So far I haven't found any definitive info online.
I would call, or if you are local, visit the branch. That should be definitive enough.

Originally Posted by AutoSlash View Post
The other option is to put the rental in someone else's name who has a current license and then list yourself as an additional driver on the rental contract.
Do you know what's the problem with this? If Budget recognizes the expired DL, prosecution discretion or not, it is no longer a problem. But if Budget does not recognizes the expired DL, Budget will simply deny the additional driver. If there is any issue, OP and the companion can end up in DNR and face major consequences.

OP will be the driver nevertheless. So having another person on the RA simply complicates things.

It is definitely not your best advice I have seen so far.
Old Aug 2, 20, 7:33 pm
Original Poster

I appreciate feedback and input. I have a clarification and update, actually I am renting at the St Louis airport location so the rental is not occurring in Nevada. I picked up a car there this weekend and while I was there I spoke to the operations manager on duty about my DL being expired next weekend. I explained the situation to him and he said "I should be fine". Encouraging but I'm still not 100% confident it will be OK, we'll see. I always wanted to mention that I did a prepaid rental next weekend before it hit me my license is expiring but the reservation went thru fine, no problems there and they have my DL info in my profile so know they when it expires. Worst case if I can't rent next weekend I'll just Uber & Lyft it I guess until I can get it renewed. I do plan to bring a copy of renewal appointment as well for added safety. The last poster correctly copied the extension stipulations put out by the NV DMV and he's right, after July 15 their are no more extensions but it's screwy for people in my situation who are put into a position where they can't renew on time. It expires this Tues Aug. 4 but when I booked the renewal appointment a couple weeks ago the earliest date I could get in LV was Sept. 16. Oh well, it is what it is. I'll update this again after I find out how it goes next weekend. Thanks again for all the responses.
sdsearch likes this.
Old Aug 2, 20, 10:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I appreciate feedback and input. I have a clarification and update, actually I am renting at the St Louis airport location so the rental is not occurring in Nevada. I picked up a car there this weekend and while I was there I spoke to the operations manager on duty about my DL being expired next weekend. I explained the situation to him and he said "I should be fine". Encouraging but I'm still not 100% confident it will be OK, we'll see. I always wanted to mention that I did a prepaid rental next weekend before it hit me my license is expiring but the reservation went thru fine, no problems there and they have my DL info in my profile so know they when it expires. Worst case if I can't rent next weekend I'll just Uber & Lyft it I guess until I can get it renewed. I do plan to bring a copy of renewal appointment as well for added safety. The last poster correctly copied the extension stipulations put out by the NV DMV and he's right, after July 15 their are no more extensions but it's screwy for people in my situation who are put into a position where they can't renew on time. It expires this Tues Aug. 4 but when I booked the renewal appointment a couple weeks ago the earliest date I could get in LV was Sept. 16. Oh well, it is what it is. I'll update this again after I find out how it goes next weekend. Thanks again for all the responses.
Drive safely. Avoid being pull-over (I don't mean running away from the police).

NV law enforcement is notified for the situation. But it does not mean MO law enforcement is in the same boat. You are stretching the prosecution discretion like very thin ice.

Bring a copy of the website as well. Hopefully, the LEO can give you a pass for not having a valid license just in case.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: