Primary rental car insurance in a pinch

Old Jun 20, 2020, 10:08 am
Original Poster

Primary rental car insurance in a pinch

I realized too late that my Costco Visa offers primary insurance only outside the US.

I plan to rent a car for 20 days starting Tuesday. I don’t have any credit cards with primary car insurance.

I applied for a no annual fee Amex card to get access to their premium car rental insurance but I’m not going to receive the physical card in time. I have the number of the card and added it to my Apple Wallet, but I have not found an agency that will take payment electronically or through Apple Pay or the contactless payment method.

I’ve looked at Sureapp and insuremyrentalcar which offer similar coverage at $6.50/day.

Any other ideas?
Old Jun 20, 2020, 8:01 pm
Moderator: Avis and Rental Cars

Any ability to "pause" whatever primary insurance you have so the Costco becomes primary for these 20 days? Or if you have decent insurance, just rely on that for the rental.
Old Jun 20, 2020, 9:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by 49er
Any other ideas?
How about your own insurance and be careful? Or purchase the necessary plans from the rental company?

FWIW - there is a misconception about credit cards' primary rental coverage, which does not cover any damages you cause but the rental car itself. So having primary rental coverage is not sufficient.
m907 and kxc262 like this.
Old Jun 20, 2020, 11:39 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by garykung
How about your own insurance and be careful? Or purchase the necessary plans from the rental company?

FWIW - there is a misconception about credit cards' primary rental coverage, which does not cover any damages you cause but the rental car itself. So having primary rental coverage is not sufficient.
I'd rather not use my own insurance and expose it. The exposure isn't just from driving on a road trip, it's also the fact that someone else (the rental car company) decides whether or not you've damaged the car. So I prefer not expose my personal auto insurance to that.

The rental companies sell damage waivers, which are awesome since it waives the damages. The downside is the cost especially over long rentals. Sureapp and insuremyrentalcar are 1/3 the price and offer pretty good coverage. I'll probably go with one of those. Their only downside is that you have to make a claim and wait (hope) for it to get paid out.
Old Jun 21, 2020, 12:23 am

Unless you regularly crash cars or rent with bottom-tier rental companies, you're getting way too worked up.
kxc262 and Auto Enthusiast like this.
Old Jun 21, 2020, 2:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
I'd rather not use my own insurance and expose it. The exposure isn't just from driving on a road trip, it's also the fact that someone else (the rental car company) decides whether or not you've damaged the car. So I prefer not expose my personal auto insurance to that.
The exposure exists regardless you use the policy or not.

Remember - auto insurance is risk-based. So you total a rental car at fault. The waivers cover all of your liabilities. Still, there will be some kind of record showing you involve in an accident. That record will allow insurance companies to increase your premium, even it is not directly related to the insurance company.
Old Jun 21, 2020, 4:45 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by m907
Unless you regularly crash cars or rent with bottom-tier rental companies, you're getting way too worked up.
Possibly. I've never actually crashed a car or even been in a single accident that was my fault. I didn't think much about insurance and rental cars until I had my parked rental car hit 3 years ago; the offender didn't stick around. I'm glad I had primary insurance via my credit card at the time.
Old Jun 22, 2020, 3:03 am

Possibly. I've never actually crashed a car or even been in a single accident that was my fault. I didn't think much about insurance and rental cars until I had my parked rental car hit 3 years ago; the offender didn't stick around. I'm glad I had primary insurance via my credit card at the time.
So why the fuss? In the rare chance you get hit again, you pay your deductible and move on.
Old Jun 22, 2020, 1:41 pm

As someone mentioned, a key point is that (standard) rental car insurance does not cover LIABILITY. It only covers the damage to the vehicle itself.
So driving with the rental company's LDW, or credit card "rental car insurance" does not provide adequate coverage. Depending on state specific laws etc. it may vary, but it is essentially driving without insurance, just that the cost of your own (rental) car is covered in an accident.

Since insurance is already an arcane subject, and the way "rental car insurance" is used as a term, it's understandable that people frequently get them mixed up. But you will still need to cover your own liability of damage to other vehicles/humans/property when driving a rental car, one way or another (i.e. if you have enough financial resources you can just throw cash at someone's $200K hospital bills).
Old Nov 16, 2020, 2:34 am
Suspended

The rental companies sell damage waivers, which are awesome since it waives the damages. The downside is the cost especially over long rentals. Sureapp and insuremyrentalcar are 1/3 the price and offer pretty good coverage. I'll probably go with one of those. Their only downside is that you have to make a claim and wait (hope) for it to get paid out.
Saving money on the damage waivers also comes with an excess, and the most expensive of these are with the rental companies directly. They make more money out of selling you insurance and collecting the excess, than the rental itself. Some online car rental websites [ some ] have optional excess waivers bringing the excess to nil, built in for a fraction of the car rental price. The insurance eligibility depends on residency, but US/CA residents should be ok.

Last edited by IAHtraveler; Nov 16, 2020 at 8:17 am Reason: Deleted unnecessary comments.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.