FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Rental Car Discussion (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/rental-car-discussion-745/)
-   -   Alamo - Waiving "One Way" Fee (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/rental-car-discussion/2017925-alamo-waiving-one-way-fee.html)

GagaPilot May 17, 2020 6:03 pm

Alamo - Waiving "One Way" Fee

This might have already been discussed, and I apologize if it has, but I pleasantly found out today Alamo is waiving their "One Way Fees" where you rent the car from one location and return it to another.

I rented a car out of TLH airport almost 2 weeks ago. Today I found out my return flight for this Wednesday was cancelled. The easiest option for rebooking was to fly out of another airport (ECP) about 75 miles away. I called the local Alamo desk at TLH and they allowed me to change the return location for no additional fee due to the virus and its impacts on travel.

I rent cars maybe 4 or 5 times a year and have been choosing Alamo whenever possible. I continue to be satisfied and receive excellent customer service. Fingers crossed the return goes smoothly in a few days at the new location, but I imagine it will.

AutoSlash May 17, 2020 8:26 pm

Glad it worked out for you at Alamo. Just a note that most of the major companies are now waiving one-way fees due to the COVID-19 situation.

SinglePapa2 May 18, 2020 8:21 am

Originally Posted by AutoSlash (Post 32384112)
Glad it worked out for you at Alamo. Just a note that most of the major companies are now waiving one-way fees due to the COVID-19 situation.

What if I rented using my Thrifty points (that doesn't allow one-way rentals). Can I return in different location free?

randix May 20, 2020 3:30 am

Originally Posted by GagaPilot (Post 32383907)
This might have already been discussed, and I apologize if it has, but I pleasantly found out today Alamo is waiving their "One Way Fees" where you rent the car from one location and return it to another.

I've been a frequent Alamo renter over the years, and I have NEVER ever been quoted a drop off fee by Alamo on a one way rental, which I do frequently.

NCLSEA123 May 20, 2020 5:51 am

Originally Posted by randix (Post 32389627)
I've been a frequent Alamo renter over the years, and I have NEVER ever been quoted a drop off fee by Alamo on a one way rental, which I do frequently.

That’s because they typically build the fee into the rate. One ways are almost always more expensive than round trips. The only place I see drop fees any more are on foreign rentals, and one ways from enterprise local locations.

randix May 20, 2020 6:27 pm

Nope

Originally Posted by NCLSEA123 (Post 32389832)
That’s because they typically build the fee into the rate. One ways are almost always more expensive than round trips. The only place I see drop fees any more are on foreign rentals, and one ways from enterprise local locations.

The one way rates I get from Alamo (usually but not always, through AutoSlash), typically from LAS to the SFO area, or the SFO-MRY area to LAS, or PDX to SFO area or vice a versa, or SFO area to LAX or vice a versa, are so low, if there is a "fee [built] into the rate" it's inconsequential or $1, whichever is more. I'll stand by my experience that I have never been charged a "drop fee" by Alamo on a one way rental, whether quoted separated or "built in" to the price. And I've been doing "this" for years...

If I ever booked a one way rental from any agency, and thought there was a drop fee involved, I'd find an alternative option. I've yet to ever pay one.

NCLSEA123 May 20, 2020 9:19 pm

Originally Posted by randix (Post 32391668)
The one way rates I get from Alamo (usually but not always, through AutoSlash), typically from LAS to the SFO area, or the SFO-MRY area to LAS, or PDX to SFO area or vice a versa, or SFO area to LAX or vice a versa, are so low, if there is a "fee [built] into the rate" it's inconsequential or $1, whichever is more. I'll stand by my experience that I have never been charged a "drop fee" by Alamo on a one way rental, whether quoted separated or "built in" to the price. And I've been doing "this" for years...

If I ever booked a one way rental from any agency, and thought there was a drop fee involved, I'd find an alternative option. I've yet to ever pay one.

There's always exceptions but my statement was "generally speaking." Most stations the one way daily rate is significantly more expensive than the round-trip daily rate.

3544quebec May 20, 2020 9:23 pm

Many (?most) car rental agencies don't charge extra for oneways within/between California and Nevada and certain other markets but oneway fees/surcharges are the norm in most markets