Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > Rental Car Discussion
Reload this Page >

How late can you pickup your reservation before it is cancelled?

Old May 12, 20, 3:19 pm
Original Poster

I have a reservation (with Budget) for 4pm Friday to 4pm Tuesday (4 day rental). Airport location open 24 hours.

I will not be able to pickup the car till 8 / 8:30pm now.
Modifying and repricing the reservation now makes it $50 more due to price changes. So I'm considering leaving reservation as-is, and just picking up 4 hours late (I did make a more expensive cancellable backup reservation with Thrifty just in case for 8pm pickup).

Will they cancel my booking as no-show for being 4 hours late? What typically happens? I've often been late picking up about 30 minutes to an hour and it has never been an issue, but I'm wondering if it is an issue if it is 4-5 hours late?

Last edited by nomiiiii; May 12, 20 at 3:29 pm
Old May 12, 20, 3:43 pm
Company Representative - Autoslash

Picking up the car a few hours late is no problem at all with the major rental companies. You can relax. Your reservation will be waiting for you when you arrive.

That said, it’s worth entering it for tracking on our website. Prices may drop before Friday and you can re-book at a lower rate for your actual arrival time.
Old May 12, 20, 3:47 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
What airport?

A good chance if its any sizeable station that there is a lot full of cars waiting for anybody. Once upon a time, these were overbooked and you might find your reservation not cancelled, but no cars available. Unless it's TOM, not much to worry about.
Auto Enthusiast likes this.
Old May 13, 20, 7:11 pm
Original Poster

This is a major airport (MCO Orlando airport) so I'm not worried about cars running out.

Thanks - i'll keep the reservation and try my luck - worst case will have backup reservation. And yes, I always have autoslash running for price drops, and the original reservation was made via autoslash also
AutoSlash and Auto Enthusiast like this.
Old May 14, 20, 10:02 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

For comparison, it's two hours with Hertz.

"Should the customer arrive after the two (2) hour period, Hertz will attempt to provide a vehicle, but cannot guarantee availability."
Old May 15, 20, 8:51 pm

Programs: Alaska, Delta, Southwest
Originally Posted by dayone View Post
For comparison, it's two hours with Hertz.

"Should the customer arrive after the two (2) hour period, Hertz will attempt to provide a vehicle, but cannot guarantee availability."
Interesting - I was 6 hours late for a Hertz reservation a couple years ago (train was late) and the car in my text confirmation was still there. (But it was a UC location with plenty of availability anyway.)

Search this Thread
Search Engine: