Enterprise Forced Upgrade

Old Apr 7, 2020, 4:02 pm
Original Poster

Enterprise Forced Upgrade

Anyone have experience with Enterprise forcing them to upgrade at additional cost?

I had a reservation this weekend, for $17 per day. I chose the lowest rate since it was just for a few days while my car is in the shop. The rate was something like "we choose the car" or "manager's choice" or similar verbiage. My reservation receipt says Vehicle Class Vehicle determined upon pick-up (Compact or Larger) or Similar. When I got there, the car lot guy said he didn't have any in that car class and could only put me in an intermediate. He refused to honor the price on the reservation saying "that just means compact and we don't have any on the lot right now." The new price is $28 per day. I would have gone elsewhere since I don't like giving my business to those with shady practices, but it was getting close to noon on Saturday so I needed to rent something.

Does Enterprise have some sort of policy that allows them to do this? I can't imagine it wouldn't be a violation of some false advertising laws or something. The car is to go back Thursday morning. Should I try and press the issue upon return or just contact Enterprise Corporate by email after I return the car? I guess worst case scenario I have the reservation confirmation so I could always just file a chargeback with my credit card company, but every other car rental place I've worked with usually provides an upgrade for free if they can't honor the existing reservation. With the lot being as full as it was, and them only doing carside reservations (no one was allowed into the building due to the pandemic), I can't imagine they couldn't find SOMETHING to put me into and I'm guessing the salesman was trying to get some sort of commission for an upgrade?

Thanks for any ideas you guys have on how I should proceed!
Old Apr 7, 2020, 4:07 pm

Originally Posted by WuLabsWuTecH
When I got there, the car lot guy said he didn't have any in that car class and could only put me in an intermediate.
Very common during normal operations; very hard to believe during COVID-19 when nobody is renting cars.

He refused to honor the price on the reservation saying [...] The new price is $28 per day.
Bait and switch. Very illegal. Definitely bring this up with corporate support. If they don't refund you, go to your local news station. Post a review of the Enterprise branch on Yelp and Google with photos of your reservation and your receipt.
Old Apr 7, 2020, 4:44 pm
Company Representative - AutoSlash and HotelSlash

You were taken for a ride so-to-speak. The car class you booked means they can give you whatever is available but they are bound to honor the original price. You should call and speak with a manager. If you cannot get the manager on the phone or are still unhappy with the situation, ask for the phone number of the district manager. If necessary, call another Enterprise location in the area to get the district manager's phone number.
strickerj likes this.
Old Apr 7, 2020, 4:54 pm

Programs: DL PM 0.5MM, Hyatt Globalist, HHonors Gold, SPG Plat, Marriott Gold, Avis PC, National EE, Hertz PC
Furthermore, when you return the car, give the rental agent a 0 on the satisfaction survey - this happens when they ask you "How was your rental?" . The agents get measured based on satisfaction and are promoted from those surveys.
lowfareair likes this.
Old Apr 7, 2020, 4:59 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Do this in writing.

You have not provided a location so we can;t be sure, but most state / counties / cities have a price-gouging rule / order in effect and this conduct likely fits the order. Advise that if the funds are not refunded with X days (7?) you will make a complaint to whatever authority it is that is handling those complaints in the jurisdiction.

Only do this if you intend to follow up.

You also have an easy chargeback, but beware that Enterprise has a habit of placing chargeback customers on its DNR list. Only you know whether it's worth it for a few bucks.
Old Apr 9, 2020, 2:37 pm
Company Representative - Enterprise

EnterpriseCares

Hello! We have noticed your post and would be happy to take a look at your rental agreement with you. Please email [email protected] with your full name, contact information, the reservation or rental agreement number, the exact rental office location, the above information, and any other details so we can research this for you promptly. Thank you. Carol H. Social Monitoring Enterprise Rent A Car
Old Apr 10, 2020, 2:42 pm

Programs: AA PLT, AAdv since Day One
Originally Posted by enterprisecares
Hello! We have noticed your post and would be happy to take a look at your rental agreement with you. Please email [email protected] with your full name, contact information, the reservation or rental agreement number, the exact rental office location, the above information, and any other details so we can research this for you promptly. Thank you. Carol H. Social Monitoring Enterprise Rent A Car
Thank you for being proactive and looking into this. Please report back to this same thread what you find as many of us have an upcoming Enterprise reservation as well. Is this a policy or a one-off situation?
Old Apr 10, 2020, 7:02 pm

Hahaha I love how as these companies are getting desperate in the current pandemic they start sending their social media PR people onto the forums to actually address customer concerns. See the Avis PR rep's thread for more hilarity opcorn emoji:
Old Apr 10, 2020, 8:32 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
OP - Please report back with the specifics. Companies such as Enterprise do this in order to bury bad customer service stories.

You should be taken care of, but for the benefit of others, it is important for people to know what can be expected.
Old Apr 11, 2020, 5:40 am

Originally Posted by inlanikai
Thank you for being proactive and looking into this. Please report back to this same thread what you find as many of us have an upcoming Enterprise reservation as well. Is this a policy or a one-off situation?
Of course it's not policy. But Enterprise trains their people to make hard sells that often verge on dishonest, so it's not surprising that an employee would outright lie.
Old Apr 14, 2020, 11:08 am
Original Poster

Hello Friends! I have an update for you all:

I took AutoSlash's advice and when I returned the car, I asked to speak with a manager. They sales guy kept refusing to let me speak to a manager, but he did say he would honor the original price when he did the final write up. He then proceeded to get pissed at me for returning the car with an empty tank. (See separate thread, but in brief, apparently they don't like it when you return a car empty, even if you buy the fuel purchase option because it creates more work for them.) While he went in to do the write up, there was another guy out in the lot and I asked this other gentleman, "What's his problem?"

The gist I got was that rentals are way down and some salespeople are trying to pad their numbers because their percentages can be inflated just by adding on one or two upsells. He thinks that the salesman I got was trying to pad his numbers by upselling a car upgrade to me, but by lying about it being a forced option. He also noticed my prepay fuel option was $1.50 per gallon, $7.50 total. I told him the guy told me he was going to make me a great deal for the fuel prepay option if I'd take it and he did--it was 5 cents per gallon less than the gas station across the street. The gentleman I was talking with said he could always say it was an honest mistake if someone noticed he sold it to me for that cheap saying it should have been $7.50 per gallon and he just typed it in wrong, but if no one noticed it, he gets credit for an extra fuel prepay option sale for the month.

In any case, the employee came back and I checked the receipt. He mistyped the price on the car rental daily rate actually making it even less than the original reservation, but with his lack of courtesy towards me, I didn't feel inclined to point it out. I signed the document and went on my way.

I usually use Hertz for my car rentals and I think I'll probably end up going back to them, but with Enterprise being half the price of Hertz, I decided to give them a try. I'm not saying that I'll never go back to Enterprise again (well, certainly not at this location), but the whole ordeal felt very scammy to me and left me with a very poor impression of enterprise.

Also, I did not end up contacting corporate about this--I've been made whole and they ultimately honored their original reservation price so really no gripes other than very poor customer service and that's not really my job to tell them about and to help them fix.
strickerj likes this.
Old Apr 14, 2020, 2:43 pm

We're seeing some breakdowns in the system, breaking the 4th wall if you will, as employees are "leaking" their internal incentives and whatnot. Sure, I understand some long-term frequent customers become buddy-buddy with the employees and get this kind of info, but here it sounds like the employees are on edge and barely able to keep it in/together. Not a good sign. And the fact that they're trying to game you and their own system at every turn, even worse!

Glad you ultimately made out alright.
strickerj likes this.
Old Apr 14, 2020, 5:37 pm
Original Poster

I can imagine how much pressure they must be under to outperform their coworkers especially if they are cutting hours, but that is never an excuse of unethical behavior. Had he not pulled the "forced upgrade" thing, I would have happily bought the prepaid fuel and he would have had some extra brownie points and I'd probably have had a great experience, but as it stands, I feel my experience was pretty poor.

I usually rent with Hertz and I've never felt high pressure sales tactics there. I wonder if it's just company culture?
Old Apr 14, 2020, 7:27 pm

I wonder if it's just company culture?
Definitely. National, owned by the same group, steers clear of the slimy sales nonsense.

I've never experienced unethical sales at Enterprise but I've faced:

(LAX area) outrageous delays upon car return for a meticulous hand inspection. At National, "drop and go."
(BNA - Nashville) repeated insistence for me to pay to upgrade. "How about this car" "wouldn't this be a nice car" yada yada. I'm too nice of a person to have said something like "yeah, why not upgrade me for free?"

I won't rent from Enterprise if it's $0.01 and National is $1000.
Old Apr 15, 2020, 7:18 am

Originally Posted by davie355
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/undefined

Definitely. National, owned by the same group, steers clear of the slimy sales nonsense.

I've never experienced unethical sales at Enterprise but I've faced:

(LAX area) outrageous delays upon car return for a meticulous hand inspection. At National, "drop and go."
(BNA - Nashville) repeated insistence for me to pay to upgrade. "How about this car" "wouldn't this be a nice car" yada yada. I'm too nice of a person to have said something like "yeah, why not upgrade me for free?"

I won't rent from Enterprise if it's $0.01 and National is $1000.
As I said in the other thread, EHI trains Enterprise employees to harass customers and National employees to bend over backwards for them. It makes no sense.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.