Community
Wiki Posts
Search

EZ pass with no car

Search this Thread

Old Feb 25, 2020, 7:11 am

Just a note that NY MTA crossing take a picture of every vehicle even if your tag is read there will be a picture taken also used tor enforcement of carpool activated transponders.
cestmoi123 and ecgz88 like this.
Old Feb 26, 2020, 4:10 pm

I am so confused.

What I gather....

NC: $7.49 transponder ($16.49 flex transponder which can be used to show one is in a HOV compliant car with enough passengers). No monthly fee. $20 minimum pre-paid tolls
PA: ________ (?), $3 annual fee and higher pre-paid tolls required.

NY: I think there are mobile units in Manhattan that sell it. They move around and are in a different location every day. I think there's no monthly fee. I don't know.
EDIT: NY costs $25 ($30 in Long Island and NYC). All of that is prepaid tolls so the net cost for the transponder is zero.

Last edited by A318neo; Feb 26, 2020 at 4:16 pm
Old Feb 28, 2020, 10:47 pm

Originally Posted by dand99
... and reporting back.

The experience was not good. I picked up an EZpass at a retail outlet and registered it online, with my rental plates. Waited 24 hours then used it. I had my picture taken (saw flash) at least twice in PA. Drove to NJ where they still have toll signals and confirmations, had "payment confirmed/collected" showing when I went through EZpass lanes, so the transponder was working.

Called up customer service, they said they could see no transactions at all on my account (had been 48 hours+ since using in PA). Since then I have had my NJ transactions post but only one single PA transaction.

It's going to be a mess now, best case is they send me violations by mail based on plate number, worst case all goes to rental company and I have to deal with fines, admin fees an so on.

Definitely a fail....
There is always a flash in the toll booths I go through in Pennsylvania. They take a picture of every car whether it has an EZPass or not.
Old Feb 29, 2020, 4:36 pm

Additionally PA tolls can take a couple of business days (up to 5 calendar days) to post. But my experience is with a NY EZPass
Old Mar 4, 2020, 8:18 am

I bought a PA EZ Pass from ACME in Philly. The packaging stated and the CS rep confirmed to me that it takes 24 hours to activate for PA tolls and 48 for out of state tolls. As I left it too late without realising this, I went with the rental company EZ Pass. In Philly, rental companies do unlimited toll for about $16.49 a day.

As of January 2020, you no longer get EZ Pass discount in NY for out of state and it takes the cash rate ($16). If I drive on a Saturday, it posts on a Tuesday on my EZ Pass app.
Old Mar 5, 2020, 9:48 am

Originally Posted by 5557223
I bought a PA EZ Pass from ACME in Philly. The packaging stated and the CS rep confirmed to me that it takes 24 hours to activate for PA tolls and 48 for out of state tolls. As I left it too late without realising this, I went with the rental company EZ Pass. In Philly, rental companies do unlimited toll for about $16.49 a day.

As of January 2020, you no longer get EZ Pass discount in NY for out of state and it takes the cash rate ($16). If I drive on a Saturday, it posts on a Tuesday on my EZ Pass app.
Most Northeastern states (NY, NJ, MA, DE, MD come to mind) have charged EZ Passes issued out of state higher or cash rates for at least 4-5 years now.

In terms of buying the unlimited package, shorter trips to/thru NYC (especially going thru Staten Island and/or using a Hudson River crossing) may warrant the unlimited toll packages. I opted for one myself on a one-way back to NY despite having a NY EZPass, as the cost would be $20 for the package including tax vs $35-40 for all tolls.
Auto Enthusiast likes this.
Old Apr 5, 2020, 1:29 pm

Programs: Southwest
Originally Posted by dand99
... and reporting back.

The experience was not good. I picked up an EZpass at a retail outlet and registered it online, with my rental plates. Waited 24 hours then used it. I had my picture taken (saw flash) at least twice in PA. Drove to NJ where they still have toll signals and confirmations, had "payment confirmed/collected" showing when I went through EZpass lanes, so the transponder was working.

Called up customer service, they said they could see no transactions at all on my account (had been 48 hours+ since using in PA). Since then I have had my NJ transactions post but only one single PA transaction.

It's going to be a mess now, best case is they send me violations by mail based on plate number, worst case all goes to rental company and I have to deal with fines, admin fees an so on.

Definitely a fail....
You need to wait about three days (72 hours) from when you purchase and activate the transponder until you use it at toll facilities in other states. The reason being, the different authorities upload data batches of newly activated transponders to one another every three days. This listing is what the authorities use to properly identify and route the toll charges back to the host agency and ultimately the account holder.
Old Jul 19, 2021, 7:39 am

Originally Posted by restrictonthehanger
Most Northeastern states (NY, NJ, MA, DE, MD come to mind) have charged EZ Passes issued out of state higher or cash rates for at least 4-5 years now.
I have a related question, hope it's fine to reply to this old thread as some things may have changed since then (in particular the new PA turnpike cash rates).

I live in PA, don't own a car but rent from time to time. Does anyone know if the PA turnpike advertised E-ZPass rates apply to the NC Quick Pass as well, or do Quick Pass users get the cash rate instead?
Old Jul 20, 2021, 11:04 am

Originally Posted by kshahar
I have a related question, hope it's fine to reply to this old thread as some things may have changed since then (in particular the new PA turnpike cash rates).

I live in PA, don't own a car but rent from time to time. Does anyone know if the PA turnpike advertised E-ZPass rates apply to the NC Quick Pass as well, or do Quick Pass users get the cash rate instead?
PA does not charge different rates based on an E-ZPass issuing agency. I have NC Quick Pass in Philly and I am charged the E-ZPass rate.
Old Jul 21, 2021, 12:51 pm

Originally Posted by MASTERNC
PA does not charge different rates based on an E-ZPass issuing agency. I have NC Quick Pass in Philly and I am charged the E-ZPass rate.
MasterNC is correct. I drove thru PA with a NY MTA issued EZPass in May and June and was charged the EZPass discounted rate. Same should apply to the Quickpass.
Old Aug 27, 2021, 7:55 am

Originally Posted by MASTERNC
Originally Posted by restrictonthehanger
MasterNC is correct. I drove thru PA with a NY MTA issued EZPass in May and June and was charged the EZPass discounted rate. Same should apply to the Quickpass.
Thanks! I used the NC Quick Pass in PA on my recent trip through I-476 and everything seemed to work as you described. I was indeed charged the E-ZPass rate and not the increased "cash" / plate rate. I did register my rental vehicle on the Quick Pass portal a few hours before driving through the toll road. It took almost 3 days for the charges to appear in my account.
Old Aug 27, 2021, 10:55 am

Thanks! I used the NC Quick Pass in PA on my recent trip through I-476 and everything seemed to work as you described. I was indeed charged the E-ZPass rate and not the increased "cash" / plate rate. I did register my rental vehicle on the Quick Pass portal a few hours before driving through the toll road. It took almost 3 days for the charges to appear in my account.
On my last trip I incurred tolls in NY (EZPass based there), NJ, DE, MD, and PA, along with a few multistate bridge authorities. NY and NJ usually post same day, DE/PA/bridge agencies took 1-3 days, and MD took almost a whole month(!) So your out of state experience is typical, good to hear there were no issues.
Old Aug 3, 2022, 9:26 am

If you are using the Quick Pass transponder with rental vehicles, my suggestion is to not add them to your account. I got charged for tolls based on plate number before I had the vehicle in my possession (and before it was added to the account), and reversing them requires you to jump through hoops including a sworn affidavit in front of a notary.
Old Aug 20, 2022, 10:41 am

If you are using the Quick Pass transponder with rental vehicles, my suggestion is to not add them to your account. I got charged for tolls based on plate number before I had the vehicle in my possession (and before it was added to the account), and reversing them requires you to jump through hoops including a sworn affidavit in front of a notary.
that's a good reminder, is it because people rent before you occur toll and there's a billing delay?

So just put the NC quick pass in your rental car and hope the tolls station catches the signal?
Old Aug 20, 2022, 9:17 pm

Just a data point on something that could come up with rental cars: NY Thruway will only allow a plate to be attached to one ez-pass at a time. You'll just be blocked from attaching your EZ-Pass to the plate if someone else already has registered that plate on their account.

So if someone registered that rental car to their EZ-Pass and didn't de-register it, I guess you'll have to call in?

Not sure if this is system-wide or not.

(My issue happened with a family member, so I was able to call the family member and have it removed from their account).

Don't forget to de-register it from your rental when you're done!

But as more tolls go "booth-less", I can see this issue coming up more and more.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.