Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Rental car breakdown

Search this Thread

Old Sep 3, 2019, 10:18 pm
Original Poster

Rental car breakdown

wanted to share my recent car rental with you while traveling to Spain. I am unable to find any information online and therefore sharing my story as well as seeking information and advice

We rented a car in Barcelona with Enterprise ( booked through priceline), and used the Chase Saphire Reserve to cover the insurance. We were driving to San sebastian and our car started making some noise closer to our destination. We made it to the destination , but next day morning the car did not start. We called enterprise and they sent a mechanic to check. He was also not able to start the car and towed it. We went to the Enterprise office at San sebastian and the guy told us the car had an issue and we can take a replacement car. To our knowledge, we believe enterprise gave us a faulty car. However, enterprise just sent us a bill for 4500 euros to cover the damage cost. We are clueless at this point - will we have to pay this out of pocket, can chase cover this or how do we fight it with the rental company , especially since they have limited support staff in English. Any guidance will be helpful.
Old Sep 3, 2019, 10:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Mittalakshat13
wanted to share my recent car rental with you while traveling to Spain. I am unable to find any information online and therefore sharing my story as well as seeking information and advice

We rented a car in Barcelona with Enterprise ( booked through priceline), and used the Chase Saphire Reserve to cover the insurance. We were driving to San sebastian and our car started making some noise closer to our destination. We made it to the destination , but next day morning the car did not start. We called enterprise and they sent a mechanic to check. He was also not able to start the car and towed it. We went to the Enterprise office at San sebastian and the guy told us the car had an issue and we can take a replacement car. To our knowledge, we believe enterprise gave us a faulty car. However, enterprise just sent us a bill for 4500 euros to cover the damage cost. We are clueless at this point - will we have to pay this out of pocket, can chase cover this or how do we fight it with the rental company , especially since they have limited support staff in English. Any guidance will be helpful.
Have you received full details on the damage (in writing)?
Was it a diesel car? Did you put petrol/gas in it?
Do you the written receipts for any fuel you put in it?
Do you have photo's of it?
Claim on your insurance?
Old Sep 3, 2019, 10:25 pm
Original Poster

It was a petrol car and that's what we fueled. They sent us a bill which has charges for almost everything from battery change to gearbox change. The battery cannot die when we drove the car for less than one day after taking it ( we picked the cat at 230 pm and reported next morning at 10).
the issue is since it's a car breakdown, insurance might not cover it ( not an accident ) . Can provide more details on the charges.
Old Sep 3, 2019, 10:35 pm

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
Originally Posted by Mittalakshat13

Check your Chase coverage. I just read the benefits guide earlier this week and it has the clause below which says mechanical breakdown is not covered. But definitely check yourself to make sure if it is covered or not.

https://cdn.f9client.com/api3/file/1...a3cad4b103b149

What else is not covered?
Wear and tear, gradual deterioration, or mechanical breakdown
Old Sep 3, 2019, 10:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

A transmission/gearbox fault would not normally stop a car from starting. Auto or manual?
Noise from where? (but can be hard to determine if you are not mechanically inclined)
Rough running and/or not starting often fuel and/or ignition problems
Did it rain or good weather (~ignition)?
How many km's did you drive?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.