Total loss for wrong fuel

Old Jul 17, 2019, 4:18 pm

Originally Posted by TGLoyalty
As it’s a 2014 model I would suspect it would be fitted with a mis fuelling device.

Its physically possible to fill a diesel with petrol as the petrol nozzle is narrower than the inlet but cars have been fitted with Mis fuelling caps for a while now. You could probably check Jetta specs for your country online to see if diesel models from that year come with them as standard.

Also 50% petrol and 50% diesel really isn’t going to cause that sort of failure in a diesel car, siphon the tank empty, fill it with full tank of diesel and it would be fine.The other way round you’d probably have a write off on your hands after a few miles.
Starting in 2013, VW TDI's also have a safety device that is supposed to prevent misfueling, but in practice, never underestimate a person's ability to screw things up. Unfortunately, 2009+ TDI's are highly prone to having the high pressure fuel pump fail, which can indeed be caused by even a 50/50 mixture of gasoline. This is a very expensive repair, which would explain the outrageous repair cost. However, that is definitely not a job that any Volvo dealer would be performing, since they lack the correct equipment, training, and very few Volvo mechanics in the USA would know anything about diesels in the first place. In addition, why mention that the customer 'admitted to filling with diesel' if the car is indeed a diesel? The OP definitely needs to get all of the documentation together and go from there. Either they were given incorrect information or they are being lied to.
Old Jul 17, 2019, 8:57 pm

The OP claims the customer said they improperly filled a diesel car with gasoline.
Old Jul 17, 2019, 10:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
OP - the whole thing sounds very fishy.

1. The VW in question is a vehicle subject to the Dieselgate. Advantage may be able to arrange a buy back from VW.

2. While it is possible that a car rental company brings the car to any repair shop, including a Volvo dealership (it is a repair shop nevertheless), why is there no towing charge? If the car was really damaged by filling up the wrong fuel, the very first thing happened should be the engine failed to start.

3. Total loss only happens when the estimated repair cost exceeds the residual value. But in this case, $6000 repair bill v. total loss?

Something is definitely not right here.

You should probably consult with an attorney as I do believe this can be both insurance, mail and/or wire fraud. You may consider contacting the police or CA AG.

And don't pay anything unless everything has been cleared.
strickerj likes this.
Old Jul 18, 2019, 4:18 am

Originally Posted by garth.suhr
I am 100% certain I put diesel in the tank, and unless Viking can retrieve actual proof that the tank was filled with gas, a fuel sample, an incident report detailing the issues encountered that lead them to bring it to Volvo, a diagnosis from Volvo detailing what lead to the supposed breakdown, anything other than "this is what an Advantage employee said" I see very little proof of their claim other then what an employee states and will most certainly take legal action to defend myself.

As you guys stated it is very odd they even brought a Volkswagen to a Volvo dealership for an estimate/repairs in the first place. Even the damage report filled out by the Advantage employee has absolutely nothing filled out except a hand written note saying "16: Customer put gas in diesel tank" and due to the numerous errors in the paperwork including Volvo writing in "customer states he put gas in a diesel engine" and listing some guy named Matt from Advantage as the customer as well as numerous missing pieces of evidence to support their claims I don't think they will have very much of a case.
The burden of proof is on them. Put in writing that you decline to pay. You don't even need to get a lawyer involved yet. Chances are they will just leave you alone if you are assertive. And of course if they do actually try to take action against you then be prepared to fight it.
strickerj likes this.
Old Jul 18, 2019, 9:16 am

I would only contact the company via email. A paper trail is your best friend. I'd see if I could escalate with Arco to provide you with a copy of the receipt. I would also request proof that the car was damaged and repaired and that it was the same car you rented.
I now take pictures of all my receipts and of the car on the day I rent and the day I return the vehicle. I also am pretty obvious when I do so, which might deter them from trying to make a false damage claim.
Old Jul 18, 2019, 1:54 pm

Programs: AA EXP...couple hotels and cars too
Originally Posted by Often1
The smart move is somewhere inbetween.

Phone calls are 100% the way to go. Until you reach a resolution. Whether it is good or bad, that is something you confirm in writing. Billion dollar negotiations are handled this way and no reason to play amateur lawyer when you aren't one.

lol

You assume they are honest brokers. I don't.

OP, follow this advice at your peril.
Old Jul 18, 2019, 7:46 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Originally Posted by m907
In most places the diesel dispenser is a different size than the gas dispenser to prevent mixups, so you would remember if you had difficulty getting the hose to fit in the tank.
A diesel nozzle is slightly larger than a gasoline nozzle. A diesel nozzle won't fit a gasoline car, but gasoline nozzle will fit a diesel car.
TWA884 likes this.
Old Jul 19, 2019, 12:02 am

Programs: National Executive, HHonors Gold, IHG Platinum, Hyatt Visitor
Originally Posted by dayone
A diesel nozzle is slightly larger than a gasoline nozzle. A diesel nozzle won't fit a gasoline car, but gasoline nozzle will fit a diesel car.
Or the Advantage people stuck a gasoline nozzle into the car after you returned it and stuck some gas into it and screwed it up... and are blaming you.

You really need that gasoline receipt... and because of the gas station you used, you are going to have A LOT of fun getting it... push until you get it... did you pay it PIN Debit or Credit? If Credit, you probably have to make a retrieval request from the bank because this station doesn't process Credit over Arco's network it only processes PIN Debit over Arco's network. That also means the credit receipt won't show what you bought because it is run through a stand alone terminal not connected to the gas pump and your gas with a Credit card was basically rung through the register like a cash sale... so I hope you used PIN Debit and if so contact their customer service and they should be able to get you the receipt that is through the Arco network (cash register that is connected to gas pump).
TWA884 likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.