Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > Rental Car Discussion
Reload this Page >

Europcar Aberdeen Airport - Rental Denied - Can't Prove Credit Card Cover

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 14, 2019, 11:12 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA GS 3Million, Marriott/SPG LIFETIME Platinum - current Titanium, HHonors Diamond

Just got treated to some really obnoxious service and ended up not being able to rent a car at the Aberdeen (Scotland, UK) airport location of Europcar. Had a prepaid reservation from Expedia paid for with my Chase Sapphire Reserve card.and the counter guy asked me if I knew whether a Vauxhall Astra was covered. He claimed that some US credit cards didn't cover cars that weren't sold in the US. [I should add for reference here that I have rented from Europcar in the UK about 6 times in the past 2 years] I pulled up the benefits PDF from Chase for him to read and he said "it says 'covers most cars', can you prove that this car would be covered.

He then "tried" to call the Chase Visa line - and claimed that the number didn't work (I'm starting to doubt his (a) veracity and (b) ability at this time). I asked to speak to a supervisor and he indicated that he was "alone" and I told him to call a supervisor and he refused. He then told me he didn't like my tone of voice (really, tone of voice - I had been polite the full 20 minutes of this charade) and he refused to rent me the car.

I am - suffice it to say - in shock. This doesn't make a huge difference to me in terms of my trip - I'll pick up a car from Hertz in the morning for about $60 more a week - but I've never heard of this in years of renting in the UK and throughout Europe.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.