Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > Rental Car Discussion
Reload this Page >

ALAmo car rental from Los Angeles, adding an extra driver

Old Jul 14, 19, 6:57 am
Original Poster

Hi,

Me and my brother are planning a very long road trip around the California coast, upto Vancouver (Canada) and back via Montana to Los Angeles. I have decided on Alamo (LAX) for renting the car.

I would like to add my brother as the second driver.

I find that in the final price details of Alamo, 4 additional drivers have been included for free. Is this correct ?? Or will I be charged at the counter for the extra driver ?

The FAQ mentions for CA, additional driver charges are free for a spouse. Is this also extended to a sibling. Both me and my brother have the same addresses on the driving licenses.

I also find that logging into Alamo Insiders program, the rates are significantly higher. Do you think its better to book as a guest? as I get better price then..

thanks
a
Old Jul 14, 19, 7:12 am
Company Representative - Autoslash

All additional drivers are free in the state of California by law. More informaiton can be found in this blog post on our website.

As far as prices go, shop around. Pricing can be different on various sites, and it's not uncommon to get one price when logging into a loyalty program and another when logged in as a guest. You can always have them add your Alamo Insiders member number at the counter (although honestly, it doesn't really buy you anything) and even if your Insiders number is not applied to the reservation, you can usually use Alamo's online check-in (OLCI) feature or just head to one of the automated kiosks upon arrival to skip the line.
Old Jul 14, 19, 11:13 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the reply. I have indeed looked around for competitive prices. I find that prices quoted by aggregators are quite cheap. However I was told there could be hidden charges, which I would be charged at the counter. Also I believe these prices do not include 'Extended Protection' like third party liability etc. Alamo charges 13.2 USD per day for the extended protection, this works out to approximately $350 for 27 days.

Is the extended protection really required? My credit card does not offer any benefits for car rentals.
Is it true that rental companies could block a significant amount on the credit card as security in case I don't opt for Extended Protection??
Old Jul 15, 19, 5:38 am
Company Representative - Autoslash

Prices charged by reputable websites (do your homework) should not have hidden charges. Just be sure to read the terms and conditions for the rental. As far as Extended Protection goes, also called Supplementary Liability Insurance or Protection (SLI/SLP), it specifically covers damage you may do to the property of others or injuries you may cause in an accident. This is different from CDW which appears to have been added automatically to the rate you booked. Some credit cards in the US offer CDW protection, but none of them offer EP/SLI/SLP, however if you own a car in the US, you are often covered for liability by your personal insurance policy. If you don't live in the US, this would not apply.
Old Aug 7, 19, 5:01 am

Programs: Miles&Smiles, Flying Blue
Does anyone knows is it possible to add an additional driver without his presence while picking up, just with the photo of his driver license?
Cause I'll take a car by myself and will pick up additional driver a bit later.
Old Aug 7, 19, 8:11 am
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles

Programs: AAdvantage | MileagePlus
Originally Posted by DenysK View Post
Does anyone knows is it possible to add an additional driver without his presence while picking up, just with the photo of his driver license?
Cause I'll take a car by myself and will pick up additional driver a bit later.
No, the additional driver must be present in order to be authorized to drive the car. That, however, does not have to be done at the time of pickup, you can do that later at any Alamo location.
AutoSlash likes this.

Search this Thread