Forgot wallet, renting a car in the US

Old Jun 27, 19, 6:41 am
Original Poster

Forgot wallet, renting a car in the US

I'm on a trip from Europe to US and was an idiot and left my wallet at home, containing my credti card and drivers license. Is renting and driving a car in this situation just an impossiblity? I do have my passport, and photocopies of my license and credit card (and also google pay on mobile).
Old Jun 28, 19, 4:31 pm
Moderator: Avis and Rental Cars

Programs: US Platinum, United 1k, HHonors Diamond, Avis CC, Priority Club Platinum, Marriott Gold
Very unlikely without a physical license. As a Chairman, Avis wouldn't help me once when I was in a similar situation. As a President's Circle Hertz member, I pleaded with the manager (I had a copy of mine as well, and they had all my matching info in my profile). They finally agreed that if I could log into my state's DL site and prove my license was still valid/not suspended, they would rent to me. They charged a crazy walk-up rate, but it was better than using taxis.
m907 likes this.
Old Jul 1, 19, 3:25 am

Maybe your country's embassy/consulate could help get you a temporary license.
Old Jul 1, 19, 4:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Gold
I don't think any of the rental car companies accept contactless or mobile wallets in the US (though if anyone knows of any, that'd be good to know for future reference).

That said, this post does remind me of the various mobile driver's license efforts that some states are doing. Are the various companies a) aware of those and b) okay with showing those instead of a physical card?

Search this Thread